Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    07katie07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Dying hair from black to blonde
    Wel.. I dyed my hair last week a natural black colour and I am putting a natural blonde hair dye on it. I just wondered will it work? And what colour will it go? :confused:
    Charrrr Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jun 24, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Don't do that, You will totally ruin your hair!
    Hair colour is like... a paint palette.
    Imagine you've got black and you put yellow(blonde) on it.
    It's not going to stay yellow is it?

What you need to do if you want to take your hair to a lighter colour is buy some hair stripper or get stripping done at the hairdressers - this will take most of the black dye out but will leave you with a ginger colour from the bleach in the black hair dye you've used. Then you gradually have to bleach over the ginger/red bits left in your hair.

Going to a light colour from a dark colour is expensive, takes a lot of time and damages your hair a lot.

Recently I stripped purple dye out of my hair and attempted to go blonde but there was too much red and orange dye left in my hair and after stripping and bleaching it, my hair was brittle and falling out! :(
    So I just put on a brown dye on top of the light gingery and blonde as I felt it wasn't worth trying to go blonde.

If you are really serious about going blonde please consult a hairdresser or anyone with experience with this!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 24, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Taking your hair from black to blonde with a single process permanent hair color is going to result in an unpleasant red/orange shade. If you want a decent blonde shade, you will need to lighten your with bleach and then apply a toner. You should consider getting your hair professionally done at the salon.
    BigCityDreams007 Posts: 80, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Don't Do it yourself, Its easyer to go darker by yourself but you should really go to a salon if you want to go lighter!
    cherylturrell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Hi, I have long brown hair and when I wanted to dye it light blonde I did it myself, not aproved but £60 less. I used LIVE hair colours, the platinum one by schwarztkopft.because my hair was below shoulder length I used two bottles and it actually went blonde after leaving it for 1 hour.
    Lesleyannepurse Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Hi,

I have just bleached my hair because I wanted to dye it red (I have naturally dark hair) Unfortunately I had to bleach it 4 times in order to get it light enough for me to dye it. My first attempt of dying it red turned out a complete disaster - my hair went pink!

I have finally managed to get my desired hair colour - but completely ruined it by bleaching it myself. It's SO brittle and there is loads of hair falling out. PLEASE go to a salon and have it done professionally!

I never listened to everyone who told me bleach would completely ruin my hair, and now I regret it.

Hope this helps.

Lesley
    jacquiy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
    I have dyed black hair and I have been colouring my hair myself for about 10 years, going from black to blonde is easy for me, my hair takes really well to anything I do to it but not all people's hair is the same, what I do is buy the peroxide @ vol 30 and the powder bleach, mix it as directed or until it's the consistancy of gravy pretty much. I would sujest doing a strand test first and most likely you will loose 2-4 inches off the ends of your hair, put it on for about 30 min checking it every 10 min then rinse and if your hair is not to brittle already do it again for the same amount of time. When done make sure to condition it WELL using a good conditioner.
    Good luck!
    rangitamoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Comment on PrettyLady's post
    Very good answer!!
    rangitamoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Comment on jacquiy's post
    Very good answer thanks
    Mia_x Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 03:59 AM

I really really need some help as I'm so confused with all the replys I've been reading on different websites lol!

I have been dying my hair for a couple of years now and I'm now a dark brown, few months ago I put a reddish brown on my hair and decided to put some blonde chunks through as well. Where I bleached it so much it did eventually start to break off so I dyed my hair dark brown all over again.
    Ive now got to the point where I want to gradually get my hair to a dirty ash blonde as I had this colour few years ago and recently saw photos of me when it was this colour and loved it.
    How do I go about starting this process? What will mixing peroxide with shampoo do?
    I live in the UK and I'm a student so I don't have enough money to go to a salon

