Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MicahSikah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Bryant Furnace - IGNITOR PROBLEM! Need help!
    I have a Bryant 383KAV. When I install the bottom panel the blower runs for about 90 seconds. Once the blower runs for 90 seconds, the inducer fan will start up and then I hear the click that would typically begin the process of heating up the Ignitor. After about 7 seconds or so, I can hear/smell Gas seeping out into the chamber, but it obviously doesn't ignite because the Ignitor isn't getting red. At that point it gives me a Error code of 34. I used a long match and ignited the chamber from a distance once I heard the gas coming out and the Furnace fired right up and seemed to stay lit. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could check? I assume its something to do with the ignitor. Do I try to replace the Ignitor? Is this a difficult task? Could it be something with the computer/board? I would just hate to replace the Ignitor if it was something silly like a fuse or loose wire or something like that. Please advise. Its getting cold here in Ohio!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 09:53 AM

It is probably your Hot Surface Ignitor (HSI). This is one of the easiest repairs to make in my opinion. After killing power to your furnace, unplug the HSI wires and then remove the screw that holds it in place. Any good appliance parts store (not just appliance store!) should have it. I'm guessing $20-30 or so.

By the way, once you have it out you can inspect it before buying a new one. Note that they are quite fragile. Look for a hairline crack on the black part--it will be very tiny. Also, you could check for electrical continuity to see if it is electrically open.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 12:35 PM

Yep, most likely a bad igniter. I would test for power to the igniter when you hear the click. IF you have roughly 120 volts goint to igniter, then the igniter is definatley bad. When replacing the igniter, be very careful, as its very fragile and easy to break. Also, never touch the actuall glow element, as the oil from your hands will make it burn out prematurely. So basically handle with extreme care and you should be up and running in no time.
    MicahSikah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Awesome thanks guys. I ordered a new HS Igniter online ($30) that is coming in a couple days so I will check back once I get the new one installed. I did check the voltage this past weekend and when I hear the click I see that I'm getting 120 volts with my voltage meter... even more confirmation that the HSI imost likely the problem. Not to mention when I took out the old HSI (which was a PIECE OF CAKE), there was a big black mark and a crack going through it. Like I said, I'm pretty sure your advice will work. I will check back once I get the new one in.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 04:49 PM

Rest assured, if you are getting 12o volts to igniter, and its not glowing, and also it has the marks you described, then the new igniter will most definitely fix your problem. Please do let us know how things work out. I think you are all set.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant furnace problem [ 20 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a 5 y/o 80% eff bryant furnace. The problem I have is that my furnace Doesn't always kick on even when thew thermostat shows the temp under the Temp set. I will sometimes have to go down and turn of the blower switch on the furnace wait a couple seconds and then turn it on again....

Bryant 383KAV Furnace - Code 14 - Not getting 120 volts to ignitor [ 4 Answers ]

Still scratching my head on this one. Everything appears to be working fine on my furnace, except that the ignitor is not getting juice to glow orange/white, hence the gas is not igniting? I disconnected the ignitor harness from the control board, ran the test sequence again, and determined that I...

Bryant 383KAV Furnace Ignitor will NOT get RED? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 383KAV. When I install the bottom panel the blower runs for about 90 seconds. Once the blower runs for 90 seconds, the inducer fan will start up and then I hear the click that would typically begin the process of heating up the Ignitor. After about 7 seconds or so, I can...

383KAV Bryant Furnace - Code 14 Not getting 120 volts to ignitor [ 1 Answers ]

Still scratching my head on this one. Everything appears to be working fine on my furnace, except that the ignitor is not getting juice to glow orange/white, hence the gas is not igniting? I disconnected the ignitor harness from the control board, ran the test sequence again, and determined that I...

Bryant Gas Furnace Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Bryant 373LAV Gas furnace that has stopped working. There are a couple of issues with the furnace and I'll try to explain what is going on. For now, the heat does not turn on. The thermostat (White-Rodgers Comfort Set II) shows 60 and the heat is set at 70. So I opened up...

View more questions Search