Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownsugar2755 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Adult son,evict from my home
    How can I evict my 29 year old son out of my house
    MISSIBAYBE Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Jan 12, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Maybe you should sit down and have a talk with him first before you do that. Are you having problems with him or is he not keeping up with payments?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Does he have any formal rental agreement verbal or written, was he paying rent and stopped.

If he was actually renting, you may have to give notice and if he does not move out, go to court and evict him.

But honestly most people tell them to get out, if they don't they change the locks when they are gone.

Jan 12, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSIBAYBE
    Maybe you should sit down and have a talk with him first before you do that. Are you having problems with him or is he not keeping up with payments?
    I have tried talking and that don't work with him.And he don't pay me any rent at all,don't help with any bills.Just drink and party and then pass out every night.I believe he is on drugs.

Jan 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Does he have any formal rental agreement verbal or written, was he paying rent and stoped.

If he was actually renting, you may have to give notice and if he does not move out, go to court and evict him.

But honestly most people tell them to get out, if they don't they change the locks when they are gone.
    He is not renting,he ask me to let him stay for a couple of weeks until the place he was going to rent was available,but I found out later there were no place.He just like to free load on me.It is so unfair that I would have to put up with him in my own home.He is just tearing up everything he put his hands on.Then he lie and say he didn't do it.I am sick and tired of him.. I want him out of my house.He steals my cd's,dvd's,tore up my computer,broke my hot water faucet in the kitchen,the room he stays in stinks so bad that I keep the door closed at all time.He told me that I can't put him out.There is no one name on my deed but mine.He has made my life a living hell.I need help before someone get hurt.
    chickgirl_420 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar2755
    how can I evict my 29 year old son out of my house
    Well my mom had the same problem with my brother he is 23 now but he would never leave, but my dad threatened to kick him out if he didn't get a job and a car and then he can move out when he gets money, or have him pay 200 a month for rent if he is living there. Or the best way is to get him a girlfriend and then if he loves her in time then they'll get a place together and then he will be moved out.
    debibrock Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2007, 02:09 PM
    I'm having the same problem wth my 19 year old daughter. She's worthless... I don't want to have to get her a boyfriend. She is not paying rent. I don't want her to be homeless but that would better than my husband and I being miserable and having things we've worked for destroyed. I need to find out how to legally evict a child. Do you just change the locks?
    love24 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Go down to the courthouse and file a formal eviction notice
    love24 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 02:44 PM
    I don't know where your from but in the state of oklahma if a person stays one night with you they are considered a legal resident. So you have to do a formal eviction no matter if they are paying or not.
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 2, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Evict?? Kick him out. Your house then pack his belongings and say "So long buddy!" It worked for me when my parents did it
    wakjak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
    I am so glad to see I am NOT ALONE in similar situation. My 18 year old daughter does same thing, drinks, destroys my house and won't contribute a penny to the household. I have told her several times to leave but she won't.

I called my local police department and asked them what to do. They advised me that I cannot just throw anyone out of the house without proper notice, daughter or not. I Have to serve her with an eviction notice. (I'm contemplating that one)

I would suggest you call your local precinct, they can guide you as the laws in your area. Once you change the locks, if you do it legally, you can call the police if they enter for trespassing and they will physically remove them. This I have had done with my daughter's boyfriend when he would not leave my house.

My next problem is getting my 17 year old pregnant daughter out because I am not raising another child and she insists on having it. I already have 4. Any suggestions on the 17 year old. I have already tried to get her to marry they guy to relieve me of the responsibility of her but that's not happening. Filing for emancipation is just too costly.

Open to ideas?

Jackie
    sd1025 Posts: 98, Reputation: 11

Jan 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
    It's a oddly common problem, you can get the cops involved and have him trespassed, or you can throw all his stuff on the lawn while he's gone and change the locks you shouldn't have to pack his stuff too in some states a temp. restraining order is free have him aressted that should teach him.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 30, 2008, 11:55 AM
    I would have an intervention. Hire a counselor to come over, and other people who are not doing drugs or alcohol and set the stage. He can either go into treatment immediately (have it set up in advance) or he has to leave. Be prepared. He may leave.

