Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drcmk96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 08:18 AM
    My poor dog keeps gagging
    My dog keeps gagging like she trying to cough something up but nothing ever does. We've rubbed her throat & even tried help her when she is gagging but to no avail. And it's not all the time. She will be fine & then she start up. There's no provoking at all. She ate & drank last night. She's 4-5 yrs old. I haven't taken her to a vet yet. Wanted to do some research first. This started 2 days ago. Can anyone help?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 18, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Some times worms like a tapeworm can cause this or she might have something wedged in her back teeth that she is trying to get rid of. Could she have eaten grass some kinds of grass leaves or seed heads can stick in the throat or a foreign object in the petfood
    drcmk96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
    We do have her out on a chain during the day & then bring her in at night. There is grass & brush on the backside of her dog house.

Jun 18, 2008, 08:36 AM
    A vet may need to pull something out of her throat, let him handle it, he'll need a tongue depressor, forceps, that light he sticks on his head, possibly something to hold the jaws open, even anesthesia, etc you don't want to get involved in that yourself. Try giving her a raw egg or egg white or a soft piece of bread to carry the object down. Ky31 tall fescue grass in the lawn could cause this or maybe some passerby gave her something you didn't know about
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Kennel cough can cause symptoms like this.

Jun 18, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Well you mentioned you tie her out, some dogs get kind of gung-ho about barking and chasing things when they are tied. They can actually pull so hard on their collar that they collapse their windpipes or cause damage there that will bother them. Maybe a body harness instead of a collar or put a nice little chain link area around her doghouse?
    Byrd Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
    My Chihuahua has been having the same problems lately and the Vet told me it was a problem with a collasped windpipe and also a problem with allergies. If you hear any congestion in the gagging as if she is having mucous problems, this might indicate allergies as my dog does. When I give her an antihistamine that the doctor prescribed it calms a lot of it down, but when she just has the gagging without the congestion, the antihistamine doesn't seem to help. Good Luck!
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Dogs sometimes eat grass when they are lacking certain nutrients in their diets or when they feel the need to throw up. Thus causing the dog to gag. Worms is also a possibility.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 9, 2008, 05:39 PM
    My dog does that a few times every few months.She will cough and cough and then throw up.It doesn't seem to bother her that much and it could be allergies.
    sallydog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 11:14 AM
    My dog does this too. She doesn't cough or vomit but she does gag quite often. She's not eating grass right now (there is snow on the ground) and she's not out alone. She also doesn't eat non food items, like sticks. I'm wondering if it's hair in her throat from her scratching herself with her teeth. She doesn't do this much though, as we have her flea treatments up to date. She's half chow and half lab. I read somewhere that chows have an extra fold in their throat that can sometimes cause problems. Does anyone know anything about this feature of chows?
    MsBootyshaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
    I think in my case of my gagging dog, it is due to damage to his trachea or throat area, it seems when his collar is grabbed he begins to gag. He also seems to gag when he reaches towards his rear end that he gags, does this happen with your dog?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 08:52 AM

This thread is two years old, and it doesn't look like the OP has been back.
    masterofsix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
    Comment on drcmk96's post
    Please never leave a dog out all day. They can be subjected to many dangers not even considering the heat, cold and severe storms. Please go to DDB.com (dogsdeservebetter.com) for more information on why you should NEVER leave a dog alone outside and

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog gagging/renching [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. And the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the...

False teeth GAGGING too much to wear them [ 4 Answers ]

I got my dentures a month or so ago, they look and fit great the problem is that I gag SOOO bad when I try to put them I only last 15 - 20 min. Could someone PLEASE help me to be able to wear my teeth all day.

My lab is gagging/renching recently. [ 7 Answers ]

Hope someone can answer this. I have a 10 month old Lab who is active & a okay eater. The last 2 days, he has been gagging/renching like something's caught in his throat. It sounds like he is going to throw up but nothing is coming out. Once, he gagged so much that a clear liquid came up but...

Pomeranian gagging [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a female pomeranian that has been gagging very hard all day long and I was just wondering What could cause this and what I can do about it... Thanks, :) :)

Gagging/phlegm [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 month old NSDT Retriever was gagging up phlegm (not his food) throughout the night (Saturday). We are at the lake and do not have close access to a vet. I carefully felt down his throat to see if anything was/is stuck and could not feel anything but he did have a lot more plegm in his...

View more questions Search