Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smccann Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 05:09 PM
    Pump will not kick on till gauge reads 0.
    The pump will cut out at 65. I have instaled a brand new preset switch 20/40. Turn on a faucet and the pressure gauge falls to 0. wait a few minutes and the pump kicks on. The air tank is holding pressure.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 05:57 PM

Did you check the little tube leading to the switch? If it's clogged up, the switch will be VERY slow to respond.

Oct 8, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Comment on jlisenbe's post
    Yea, I changed the tub and the nipples. There was some deposits in them. I also changed the gauge. It will only pump up to 65psi and not come on till zero psi. I did take off the hose while it was draining, It came on then. Little bit of water came.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2010, 12:03 PM

Control boxes a aren't that pricy. Why not simply replace with a 30/50 control and be done with it? Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2010, 01:58 PM

A few questions:

Yea, I changed the tub and the nipples.(What nipples are you referring to???) There was some deposits in them. I also changed the gauge. It will only pump up to 65psi (You have a brand new 20/40 switch on. It should be cutting off at 40) and not come on till zero psi. I did take off the hose while it was draining (What was draining?), It came on then. Little bit of water came.

If your pump is getting up to 65#, even with the pump off you should be able to get several minutes of water at good pressure before it begins to slow to a trickle. Is that the case?

Even with the switch being new, it is possible that it is defective. It certainly sounds that way, with the pump going up to 65 and then not cutting back on until zero.

BTW, do you have a filter or softener on your system?

For some reason I can't edit my last post. On the issue of changing the tube and nipples, I'm just wanting to be sure we are talking about the same tube. This is the 1/4" tube going to the switch. I'm not aware of anything on that pipe which could be termed a "nipple". You might be referring to the "T fitting" which screws into the bottom of the pressure tank and has fittings for gauges, switches, etc.

Oct 8, 2010, 02:15 PM
    We Are talking the same thing. I changed out the tube and fitting. I plan on changing out the switch again. I bought this one from Lowe's and it has one spring. My old one had two springs. The guy said it would work on any pump. Have u heard of this

The only thing that has me confussed is my pump was acting this way before I installed a new switch. Cause nothing changed. Did not know if it was the switch or something else.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2010, 03:18 PM

Try another switch and let us know how it goes.

This is what you bought:

Shop ProPlumber 20/40 Pressure Switch at Lowes.com

This is a good brand of switch.

Shop Square D 20 to 40 PSI Water Pump Pressure Switch at Lowes.com

Still, I just don't think your problem is the switch.

Oct 9, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Comment on jlisenbe's post
    I agree. I've been talking to some guy's at work who have some experience with wells.
    They are telling me it is the foot valve. So I may need to pull the line. My well is 25' deep and I have a emerson 2 line jet pump.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2010, 10:40 AM

To test your foot valve let the pump run up to pressure and quit. Now shut 5the pump off at the breaker box and watch the gage. If it holds steady the foot valve's OK If the gage drops to zero then you have a bad foot valve. But wait! Are you quite sure you have a foot valve at the bottom of your well or do you have a check valve on the suction line near then pump? But even if you do have a foot valve that's open why not leave it alone and install a check valve on the surface? This would save you from having to pull the well point. Good luck, Tom

Oct 9, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    I know there is no check valve. I have done this test and it will no not drop quickly. I have noticed a real slow drop through out the day. I will try it again to make sure and get a new switch. Were would it be installed and will it hold water.

Oct 9, 2010, 11:06 AM
    I will do this tomorrow , I'm at work. The only leak I have is the toilet and it is not much. I will try the square D switch. I appreciate you help on this. Should it drop rapidly or can it be slow. I will turn the toilet off to do this.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2010, 11:21 AM

I will try it again to make sure and get a new switch. Were would it be installed and will it hold water.
    Are you asking where to install the switch or a surface check valve?
    I have done this test and it will no not drop quickly. I have noticed a real slow drop through out the day.
    That doesn't sound like a bad foot valve to me.
    Let me know how the new switch works. After installing the new switch, and before you pressure up, Don't forget to set the PSI in the bladder tank to 2 PSI under the cut in point on the control box.
    If you have a 30/50 box. Then set the PSI on the bladder tank at 28 PSI. Now turn on the pump and test your work. Good luck, Tom

Oct 9, 2010, 03:10 PM
    Check valve. If I need one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submersible well pump run continiously till 40 Lb. Then turn power off drops to 0 [ 8 Answers ]

80 gal epoxy tank,1 hpsta-rite control box,low water pressure, check pump.It constantly running but not going over 38 lbs.when I turn off at power pole pressure drops quickly to 0. I cleaned points, nothing differently,there is small leackage coming from pressure valve, so small could be...

Till what outside temperature trane heat pump works in winters [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,I installed a new trane air heat pump about 6 months ago.now outside temp is 6 and my pump is not working.aux heat is coming on automatically.when temp goes to 8 or 10,heat pump comes on again automatically.installer told me that heat pump will do job till -9.9,, when -10 heat pump will shut off...

98CIVIC temp gauge reads HOT! [ 1 Answers ]

98 civic recently replaced hoses + thermostat + radiator. The gauge reads hot(about 3/4) when I drive local streets(35-45mph) for about 20 min. When I drive on the free way it goes to about 3/4 very quickly Few days ago I drove on the freeway for a few miles and then when I got off and...

Pool pump gauge [ 2 Answers ]

What is a safe reading for a pool pump gauge

Oil pressure gauge reads zero. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1995 jeep wrangler that I just purchased. The oil pressure gauge reads 80 pounds all the time I opened the hood and noticed the eletrical plug was off the oil pressure sending unit. I reinstalled connector and now oil pressure reads zero at idle or 3000 rpm. Do you think sending unit...

View more questions Search