Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonpocillovist Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Garbage disposal reset but Won't Grind
    Hi,

My garbage disposl (Emerson Badger 5, Model 5-38) stopped working. I pressed the reset button, and now it makes a humming noise when I turn it on (no noise at all before reset), but no grinding occurs. There is nothing jammed in it (both the grindy mechanisms move freely).

I tried finding a troubleshooting guide on the Emerson/In-sink-erator website, but this is an older model so no luck. (The guides for the newer ones are pretty useless anyway).

Also, in case it is pertinent, my model requires that you run the faucet; that is not automatic when you turn it on (as seems to be with the newer ones).

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
    Julie
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Doesn't sound good. The hum says you have power to motor, and it spins free(no binding), some have a stopper that must be used for motor to operate, doesn't sound like you have that type.
    Not only do the grindy things need to move freely, it has to rotate as well, If an allen key doesn't help in the bottom, sometimes the end of a pole. Stick or broom handle can sometimes free up. Good Luck
    nonpocillovist Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
    I used an allen wrench and got it to move. But it did not seem to give immediately, so I think it was bound, or tight, anyway. It still does not move easily, but I think that is because it is so heavy?

I plugged it back in and now the grindy wheels spin, but only momentarily and then it overloads again and needs to be reset. This is with nothing in it - dry. (I have not hooked it back up to the sink again yet.) Tired now. I'll play around with it again tomorrow.

I also think there was a smell of burning motor, but I may have imagined that. Maybe it is time to get a new one -- this one at least 16 years old, since it came with the house in '92.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Can you get it to spin from above?(with switch off)
    If so, and it won't spin, sounds like replacement may solve.
    mstone42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 07:01 PM
    I realize this post is 2.5 years old but it was the first link that came up on Google when I had the same problem with the same model. I found a manual here:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/9725184/Badger-5-garbage-disposal-user-manual
    Page 7 outlines "User Maintenance" steps: there's a hex socket on the very bottom of the unit next to the reset button. Insert the 'self-service wrench' (a 1/4" hex wrench), and work it back and forth until it'll turn all the way around (i.e. use brute force - but be careful! Mine didn't budge at first, then suddenly gave way, and I came away with a nasty scrape). Once it's moving freely, check inside the disposal and remove anything that might have been jamming the blades. Let the unit cool (you've no doubt been turning it off and on trying to get it to work, right?), then hit the reset button.

Hope this helps someone. --Mitch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water won't drain beyond garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I put some freshly cooked chicken strips(that didn't smell right) down the disposal and it clogged up. Thinking it was just a mass glob of bad chicken blocking the drainage, I unscrewed the hole under the pipes to snake the pipes, and of course got a big blob of ground chicken. Now I can't get...

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

The disposal won't was hall the crud down the drain

Garbage disposal won't drain all the scraps [ 1 Answers ]

After using my disposal I seem to have a problem with the "crud " being trapped in the trap is it my dispoal ?

Garbage Disposal [ 1 Answers ]

Disposal is working but water is backed up and won't go down.

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I have never had a problem running my garbage disposal before until I replaced it with a bigger and better one. Now my disposal backs up, and when I run the disposal, it backs up into the adjoining sink! Please help! Hi Mom, Sounds like you have a clog in the lateral, (horizontal ) pipe in...

View more questions Search