Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smqms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Atlantic International University
    What do you think about Atlantic International University?
    Is it accredited by official organization?
    They will transfer my associated diploma and my previous work experience to regular hours and will have to cover about 10 courses to have bachelor degree.
    Thank you
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 04:23 AM
    On their website here:
    Atlantic International University: Accreditation

It clearly states (in bold text): "ATLANTIC INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY IS NOT ACCREDITED BY AN ACCREDITING AGENCY RECOGNIZED BY THE UNITED STATES SECRETARY OF EDUCATION."
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 22, 2007, 04:33 AM
    A quick Google produces this:
    "Atlantic International University, Hawaii, Florida. Azaliah, formerly New Mexico, Lost its US accreditation in 2002"
    Please refer to This Thread
    ostakaka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smqms
    They will transfer my associated diploma and my previous work experience to regular hours and will have to cover about 10 courses to have bachelor degree.
    Thank you
    It's a scam. Read the article about Diploma Mills on Wikipedia: Diploma mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A university that offers diplomas on life experience are a scam through and through
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
    There are many other mail order schools that offer you degrees at only a few hundred dollars compared to the 1000's they want.

Heck our church has a religious college degree that is actual study that costs less than this. ( also not acredited but again we are for people in our church who want to study religion)
    genderth Posts: 6, Reputation: -2

Mar 15, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Thank you
    With respect I do not know how you can call AIU a degree mills if you have truly examined the site. There are many non accredited universities are they all scams.

If this is the case they have produced a site that goes a long way towards authentication.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by genderth
    If this is the case they have produced a site that goes a long way towards authentication.
    Absolutely ANYONE can make a web site, it means nothing.

Mar 18, 2007, 02:45 AM
    My argument would be - why go to all the bother of producing a site, holding conferences and degree ceremonies over the globe in different countries, becoming in some way affiliated with other Universities, albeit in Spain and latin American Countries - it seems a long distance to travel for a scam. Especially, when they could do exactly as other (Mills) as you refer do and that is just offer you a degree for a fixed some of money. Personally it does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

As the remarks you are making are damaging and of detrimental to that particular institution, in my opinion without due cause. I am sure if you looked into the University responsibly, you would find that they practice a form of adult learning which has been around for many years, one which is referred to as 'adragogy'. For your information, it is argued that the way an adult learns is different from the way a child learns -- this is the most basic principle behind the educational theory known as andragogy.

The term means man-lead as opposed to child-lead, which is the literal meaning of the word pedagogy. These are two different educational principles, and applying the former in a distance education setting can make for more enriching learning experience.

Further, on investigation I have learned they are not accredited due to the fact they do not have a campus but offices in Miami and Hawai. Many Universities, in fact, some of the best are not accredited. Although a campus would be of benefit for accountability, if one is providing university education worldwide via. The internet it may not be of the upmost importance.

My argument is based on the premise that this type of statement without proven investigation or foundation is wrong. Most 'Degree Mills' when contacted are quite up front over their activities or make it as obvious as possible, under which ever cloak they choose to use. Although I do concur there are issues on the internet and scams that need to be bought to peoples attention and exposing, in my opinion, it is those that one should have evidence of and be identified on valuable sites such as this.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 04:42 AM
    My argument would be - why go to all the bother of producing a site, holding conferences and degree ceremonies over the globe in different countries, becoming in some way affiliated with other Universities, albeit in Spain and latin American Countries - it seems a long distance to travel for a scam.
    In your previous post you mentioned only the website and that was what I responded to, I stand by my response: never believe a company is above board simply because their website looks professional. That's part of the premise of phising scams. You seem awfully defensive on this subject, that leads one to believe you are involved with them. I'll stick with the others and lump 'your school' with the other degree mills that will take your money for a piece of paper that means little to any employer.