Then, change the locks.

If he calls you for help, be willing to meet him for lunch but do not give him money. Make clear that when he is ready for treatment, you will help him.

You don't have to let his friends in your house. If they are doing drugs, call the cops. Tell them that's your policy - bring drugs in this house and I'm calling the police.

The police can be your ally as well. You can go to them for advice. Just go to the station and tell them that you have this problem, and ask if they can help you get your son into treatment. They might be able to give him a "treatment or jail" choice if you set it up with them in advance. They want to help but won't be so willing if they show up after neighbors call or something.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 07:34 AM
    "I am so glad to see I am NOT ALONE in similar situation. My 18 year old daughter does same thing, drinks, destroys my house and won't contribute a penny to the household. I have told her several times to leave but she won't.

"I called my local police department and asked them what to do. They advised me that I cannot just throw anyone out of the house without proper notice, daughter or not. I Have to serve her with an eviction notice. (I'm contemplating that one)"

Comment: Receiving an eviction notice from my Mom would be sobering and a matter of urgency: think about it, a court date and getting a judgement, and having the sheriff put your child on the street. In effect, making your child a homeless person. I guess that is what "tough love" means. I think I would go that extra step that lacuran8626 suggests, hiring a counselor or social service provider, or a pastor, or homeless shelter manager, to help pick up the pieces.

"My next problem is getting my 17 year old pregnant daughter out because I am not raising another child and she insists on having it. I already have 4. Any suggestions on the 17 year old."

Comment: I think you need to stand by this child. I heard about a similar situation where the parent(s) took the daughter to an adoption center, a place with baby beds, etc. and the parent and pregnant daughter attended an interview about the adoption process. It made an impression on the daughter; she kept her baby and got a job. But if she is going to flop at your home with a child, call children's services and let them do their job.
    yas2407 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 01:20 PM

I have the same problem. My son is a 22 year old drug addict, thief and a gangster wannabe. In Alabama you must get a court order to remove him if he is a family member regardless of what he has done to you. The best thing you can do in the meantime is have him arrested anytime he assults you, then he also has built up a record. I am in the process of doing this now.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Is it more that he's overstayed his welcome? You mentioned that he was only supposed to stay for two weeks. What happened that he needed to stay longer, and had no place to go.

Did he lose his job? Does he have mental health issues? Addiction issues?

Because you have allowed him in your home, and not said for how long, it seems like it was temporary, and he was just staying for a few weeks. IF that is the case, and he is not considered a tenant, then why have you not put him out already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to do to evict a person living in my home ? [ 14 Answers ]

My son lives in a rental property of mine. He allowed a young woman to move in with him. He has asked/told her to move out. She has refused. She does not pay rent and never has - her name is not on the lease. What steps can I take to evict her legally from the premises in the state of...

How does a mom cope with an adult son? [ 6 Answers ]

Thank you for listening.

How to Evict 19 Year Old Step Daughter From Home [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Georgia with my husband and his two grown children (ages 22 and 19) for the last 10 years. The 19 year old is into drugs and drinking and is constantly laying out of work (if she even has a job) and bringing her drug friends into our home when we are not there. There is evidence she...

How to evict renters after buying a home [ 4 Answers ]

I am purchasing my mother in-laws home. I am closing in three weeks. If I close on Feb 28th, is it possible for me to evict my mother in-law's current roommate? She has no lease and has been living there since Nov.-05. Can I kick her out on Feb. 28th?

My adult son [ 35 Answers ]

My son is 42. I have always had a wonderful relationship with him, About 3 years ago he moved back to my state to start a business. I helped him I even worked for him and put my house up for his business.. He got rich and now he hates me. I never saw it coming. His phone is blocked and he will not...

View more questions Search