Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpyluv214 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 02:11 AM
    My boyfriend wants space, how do I give it to him?
    Hello, My boyfriend(22) and I(21) have been together for 1 yr and 6 months. He recently told me that he wants space. He told me that he loves and doesn't want to break up with me, but he wants his space. I truly in love with my boyfriend. We have tried the whole space thing before twice, and we always end up spending time together.because we both want it. Now this past Monday when he told me that he wanted his space, he also told me that he has mixed feeling (that scared me) I asked him. "mixed feelings, as in just friends or more than friends" he said more than friends, pretty clear. But he also told me that whenever I text him and call him, that recently he started feeling like he didn't want to talk to me. (that just hurt me and I started crying) He told me that he want time for himself, he wants to go out with his friends at times. He tell me to go out with my friends as well but the truth is, since High school I lost touch with them. ( I have no friends) and well he is the only one that I hang out with. And it hurt me to know that he wants less of me, because that is what space is.

I guess the reason why he wants space too is because is has been stressed out with bills and work, and well there are times when we don't have sex for weeks. (2 or 3 tops) but he says that the less he has sex, the better he is at concentrating on his job and doing other things like playing sports. I get mad because I want it more than he does, but I can learn to live with it. Bottom line, he is stressed about paying his bills and not having enough money. I try to be understanding about it. And I try to help him. But he doesn't want my help. I tell him that ill lend him money and he won't take it. At times it looks like he doesn't even see how hard I try.

Now the space thing is something hard for me, because we or at least I am so used to texting him and calling him multiple times during the day and then out of the nowhere just stopping, and waiting for his call its hard for me. He calls me once a day and texts a bit. I want to be an understanding girlfriend and I want to be there for him. And I don't want to be selfish, but I do not know why it is that I need crave his attention so much. I mean even when we speak on the phone for a couple of minutes its not enough, I still feel lonely. I don't want to tell him because I want him to really get his space. Like I do so much for him as well, I cook for him at times and I even take care of him when he is sick, I don't know what I would do with out him, I just love him so much. He does as well. But at the end of a long hard day I just want to feel assurance that he always going to be there, I want him to see that I'm trying, I want him to tell me that he loves me,and actually meaning it with out me saying it first. I want him to hug me and hold me tight so we can feel eachothers love. I want to kiss him passionatly.. He stopped kissing me a lot, about a year ago. Like last September. But its OK I see past it. Maybe if he gave me all that, maybe just maybe I won't crave his attention so much. He is always on my mind. I know that at the end of the day he probably just wants to sleep, but I just want to control myself from focusing so much on him. I try doing other things like running at the park but he lives near the park, and I end up calling him telling him I'm near by. ( but I don't stop by)

I want to give him his space without me sufficating him, I don't want to call him so much or text him or see him a lot. For this past week I think I have done all right because I have only texted him when he texts me or calls me first, until today. I blew up his phone. :(

We came to an agreement that I will only see hiim 1 or 2 times a week, and that I will wait for his call or text. But since he plays softball with my cousin she wants me to be at all the games and practices, and that means that I will be seeing him about 3 times a week. But not alone, and when I see him I mean I want to have alone time with him. If were going to only see each other 2 times a week it should be worth it right! So in other words I have not had any alone time with him for about 3 weeknds. And this up coming weekend I told him that I wanted to see him and just spend quality time together, I told him that I could cook him something and we can spend time at his house and it just seemed like he didn't want that. And it got me sad.

Please help me, ill take all the advice I can get because I want to make this work, I want to be there for his time of need. Because he is stressed out,
    Thank you :)
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Hi- I think you should try leaving him on his own for a couple of weeks-give him a chance to miss you.If he truly loves you he'll get in touch-if he doesnt-I think you should try to move on.

Aug 5, 2009, 02:47 AM

But he calls me everyday, we are still together.
    Should I leave him alone for a couple of days? I should break up with him then?

Aug 5, 2009, 02:49 AM
    I think I would break his heart if I were to do that to him, I just want advice on what to do, for the mean while that he has his space, I want to be a supportive girlfriend, not get leave in his time of need. (breaking up not an option)
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 03:04 AM
    Honey in a relationship its about both people-this seems to be a lot about him and not enough about you.Threee weeks ago I left my partner of two years because he could not meet what I feel are equal needs in a relationship.Do I hurt?Very much. But Im doing the NC thing-see stickies_and in my case I know its over.I just think you need some space.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 03:38 AM

You can't allow your world to revolve around him.You have to get out and make new friends.You have to have a life and create your own sense of happiness and assurance by yourself.Alone need not equal lonely.

Take an adult class,something you have always wanted to learn but never had the time ,now you do.Go to the gym.

Volunteer your time at a shelter or nursing home,do something that is going to enhance your life by yourself.

Being needy and clingy is not an attractive trait.

I don't don't know one man and I have two adult grown sons and three brothers and 11 nephews that likes a clingy woman.

It is right up there on the top of mens what I hate most about women list.

Being independent and sure of yourself is a very attractive trait.

I think he could compromise on the not talking everyday.There is no reason why he can't text you ,say at 11 every night to spend 2 minutes giving you the reassurance you need.

What it is that you are afraid of? That he will just gradually slip away?

The bottom line is you can't make him a priority in your life.You must think of you and how you can have a fulfilling life without him by your side.

You need to ask yourself if he is able to give you the emotional reinforcement you need.You need to ask yourself if your expectations for the relationship are realistic and finally how can you learn to enjoy a life independent of his.

I am sure there were times he wanted to shout at you *Get a life* but he was too kind so he is just asking for space.