Most 'Degree Mills' when contacted are quite up front over their activites or make it as obvious as possible, under which ever cloak they choose to use.
    You're joking, right?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Well said NK, he obviously hasn't paid any attention to my Degree Mill piece that I posted earlier.
    See post #3!
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:23 AM
    It really does not matter who is on their teaching staff, or if they hold mettings for graduates around the world. ( If I was making as much money as they are on these degrees I could afford to do that to, esp with the students paying gradutation fees.

What is inportant at least in the US, is the simple fact, is it reconised by the US government, is it accepted as valid by the US Dept of Education.
    And they are not, you can not take this degree and go for a real Masters degree at any State approved college, you can't use this degree for most business that actually checks on the colleges.

Mar 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I will reserve my opinion on this - I rest my case. I still feel that there are more issues to be looked into on the internet than this, which are only based on opinion rather than fact. Of course there are some professional bodies who do not accept degrees from non accredited Universities but many do, that is made clear also on the site. I am pleased Chuck makes the statement that his is an opinion

Look at the so called credit card processing companies that rise and fall and cost the online consumers thousands of dollars Stormpay for one, the actions of Paypal and of course many many others.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
    I don't believe anyone is saying they will not issue you a degree and I am sure they do everything they promise, I don't know that I have heard of any fruad complaints. The issue as I noted is if the piece of paper ( the degree) has any value once you get it.

It just can not be used for advanced education in the US, As long as a person knows they are not accedidated, and they don't have an issue with it, then they are getting what they understand it is.
    ekilgus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
    There are any number of distance learning institutions that are accredited. The University of Phoenix and AIU are two that come to mind. AVOID any institution that is not accredited by on of the 6 accrediting orgaanizations as you're throwing your money away.

May 22, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Dear All

As I was still concerned over the answers given to the original post. I recently wrote twice to the State of Hawaii to find out the real truth of AIU this was the question I posed and the reply that I received

Question(first email)
    Dear Sir/Madam

I thank you for your attention of this matter. I would ask you to
    Assist me through addressing one or two questions in respect of the
    Above named University and their non-accreditation status .

1. Is it a genuine University which is qualified and professionally
    Able to grant non-accredited degrees.

2. Is is true that they are not accredited as they have no campus and
    Being that fact that they are an online University with little if need
    For a summer school program requirement.

3. Accepting that normally an accredited degree may be required before
    Acceptance and recognition by many professional bodies in the US how
    Important is this 'non-accreditation' outside of the US.

4. How important is it to have an accredited degree. I understand
    Some excellent Universities are not accredited through a State
    Education department.

5. Atlantic International University uses a system of andragogy would
    That system preclude them from gaining accreditation and if not why
    Have they not been granted accreditation.

I would seek your understanding that my questions may reflect my
    Confusion over this matter.

Answer (first email)

You may find information about the regulation of unaccredited
    Degree-granting institutions in Hawaii online at
    Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs - Unaccredited Degree Granting Institutions.
    All we are able to advise you is that AIU is indeed "unaccredited" as that
    Term is used in our law.

Jeffrey E. Brunton

Question: (second email)

Hypothetically, if one were to gain a degree through Atlantic
    International University (AIU) be it a Masters or Doctorate degree
    Which would not be accredited.

Would it further be classed as a degree gained from a 'degree mill' ?

Although I appreciate that the degree Atlantic International
    University (AIU) confers may not be accepted by some professional
    Bodies which require State registration.

Could it be classified as a degree gained through a university which
    Simply provides a different (non traditional) approach to education
    Which at this time would not warrant consideration for accreditation.

I do not live in the US or work there directly so cannot understand
    Why if Atlantic University (AIU) uses an adult system namely
    Andragogy' which I understand, equally demands a rigorous level of
    Academic input and that on first sight seems to be of a relatively
    High standard, one may be left with the idea that it is in fact a
    Degree mill.

I guess my question is - considering the level of education and academic
    Input demanded by the university and the system used, is Atlantic
    International University (AIU) an unaccredited university which
    Demands an adequate level of education from which it is able to confer
    Legitimate albeit unaccredited degrees?

