Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emk8t Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Dell notebook Fn key stuck on.
    :mad: I have a new Dell notebook with Windows Vista. I somehow managed to turn on the "Fn" key, and I can't turn it off. (Fn is the key that lets you re-purpose some of the other keys). There's no Fn-lock key to turn it off/on, I have no idea how I did it.

It makes numbers when I type letters, dashes when I type zeros, and so on. Very frustrating! I can't type crap on my computer now. (I mean that literally too, when I type "crap", it comes out as cra*.)

I tried restarting, when that didn't work, I shut it down and let it sit for awhile, but when I turned it back on... same problem.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 10, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Try pressing shift + numlock, to toggle the Fn feature.
    usmctankerwife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Comment on HVAC888's post
    I looked at so many help sites, and spent over 3 hours trying to figure out how to fix that dumb problem, and here it was! It did the trick! Thanks!
    PeaceTrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Oh Thank you so much, I did the same thing. I've looked everywhere, everyone had a different command and none of them worked. I just wanted to say Thanks SOO much!:)
    mimi0224 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 04:41 AM
    Comment on HVAC888's post
    THANKS A MILLION!! I just bought a laptop and this feature was on it and it was making me mad!!
    kcooksey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Very simple solution. Press the num lock key. If the num lock is enabled, its like the fn key is stuck. I had this problem with my new dell laptop, and looked kind of foolish when I called to ask for help. Hope this helps you.
    luvs2dance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 04:18 PM
    That same thing is happening to me right now! It is so annoying :mad: it is making me pissed
    luvs2dance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 04:20 PM

Yay! I got it fixed!
    behrooz_85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Thanks, you are great.:)
    1babydoll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 06:59 PM
    I don't have a numbers lock on my laptop!!
    1babydoll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 07:02 PM

I got it! Found elsewhere to hold fn key down and the scroll button next to F12! It worked!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic not shifting out of park & key stuck [ 8 Answers ]

The problem I have is with my 90 Honda Civic EX, auto tranny. On cold mornings I can shift the car out of park and drive around normally, but when I stop and shift back to park it doesn't seem to go into park correctly. I can feel the tranny shifting into park and the car doesn't roll or...

Key stuck in ignition [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn off the car the key will not pull out from the ignition. The wheels will turn when they shouldn't. Any ideas?

My Key keeps getting stuck! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 and my key keeps getting stuck in the ignition when I go to leave my car. Sometimes, only after several desperate minutes of struggling with it does it budge and several times I have been forced to return home early from an event in order to try to fix it there where I...

91 Honda CRX Ignition-key gets stuck [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 1991 Honda CRX-the key keeps gettting stuck in the ignition. The dealership wants $300 just for a new ignition switch. What could be causing this? Easiest fix? Thanks

Which notebook? [ 3 Answers ]

hi, need some guidance. Daughter's going to college and is buying an entry level notebook, narrowed down to two- 1) toshiba a85- s107 and 2) compac presario m2105 us. compac- With a 15" display, wireless capabilities and combo drive, the Compaq Presario M2105US notebook gives you the...

View more questions Search