I think he cares for you but if you continue to smother him,you will push him away.

Get out and get busy and have some fun,you are too young to be sitting home waiting for your only release from boredom. :)

Aug 5, 2009, 07:25 AM

I actually am a full time student in Calstate LA. But I do not work. I don't just stay at home not doing anything. Im taking a break from school.
    Nevertheless, I do appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:03 AM

Good luck take care.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Sometimes you have to back up, and have your own life, to keep you from going overboard with waiting for someone to call, or text.

But its about you BOTH making adjustments, and as a guy calling and texting is just too much, but once a day would work for me. As you said, he has other things on his plate to deal with.

Just a question, do you think your insecure, or needy? Just asking to gauge where your head is at, and if you can make adjustments that's needed. You may have just gotten to used to being in constant contact, and while your on your break, maybe need other things to do, to balance out your life.

Aug 5, 2009, 09:22 PM

I do feel insecure about myself at times.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:36 PM

I think this statement is a good one.From a fellow expert Tal and I think you should ponder on this a bit.
    Never make a person a priority in your life, while allowing them to make you an option in theirs.
    It may not apply to you in all aspects but I think it is something to consider.

Aug 7, 2009, 01:21 AM

Thank you all
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 01:31 AM
    Hugs
    Starry nights Posts: 213, Reputation: 104

Aug 7, 2009, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bpyluv214 View Post
    I actually am a full time student in Calstate LA. But i do not work. I dont just stay at home not doing anything. Im taking a break from school.
    Nevertheless, I do appreciate everyones feedback.
    Giving space always equals to taking it too,for your ownself.

Create a space of your own,which is only yours,where you don't allow anybody to trespass.Make it your secret place where you just do things for yourself.Am sure there must be things you love doing.If you don't yet,set out on an adventure within yourself and find all those things you want to do.

One fine day,you'll wake up and see a new person looking at you in the mirror--a happy-by-herself,contented,emotionally secure,fun-loving,lively young woman who's just too busy enjoying life to feel dejected or ignored by someone else.

:)Keep smiling.

Aug 8, 2009, 09:43 PM

Awww thank u starry nights. I will take that in consideration, that means a lot.
    charli237 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 12:26 PM
    My relationship with my boyfriend is very similar to yours, we've been together 11 months and he's always wanted his own space.. but never had it. We used to spend every night and most weekends together.. I basically lived at his house. It caused a lot of arguments. But 2 weeks ago he told me I was getting too clingy and I was starting to be a chore to him, which really upset me. We've seen each other a lot less since he's told me that, and now the time we do spend together is so much more fun and he acts like he wants to see me, he never used to do that. At times I feel like I'm under the thumb.. and shouldn't be doing what he wants.. but when I think about it, its making us so much better even though it is hard because when I'm not with him I don't have anything to do, most of my friends have boyfriends as well and are always with them.

I think you should be supportive and give him what he wants because you'll be so much better off in the long run.. He'l soon come round and miss you loads then want to see you more!
    charli237 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
    My relationship with my boyfriend is very similar to yours, we've been together 11 months and he's always wanted his own space.. but never had it. We used to spend every night and most weekends together.. I basically lived at his house. It caused a lot of arguments. But 2 weeks ago he told me I was getting too clingy and I was starting to be a chore to him, which really upset me. We've seen each other a lot less since he's told me that, and now the time we do spend together is so much more fun and he acts like he wants to see me, he never used to do that. At times I feel like I'm under the thumb.. and shouldn't be doing what he wants.. but when I think about it, its making us so much better even though it is hard because when I'm not with him I don't have anything to do, most of my friends have boyfriends as well and are always with them.

I think you should be supportive and give him what he wants because you'll be so much better off in the long run.. He'l soon come round and miss you loads then want to see you more :)

Aug 26, 2009, 03:07 PM

I knew I wasn't the only one going threw this.. thank you that makes me feel a lot better. :)
    loloww Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2010, 06:10 PM
    I can totally relate! I'm actually going through the same issues as you! EXACTLY the same I would say.
    And I'm trying so hard!
    I know we can do it! We don't need a guy to make us feel complete! :)
    So put your head up... and find something to do! I know its hurtss.. and you are dying to contact him every three seconds.
    But if he loves you.. In the end everything will be for the better :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do you give boyfriend space he wants [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend has asked me for space. I don't know how to give it to him feely and without being scared he won't come back. He wants the space to re-evaluate him as my boyfriend and see if he can truly swallow some of his pride or beliefs to move in a direction we both want. He loves me so much...

How to give my boyfriend space? [ 29 Answers ]

Ok so we have been dating a month and half and Im in love with him.. He needs space because he is under a lot of stress and he doesn't know how to handle it so HOW DO I GIVE HIM HIS SPACE?? Help me... tell me how I give him his space?

I don't want to give my boyfriend an std but he wants me to give him oral [ 8 Answers ]

I think I might have caught something from another guy that I had sex with even though we used protection and he said that he had been tested negative and my question is that is I do have something can I give it to my boyfriend from giving him head. I don't have soars in my mouth or anything but I...

Ex won't give me space [ 1 Answers ]

So my ex girlfriend and I have been broken up for about 3 months, although we never gave each other space. First I need to tell you we've known each other almost two years and were always flirting with each other, and then dated for about 4 months long distance. I'm 29 and she's 23, I went to...

How do I tell him to give me space ? [ 17 Answers ]

My partner and I had unprotected sex and now I'm pregnant. After discussing what to do he made it very clear that keeping the baby is not what he wants and it would wreck his life, he isn't ready emotionally physically or mentally.. Although I do want the baby because the thought of an abortion...

View more questions Search