Answer: (second email)

2. Hawaii statutes do not define the term "diploma mill," therefore there is
    No answer to be found for your questions in our law. Thus, our law does
    Not "class" or "classify" AIU degrees in any sense other than that they
    Derive from an "unaccredited" university.

From the above and my research I would still state that Atlantic International University is not a 'degree mill' and, in my opinion, is worthy of consideration, that is after taking into account some of the limitations of a degree issued by an 'unaccredited' university such as AIU.

Genderth

May 22, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I did find the answer helpful and fully agree but that was not the tone of previous answers which were somewhat dismissive - thank you
    asmpha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
    I am a current student at AIU.
    no it's not US acredited but it does have private acreditation (whatever value that may have)

I am not a US citezen and I simply chose AIU because it was best for me. I work full-time and paying for and attending harvard is something that is simply not within my scope.
    I just wanted to let you know that you DO work for your degree, and you do learn things. You ARE supported by wonderful staff and online resources.

I haven't tried to get a job with this degree yet and don't know if I ever will, it depends on the kind of job and counrty you need to work in.

my advice is to decide why YOU need the degree. If you need the degree simply for acreditation.. then AIU is not for you.

if you want the degree for the opportunity to learn, then maybe AIU is what you are looking for.

furthermore AIU gave me a scholarship, so... this so called 'degree mill' - was have a particularly gernerous day when I applied.

I am teacher and studying edcation, there are many highly acclaimed experimental methods of education that never managed to again US acreditation. I am not saying AIU is F%$$ing awesome and everyone should do it, but if you look at some of the usless outdated bullSHHH laws in the US and the current capitalistic approch to educating an obease nation of consumers... no wonder why they don't prvide such exprimental education with acceditation.

Jun 11, 2007, 10:36 PM
    I am a current student at AIU.
    no it's not US accredited but it does have private accreditation (whatever value that may have)

It was good to receive a positive comment in respect of AIU which supports and proves my point that AIU is not a degree mill, although I concur that it is non-accredited but not a degree/diploma mill and it should rest there.

At times the internet contains just too many negatives which need addressing. I am pleased to hear that persons such as 'asmpa' are there to assist in correcting the earlier misleading posts, although I am not suggesting that they were meant to be detrimental or offend - but it is good to live and learn.

Genderth
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 12:10 AM
    They pretty much said themselves that the only reason they can give to argue that it is not a degree mill is that in Hawaii the term "degree mill" is not legally defined.

A pretty poor argument don't you think?
    Mikelv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Thank you
    I guess everyone in this discussion failed to do a good search on the net regarding information and legal action taken against this UNACCREDITED so called University... (aka Diploma Mill in 49 other states)

Take a look at this website... Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs - Atlantic International University

Those who defend AIU are those who already gave up their money so by defending them they don't feel bad or acknowledge the fact that they have been ripped off..

At least according to the injuction, they might be entitled to their money back if they read the attachments on the site above and ask for a refund...

Just my two cents...

Otherwise it doesn't matter if they are accredited or not if your goal is to have a Degree with your name on it, to you it is a degree.. who gives a what the rest of the world thinks, you spent your money, maybe did some studying some work.. so who says it's not real? It only matters if you try to use it for legitimate or legal purposes...

While there are plenty of legitimate non-accredited universities, this is not one that is mentioned among the widely known schools... For pride and self-esteem save yourself some money and get a degree from a church sponored school. You can gain you knowledge from the various open universities website where the entire coursework is posted for your use for free... Standford univ, MIT, and many others.. you just cannot appply for a degree... So take these courses and then pay for challenge exams when you feel you have what it takes to get an accredited degree..

MV

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Washington international university [ 3 Answers ]

Is Degree From Washington International University Regonised As It Is Signed By Us Government Notary

View more questions Search