Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonymous2010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Biological father of my baby wants a Dna test done?
    I moved almost 2 months ago from one state to another state with my 3 month old baby. My boyfriend who is not the father took responsibility for the baby and signed the birth certificate when she was born. Now the biologically father went to court and wants a dna test done. He doesn't know that my boyfriend decided to take responsibility to be the father for this baby cause the biologically father did not want anything to do with her. I guess he changed his mind and now wants a dna test. Do I have to do a dna test? Also my mother received a court hearing letter for me but since she didn't know where I was staying at she sent it back and put a note that said "she doesn't live here anymore". She got a call a couple days ago saying that the biologically father is paying a lawyer and there is another court date scheduled. She told them that she didn't know where I moved to and didn't have no way to get in contact with me either. What will happen next? My boyfriend (the legal father) of my baby doesn't want to lose her. He loves the baby and is a great father all together...
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2010, 03:45 PM

He still is not the baby's biological father. Yes, your ex can compel you to have a DNA test, and regardless of who signed the birth certificate, he has rights and responsabilities. In fact, I wonder what the legal situation is with your current boyfriend signing the birth cert when he knows he is not the father.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 5, 2010, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous2010 View Post
    ... What will happen next? ...
    Your child's father will have to continue to attempt to serve you with process.

Until the court acquires jurisdiction over you by serving you with process, nothing can happen. He might conceivably get the court to authorize service by publication, but even then it's a matter of acquiring proof of paternity before an order can be issued.

Evidently you are in contact with your mother? Telephone or mail? If I were his attorney, if cost were no object, and if I knew what you have told us, I would
    • seek to take your mother's deposition; and
    • seek a subpoenas requiring your mother's cell phone provider to provide records.

He can, with enough effort, probably track down you or your boyfriend. Simply takes a resourceful P.I.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2010, 05:27 PM

So your boyfriend committed fraud and signed a legal document knowing he was not the father and you allowed and was part of it. ( does that sort of say it all)

And now the real bio father wants his legal rights to the child.

He will have to get the proper court and proper order, but yes of course he can force a DNA test, and depending on the state and location, most likely get his rights given back to him from the deception you have done.

In fact if he can also prove you knew he had to be the father and knew the other man was not the father ( somehow has evidence of this to present to court) it could seriously hurt your case in custody of the child

So If I was your attorney, I would have you go to court and get the DNA test done, and correct the legal errors you made before it gets really out of hand.
    anonymous2010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    At the time my boyfriend or I knew the situation but thought it was my boyfriends cause of the skin color of the baby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DNA, can I get my brother to do a dna test to see if we have same father? [ 13 Answers ]

:confused::confused:I need to know who is my biological father, my mum has told me but I need confirmation. Now my brother has his own father but we are doubtful if he is mines or not. If I asked my brother to do a dna test would that tell me if he is my full brother or not??

What happen if the biological father is not on the b.c and hasn't taken a dna test? [ 20 Answers ]

If the biological father didn't sign the birth of certificate but another man sign the birth certificate but he not the biological parent and he took the dna but the results was he is not the father but the mother of the child wants the biological father to sign his rights over in nyc and the guy...

How does someone go about getting a DNA test done on a baby that is with its mother [ 3 Answers ]

How would you get a DNA test done on a baby that you think is yours but the mother refuses to get the baby tested and keeps saying that the baby is not yours?

Biological Father through DNA name change [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I have an 18 month old child and I want the child's last name to be mine and the mother is OK with it. I don't want to have to pay over $300 to change it. Since the father was unknown at birth and never signed the certificate do I just go sign it at the court house or how does this...

I want to take a dna test with the father of my baby while I am pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

I want to take a dna test while pregnant

View more questions Search