Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prinses24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 08:38 AM
    Signing over parental rights in TN?
    I was divorced May 2009, in Mississippi, and now live outside of Dallas, TX. I have 2 small children, which I have primary custody of. My ex lives in Memphis, TN. He has an on going drug/alcohol problem and is currently pending a double felony case. Could I have his parental rights involuntarily taken away? He has not seen or talked to them in over a year in a half now. What state do I pursue this in? My fiancé is wanting to adopt them, once we are married.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 09:50 AM

You can't take away a parents Parental rights... you can get custody taken away, but parental rights can only be surrendered voluntarily.

If he agrees to an adoption... that would be a surrender of his rights at that point.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2010, 09:53 AM

First, if both parents have moved from the jurisdiction that issued the original custody order, then you can apply for a change of venue to where the children legally reside.

Second, getting a termination of parental rights (TPR) is very difficult. However, you have two things going for you. One is that his drug/alcohol issues can make him a danger to your children. The other is that you will have a step father ready to adopt. Both those increase your chances of getting a TPR.

The bottom line here is that you will need an attorney to prepare the adoption paperwork. So I would start shopping around now for an attorney. Once you find one, they can advise what you actually have to do to get the adoption approved.

Sep 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You can't take away a parents Parental rights....you can get custody taken away, but parental rights can only be surrendered voluntarily.

If he agrees to an adoption....that would be a surrender of his rights at that point.
    Actually its more the opposite. A parent can't give their rights away. Only a court can issue a TPR. A parent can agree to the TPR making the court action a rubber stamp. Courts will involuntarily issue a TPR but only in rare circumstances.
    prinses24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    What if only one parent has? I moved to TX, the divorce was in MS and my ex is now in TN?

Sep 15, 2010, 11:34 AM

Please don't use the Comments for follow-up. Use the Answer options at the bottom.

prinses24 : What if only one parent has? I moved to TX, the divorce was in MS and my ex is now in TN?

Ummm, then both parents have moved. If either parent still lives in the jurisdiction of the original order, that court retains jurisdiction. But you said the order was issued in MS, you live in TX and he lives in TN. Therefore you can file in TX to have the case moved to TX as part of your adoption request.

Again, get an attorney to make sure all the proper forms and motions are made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

Signing over parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know in the state of Indiana how you go about signing over all your parental rights and if you still pay child support after you do so?

Signing off parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

HELLO, My partner and I recently found out that he might be the father of a little girl. Apparently, she was conceived from a one night stand six years ago. He questioned me on whether he can sign off parental rights if he chose not to be a part of her life. He never met her so he figures it...

Signing away parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I have given this a lot of thought and I think it's the right decision for me to sign away my rights to my child yes I am behind in child support but that's not the true reason behind it. Its just that where I am at in my life I can't be a good father. So I've read some of the posts on here...

Signing over parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been paying child support for a while, however because he lost a job and was out of work the mother ( who has a dual income) reports that she has not been receiving payments. After going to the courts to petition for money, she calls and ask why she had not received payments? Of...

View more questions Search