Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2006, 07:30 AM
    How often should you have your septic tank cleaned out?
    Just wondering how often you should have septic pumped? I have 2 full baths, dishwasher, Clothes Washer, 2 utility sinks, etc... My wife and I are the only onesliving here. Thanks in advance for the help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme42583
    Just wondering how often you should have septic pumped? I have 2 full baths, dishwasher, Clothes Washer, 2 utility sinks, ect... My wife and I are the only onesliving here. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Clean your septic tank every 1 to 3 years. How often depends on the size of the tank and how many solids go into it. A rule of thumb is once every 3 years for a 1,000 gallon tank serving a 3-bedroom home with 4 occupants (and with no garbage disposal). Or at least check to see if if it needs it.

Let me give you a few pointers. Since the septic tank is such an essential part of a sewage system, here are some points to remember about the "care and feeding" of that part of the onsite sewage treatment system.
    A "starter" is not needed for bacterial action to begin in a septic tank. Many bacteria are present in the materials deposited into the tank and will thrive under the growth conditions present.
    If you feel that an additive is needed, be aware that some may do great harm. Additives that advertise to "eliminate" tank cleaning may cause the sludge layer to fluff up and be washed out into the drainfield, plugging soil pores. Some additives, particularly degreasers, may contain carcinogens (cancer-causing) or suspected carcinogens that will flow into the ground water along with the water from the soil treatment unit.
    Send all sewage into the septic tank. Don't run laundry wastes directly into the drainfield, since soap or detergent scum will plug the soil pores, causing failure.
    Normal amounts of household detergents, bleaches, drain cleaners, and other household chemicals can be used and won't stop the bacterial action in the septic tank. But don't use excessive amounts of any household chemicals. Do not dump cleaning water for latex paint brushes and cans into the house sewer.
    Don't deposit coffee grounds, cooking fats, wet-strength towels, disposable diapers, facial tissues, cigarette butts, and other non-decomposable materials into the house sewer. These materials won't decompose and will fill the septic tank and plug the system. To use a 5-gallon toilet flush to get rid of a cigarette butt is also very wasteful of water. Keep an ash tray in the bathroom, if necessary.
    Avoid dumping grease down the drain. It may plug sewer pipes or build up in the septic tank and plug the inlet. Keep a separate container for waste grease and throw it out with the garbage.
    If you must use a garbage disposal, you will likely need to remove septic tank solids every year or more often. Ground garbage will likely find its way out of the septic tank and plug up the drainfield. It is better to compost, incinerate, or deposit the materials in the garbage that will be hauled away. As one ad says, "You can pay me now, or pay me later."

Using too much soap or detergent can cause problems with the septic system. It is difficult to estimate how dirty a load of laundry is, and most people use far more cleaning power than is needed. If there are lots of suds in your laundry tub when the washer discharges, cut back on the amount of detergent for the next similar load. It's generally best not to use inexpensive detergents which may contain excessive amounts of filler or carrier. Some of these fillers are montmorillonite clay, which- is used to seal soils! The best solution may be to use a liquid laundry detergent, since they are less likely to have carriers or fillers that may harm the septic system.
    Each septic system has a certain capacity. When this capacity is reached or exceeded, there will likely be problems because the system won't take as much sewage as you want to discharge into it. When the onsite sewage treatment system reaches its daily capacity, be conservative with your use of water. Each gallon of water that flows into the drain must go through the septic tank and into the soil absorption unit. Following are some ways to conserve water that should cause little hardship in anyone's standard of living:
    Be sure that there are no leaking faucets or other plumbing fixtures. Routinely check the float valve on all toilets to be sure it isn't sticking and the water isn't running continuously. It doesn't take long for the water from a leaking toilet or a faucet to add up. A cup of water leaking out of a toilet every minute doesn't seem like much but that's 90 gallons a day! So be sure that there is no water flowing into the sewer when all water-using appliances are supposed to be off.
    The most effective way to reduce the sewage flow from a house is to reduce the toilet wastes, which usually account for about 40 percent of the sewage flow. Many toilets use 5 to 6 gallons per flush. Some of the so-called low water use toilets are advertised to use only 3.5 gallons per flush. Usually the design of the bowl hasn't been changed, however, and often two flushes are needed to remove all solids. That's 7 gallons! Toilets are available which have been redesigned and will do a good job with one gallon or less per flush. Using a 1-gallon toilet rather than a 5 gallon toilet will reduce sewage flows from a home by about a third. This reduction may be more than enough to make the sewage system function again. While prices may vary, 1.6 gallon toilets can usually be purchased in the $200 range, far less than the cost of a new sewer system. Baths and showers can use lots of water. "Setting up camp" in the shower with a shower head flow of 5 gallons per minute will require 100 gallons in 20 minutes. Shower heads that limit the flow to 1.5 or 2 gallons per minute are available and should be used. Filling the tub not quite so full and limiting the length of showers will result in appreciable water savings.
    Is the water from the faucet cold enough to drink? How long do you let it run to cool down? Keep a container of drinking water in the refrigerator. Then it won't be necessary to run water from your faucets in order to get a cool drink.
    There may be other ways to conserve water that you can think of in your home. The main idea is to consider water as a valuable resource and not to waste it.
    Following a few simple rules like not using too much water and not depositing materials in the septic tank that bacteria can't decompose should help to make a septic system trouble-free for m, too! Any years. But don't forget the septic tank does need to be cleaned out when too many solids builtreatment system.
    With a water meter you can determine how much water your automatic washer uses per cycle. Many washers now have settings to reduce the amount of water used for small loads. Front loading washers and suds savers use less water than top loading machines. If your sewage treatment system is reaching its maximum capacity, try to spread the washing out during the week to avoid overloading the sewage system on a single day. Septic tanks need tender, loving care too. Regards, tom

