Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iceberg1002 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 05:30 PM
    What is a paternity test for in family court
    iceberg1002 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 05:44 PM
    If I file for a paternity test in family court do I have to pay child support
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2010, 05:47 PM

Depends on the court case. Generally you don't file for a paternity test. You file for custody and the paternity test is done as part of the custody filing.

If you are awarded primary physical custody then you won't have to pay support. But if you aren't awarded such custody, then the mother will probably ask for support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2010, 05:55 PM

Please don't start multiple threads over the same issue. I've merged your threads for you. Please use the Answer options to add follow-up.

I would think its obvious what a paternity test is for. While its generally obvious who the mother is, if the mother is not married there will be a question as to who the father is. A paternity test establishes a genetic connection between the child and the father,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 04:16 AM

If the other parent is asking for a paternity test though the court and the court orders it, you have to take it. Or be in contempt of court.

If you are the father and want visitation or part custody of the child, then you file for it and then ask for a DNA test to prove you are the parent.

If the other parent files for child support then then you will have to pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can someone get a court order paternity test if the gardian refuses to allow it [ 4 Answers ]

I have a nephew that is 1 yr old. My sister is in prison now but when she got pregnant she was involved with two men. When she had her son the suppose grandmother took in my nephew and later her son took a DNA test and it came out to be that her son is not the father. The lady has filed a petition...

When I file a motion in family court when does the court have to answer me [ 1 Answers ]

I do not have an attorney. I am battling flroida dcf. I have filed a motion to have new evidence heard and to bring to the courts attention that dcf has not lived up to what they have told us. When I filed the motion, the clerk told me that the judge would have to look at it and then decide if I...

Court for Paternity and Support. [ 4 Answers ]

I have court on Jan. 7 for paternity and support. The man that the court is going against I am 100 % positive is not the father of my 9 month old child. He has not wanted anything to do with him at all. How do I go to the court and tell them that I want to drop the case? What I want to do is sign...

Court Order DNA test for paternity of adult child [ 3 Answers ]

I am an adult child. Born in wedlock but my father was not my mother's husband. My biological father lives in another part of town and will not take a DNA test. Can I proceed in court to get a court order to make him do so? Which court? Family or Civil (Equity case?) Is there any PA law on...

View more questions Search