Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hillbilly Wolf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 10:05 AM
    New starter... STILL WON'T CRANK!
    OK, please help me fix my Civic before I take a sledge hammer to it. I have a 94 Honda Civic that won't start. It won't crank when you turn the key. The battery is fine. If you roll start it by putting it in gear and popping the clutch it starts right up just fine and runs like a dream. As soon as you turn it off, it won't crank. I replaced the entire starter and SAME PROBLEM! I am at my wits end. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg
    sashamarar Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Get sure the ground cable has a good contact with the starter,other wise meisure with a Voltimeter for the enery that goes to starter,put a black multimeter's stick to the ground and the red one to the other cable of starter and have someone starting the car while you test if it gets energy,post something after you done this.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
    First, take a test light or multimeter and test all underhood and underdash fuses. Then, read Section T in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

Pay particular attention to item 6:

In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead, or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.
    Hillbilly Wolf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Thanks for the posts guys. I connected a jumper from the battery to the solenoid and it cranked like a champ! I guess now I'm going to have to follow the wiring to find the problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 12:41 PM
    The problem is now with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring.
    ookinschma Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Hi
    You said popping the clutch, right?
    I bet the clutch pedal switch is bad... mine failed, too. It's up under the dash on the clutch pedal and keeps the engine from cranking unless you push the clutch in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic - Starter - Can you show me the location of the starter? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having starting problems with my 2001 Honda Civic EX 4DR. This is the first problem with the car and I can't find the starter. Can you help?

No Crank [ 2 Answers ]

'03 Honda civic hybrid--100,000 miles. Good batterey voltage--does not spin the "starter", when key is turned--checked both the in and the out clutch switches and both work properly. This is new diagnostic problem for me -- having vast experience with all other forms of vehicles. Haven't...

1990 Civic won't crank [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I got this honda civic for free. It would turn over before, but make a loud squeak and only turn over very slowly. Then I found out the alternator was totally seized up, so I took the alternator belt off to see if it would start. I turned the key and the starter cranked it over and started it...

Car does not crank [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2001 Toyota Corolla. When I turn on the ignition switch the engine does not crank but there is a rapid crik, crik, crik,. sound coming from the hood. I tried to jump start and the same rapid crik, crik, crik,. sound coming from the hood. It sounds like there is some problem with the...

'90 Civic Stops Then Doesn't Crank for 15 Minutes [ 3 Answers ]

My 1990 manual transmission Honda Civic Lx has recently developed a random problem. It starts fine (both cold and hot) but it randomly quits running while on the road i.e.. The motor just dies (not on every trip). When I go to start it the indicator lights come on but it won't crank or even...

View more questions Search