Please help
    :)
    Dayle_Lynette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2010, 12:35 AM
    I'm going to colour my hair from black to blonde but its going to take a while. First I started with streaks to lighten it up a lot then the next step will be sectioning off the part I want to have the lightest (the top as I'm keeping the black underneath) and I'm going to use bleach powder and 3VOL... I know it seems like a very weak option but trust me this is the BEST developer strength to use. When you bleach your hair the developer opens the cuticle so the bleach can get in and do its job so most people think a higher VOL developer works best... in most cases it will get the job done quick and rough leaving your hair brittle and weak. If you ware wanting to remove dark colour you should use 3VOL and leave it in a full hour. You'd be surprised how light it will make it just in 1 go. Then give it a day or 2 and go again. 3VOL and bleach powder, of course deep conditioning and Protein treatments in between. If you have any bits that really won't budge then use the 20 or 30 vol. once you get to the level you like then use a toner the same level or a level lighter with a lot of ash, blue or purple depending on how much yellow/ orange/ red is left in your hair just thought id add my 2cents :) goodluck xo
    Dayle_Lynette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2010, 12:35 AM
    I'm going to colour my hair from black to blonde but its going to take a while. First I started with streaks to lighten it up a lot then the next step will be sectioning off the part I want to have the lightest (the top as I'm keeping the black underneath) and I'm going to use bleach powder and 3VOL... I know it seems like a very weak option but trust me this is the BEST developer strength to use. When you bleach your hair the developer opens the cuticle so the bleach can get in and do its job so most people think a higher VOL developer works best... in most cases it will get the job done quick and rough leaving your hair brittle and weak. If you ware wanting to remove dark colour you should use 3VOL and leave it in a full hour. You'd be surprised how light it will make it just in 1 go. Then give it a day or 2 and go again. 3VOL and bleach powder, of course deep conditioning and Protein treatments in between. If you have any bits that really won't budge then use the 20 or 30 vol. once you get to the level you like then use a toner the same level or a level lighter with a lot of ash, blue or purple depending on how much yellow/ orange/ red is left in your hair just thought id add my 2cents :) goodluck xo
    Jinglepants Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2010, 12:48 AM
    Im A Natural Blonde And I Dyed Mine A Very Dark Browny Red And I've Been Trying To Go Back Blonde Since. I've Been Using A Belle Blonde Hair Lightener By Garnier Every Other Week Im A Reall Blondy Ginger At The Moment But It Works Wonders. My Best Friend Had Black Hair And Used The Same Lightener And Went Ginger Too But After A lot Of Waiting You Sure Enough Will Be Able To Go Back Blonde.
    ZombieBite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 02:42 PM
    I think the moral of the story is going from black to blonde can happen but not overnight or you need to say goodbye to your hair and think how long that took to grow before you want the quick fix of black to blonde! First leave your hair for about 2 months to let any dye you have in your hair fade/wash out and for your roots to grow through so that they don't need too much bleach thus your hair at least won't fall out form the root! Use a conditioning mask first then starting from the bottom (where there will be the heaviest dye build up) put the bleach in, streaking it as you move up with a comb so it's not harsh lines as you work through the hair. Move up through the hair streaking as you go until you hit the root and then leave on for approx 10-15 minutes. You don't want to burn your roots and check the what it says on the package of the bleach you may need to leave it on less/more but you don't want to leave it on too long as remember the bleach has been on your ends for a lot longer! Wash it out and re-condition. Then you can see what colour your hair is at this point find the lightest semi-permenant paste type dye which matches the colour your hair is now and put that on. http://www.lariche.co.uk/directions-hair-colour/ is great, I put on purple as I go lighter. This semi dye seems to work really well for my hair and really conditions is too as it's putting colour ontop of the hair rather than using too many chemicals to make it stick - of course when you shower it comes out a lot and don't go swimming or you'll dye the pool water around you! Ok so conditioner is everything now for about 2 weeks (the time it takes for the semi dye to wash out). You can then follow the steps above again and go through the lightening phase again. Depending on how your hair reacts to all of this will determin how long it takes to get to the full blonde. Usually it's black/natural colour after growing out > medium orangy brown > light brown/ dark orangy blonde > usually an orange blonde or an really light blonde. Once it reaches the light brown/ dark orangy blonde you can now pick your blonde for the next treatment so that instead of the bleach and the semi dye you can pick the off the shelf blonde dye of your choice and follow the instructions on the packet. Overall you need the time to let the dark colour grow/wash out, and a month to go from the dark colour to the blonde. The longer you leave between lightening sessions the better your hair will end up and the drastic changes every few weeks should be enough of a change to keep you going until you get the colour you want. Also this process works the other way going from blonde to black: blonde > permentant dark blonde > permanent brown > permanent dark brown> black. This will stop you getting too much green coming through!

Hope this has helped and if you can these sessions done by a professional then all the better they will be able to put the bleach on faster and shouldn't leave it patchy (which is another risk in the process) but hey DIY is part of the fun!