Mar 6, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Lots of info... thanks Tom... is there anyway to know when your septic is getting full or not?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Lots of info...thanks Tom...is there anyway to know when your septic is getting full or not?
    The only way to tell would be to open the inspection ports and check. Cheers, Tom

Mar 8, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Thanks for the info again. Where should I look for the inspection ports?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Ok, how do you find your septic tank, we bought a house though a bankruptcy sale, so the old owners were not precent nor wanted to have anything to do with the people "stealing" their home from them.

And on an average what would one expect to pay to have the tank pumped out.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the info again. Where should I look for the inspection ports?
    The inspection ports can be found at each end of the septic tank. This is so you can check the inlet and outlet of the tank. Regards, Tom

Mar 8, 2006, 06:39 AM
    FR Chuck... well I am no expert. But I can explain what I would look for in trying to find a septic tank. Normally I believe if you walk around your home and see an area that is raised up in elevation and at the top of the raised elevation... there is a concrete pad or something to that effect. On mine, there is a concrete pad with somehooks on it. I assume this is where the cleanout crew would pull tha off and have access to the tank. I have a friend that owns a clean out crew. Last I heard it was $300ish to pump the tank. Again, I am not totally sure of this price. Also, I would assume that the price would depend on some factors.

1. Where it is located?
    2. How easy is it to get to?
    3. How big of a tank?
    4. Location of where you live?

Again, I am not totally sure on this info I am just assuming.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok, how do you find your septic tank, we bought a house though a bankruptcy sale, so the old owners were not precent nor wanted to have anything to do with the people "stealing" thier home from them.

And on an average what would one expect to pay to have the tank pumped out.
    Hey Chuck,

We locate a hiden septic tank with a probe, sometimes called a "sounding rod".
    This is a 1/4" steel rod about 4' long withy a pointy end.
    We start at the cleanout and probe down until we hit the sewer pipe. We then follow,(probe) the line out to the tank. When we reach the tank we then probe around the outline of the tank to locate the two ends. The inspection ports will be located next to each end giving you access to both inlet and outlet.
    Extreme gave you a much better answer then I could about the cost of having it pumped. Regards, Tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Hi,
    Just a few thoughts on septic tanks.
    Tom covered this one about grease going down the drain. I use an empty coffee can, pour all grease into it, then wipe out the pan, etc, with a paper towel, before going into the dishwasher. The can of grease gets put into the garbage before completely full.
    We have a garbage disposal, but nothing with grease goes into it. Anything greasy goes into the garbage.
    My septic tank is a very old one, concrete. Had to "drill" and put a hole in the top, so I could put some concrete blocks over it, with the "holes" being used to put a pumping trucks' hose into, to pump out the tank. The top of the tank itself is about 3 ft. under the ground. The top of the concrete blocks have a small 1 in. think concrete block, with grass over it, about 4 in. beneath the ground; easy to find using a screwdriver into the ground.
    I agree with about 3 yrs to pump one out. I have a stick, actually an old fishing pole, marked with where the water is just below the drain pipe into the tank. I can check the water level anytime, looking at the mark. If it starts being above the mark, then it's time to pump it. Been about 4 yrs now, since last time.
    Cost of pumping here in the Great Smokey Mountain area of VA is about $200 now.
    lm1363 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Average cost to pump septic tank in atlanta area and how often should it be cleaned
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2008, 06:50 AM
    The average septic tank needs to be checked and pumped, if necessary, every three years.( Go back and read my septic tank facts.) More if you have a disposal installed. Figure upwards of 200$ toget it pumped and the drainfield checked. Good luck, Tom
    Septic Designer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 02:43 PM
    The water level in your tank is an indicator of the health of your absorption field, NOT a sign that that your tank needs to be pumped. Your tank needs to be pumped once the sludge layer is about 12" thick on the outlet side of the tank (or when it takes up about 25% of your tank capacity). So, the only way to know if your tank needs pumping is to use a sludge judge to meansure the amount of sludge in your tank. I hope that helps.
    Stuart - Meade Septic Design, Inc.
    mstona Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Will a full septic tank cause back-flow in a toilet?

I really need some help! I'm in the fayetteville, nc area. Any suggestions on who I can call for help with finding the tank?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2010, 06:22 AM

Yes! If the septic tank can no longer disperse what you send into it will back up 9into your home through the lowest fixture.
    If you don't want to use a probe rod yourself then any septic tank company in the Yellow Pages can do the job. Good luck, Tom

Oct 25, 2010, 06:51 AM
    A high water level in your tank will slow water from entering your tank and will back up your plumbing (flushing) especially on lower levels of the house.

I have a "how to find your septic tank" page on my website. Just search for Meade Septic Design. You might find it useful.

Stuart

Again, your tank needs to be pumped to remove the sludge buildup in the bottom of the tank. It has nothing to do with the actual water level. A high water level in your tank is a sign that your absorption field is not taking water as quickly as you are putting it into the system. This might mean that your system is failing, starting to fail or that you just used a huge amount of water (a surge flow).

Have your tank pumped every 3 years and have your pumper report how deep the sludge layer is. Once the sludge makes up 25-33% of the depth of the tank, it is time to get it cleaned (pumped out).
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2010, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Septic Designer View Post

I have a "how to find your septic tank" page on my website. Just search for Meade Septic Design. You might find it useful.
    Please see item #10 here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq

Thank you.

Oct 25, 2010, 07:36 AM

My post didn't go against rule #10. I did not list a link or refer to my services or products, just information..

"Do not advertise or spam. You are welcome to include information and links in your signature to a reasonable extent, but do not refer or link to your products or services in the body of posts. "
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Septic Designer View Post
    My post didn't go against rule #10. I did not list a link or refer to my services or products, just information..

"Do not advertise or spam. You are welcome to include information and links in your signature to a reasonable extent, but do not refer or link to your products or services in the body of posts. "
    I just wanted to be sure you saw it since someone else brought it up.

Thank you for giving helpful answers here. Helping others is what we're all about.
    jameosmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
    I have a pipe with a mushroom cap thingee on it. I too bought a foreclosure. Is this just a vent or is this were the septic people would pump out the sludge?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nobody can find the septic tank [ 8 Answers ]

We want to pump out the septic tank, but no one can find it. Previous owner doesn't know where it is, and the health department has no record because the house is so old. We've had various plumbers and septic people out to the house, most of which probed the ground with a stick. One guy snaked...

Where is my septic tank? [ 12 Answers ]

Closing on my 1st house soon and I want to find out the condition of the tank.. unfortunately the seller is just flipping the house so he doesn't know.. generally how far and how deep are septic tanks.. I see a very big cast iron pipe in the basement leading out.are the tanks always in a straight...

Septic tank worries? [ 1 Answers ]

Here lately, whenever our washing machine drains, both our toilets start bubbling, and the toilet off our Master Bedroom, closest to the washer, reeks of raw sewage. We do have a septic tank which was cleaned back in 2001. Do you think it needs to be cleaned again? We originally thought we had a...

Shallow Septic Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, Because of the height of the water table, my new septic tank will be very shallow. The top will be at about ground level, and the entry to the tank will be 7 inches below grade. I'm worried about running a drain to it at the right pitch. The house is on a slab, with the existing...

New Septic Tank design [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, One of my last posts was asking for help looking for the septic tank in a 30 year old house we just bought. They used an electronic egg to find the tank. Well, we found it. The tank is under the concrete slab of the house. An addition was added to the house, right over the tank. ...

View more questions Search