I'm going from black to blonde all over in about 2 weeks :) Well over the next 2 months ha!
    ZombieBite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 02:42 PM
    I think the moral of the story is going from black to blonde can happen but not overnight or you need to say goodbye to your hair and think how long that took to grow before you want the quick fix of black to blonde! First leave your hair for about 2 months to let any dye you have in your hair fade/wash out and for your roots to grow through so that they don't need too much bleach thus your hair at least won't fall out form the root! Use a conditioning mask first then starting from the bottom (where there will be the heaviest dye build up) put the bleach in, streaking it as you move up with a comb so it's not harsh lines as you work through the hair. Move up through the hair streaking as you go until you hit the root and then leave on for approx 10-15 minutes. You don't want to burn your roots and check the what it says on the package of the bleach you may need to leave it on less/more but you don't want to leave it on too long as remember the bleach has been on your ends for a lot longer! Wash it out and re-condition. Then you can see what colour your hair is at this point find the lightest semi-permenant paste type dye which matches the colour your hair is now and put that on. http://www.lariche.co.uk/directions-hair-colour/ is great, I put on purple as I go lighter. This semi dye seems to work really well for my hair and really conditions is too as it's putting colour ontop of the hair rather than using too many chemicals to make it stick - of course when you shower it comes out a lot and don't go swimming or you'll dye the pool water around you! Ok so conditioner is everything now for about 2 weeks (the time it takes for the semi dye to wash out). You can then follow the steps above again and go through the lightening phase again. Depending on how your hair reacts to all of this will determin how long it takes to get to the full blonde. Usually it's black/natural colour after growing out > medium orangy brown > light brown/ dark orangy blonde > usually an orange blonde or an really light blonde. Once it reaches the light brown/ dark orangy blonde you can now pick your blonde for the next treatment so that instead of the bleach and the semi dye you can pick the off the shelf blonde dye of your choice and follow the instructions on the packet. Overall you need the time to let the dark colour grow/wash out, and a month to go from the dark colour to the blonde. The longer you leave between lightening sessions the better your hair will end up and the drastic changes every few weeks should be enough of a change to keep you going until you get the colour you want. Also this process works the other way going from blonde to black: blonde > permentant dark blonde > permanent brown > permanent dark brown> black. This will stop you getting too much green coming through!

Hope this has helped and if you can these sessions done by a professional then all the better they will be able to put the bleach on faster and shouldn't leave it patchy (which is another risk in the process) but hey DIY is part of the fun!

I'm going from black to blonde all over in about 2 weeks :) Well over the next 2 months ha!
    hairtips101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 10:53 AM
    I am going to let the dark brown fade out of my hair for a month or so, until I start to see a lighter brown (my natural haircolor), which I am starting to see abit of at the roots... then I'm going to go get my hair professionally bleached, with brown underneath! :) can't wait! My hair works well with any colors, so it shouldn't be bad, especially getting it proffesionally, they know what they are doing! :)

May 6, 2010, 10:54 AM

Frigg sakes, I put a long answer and it got deleted! UUUGGHH!! >:O

May 6, 2010, 10:55 AM

Oh, never mind, there it is lmao! :D
    moxie120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 07:39 PM
    So, I like dyed my hair black a couple days ago. My hair is normally a ginger color and I hate it! But then I realized that my hair looks horrendous black and think I should go blonde. Will a salon be able to do it right away or should I suck it up and deal for a couple of months then go to the salon?
    _1245 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 10:36 AM
    Its not hard to dye your hair get the bleach powder in a 40 volume mix it together an you will be fine you may have to do it twice but you will love it I went from black to blonde I love it everyone does do not I repeat don't perm your hair for two weeks after if you perm your hair be for two weeks it will com out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying your hair black [ 17 Answers ]

I'm considering dying my hair black but I've heard that it's unhealthy in some ways. I was wonderinf if any of you know if it's harmful?

Hair dying nightmare(black to blonde) x( [ 4 Answers ]

I had been wanting blonde hair for quite sometime and my friend convinced me to dye it. I have natural black hair. So I bought the blonde dye and my friend helped my dye my hair. My hair turned out HORRIBLE! :eek: It's bright yellow on the top and the bottom half is a yellow-orangish color! Yeah....

Black hair to blonde/light brown [ 1 Answers ]

I dyed my hair black a month ago and then I dyed it red but it didn't work, maybe red was to dark?? I don't know but I was going to get the black chemically removed but a friend told me to dye my hair blonde and then dye it red Will it work?

Dying my black hair red [ 2 Answers ]

OK my hair was naturally red,like a long time ago,this school year when I came I dyed it black, after a while I have been wanting my red back, well me and a friend bought the light arburn red lazt night and did my hair,it died my roots really pretty but the rest didn't work,llike you can barley...

Dying dyed hair to blonde [ 3 Answers ]

My hair colour is a naturally a very light blonde anyway but like a fool I chopped it all of and dyed it dark brown! Its been a about 4 months and the colour has faded out quite allot and I have had a few highlights but I am still not happy with the colour. I am determined to have my hair blonde...

View more questions Search