Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girliegirl170 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 07:09 AM
    My puppy is still biting at 6 months
    My puppy is 6 months old and despite all our training, is still biting. I don't know what the normal age is to stop biting but if you tell him off, he acts like it's a fight and bites back harder and tries to bark louder than you. Any help?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 08:00 AM

Can you elaborate on how you have been training him not to bite?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
    Your bark should be one loud NO and that's it. You don't tell dogs off. Keep him on a leash even around the house for a while, stand beside him and tug sharply on it while saying NO. Wait for him to stop and get it for a second and then give him a toy to bite or even a tug toy like rope to play tug of war with you. Then praise him for that.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Your bark should be one loud NO and that's it. You don't tell dogs off. Keep him on a leash even around the house for a while, stand beside him and tug sharply on it while saying NO. Wait for him to stop and get it for a second and then give him a toy to bite or even a tug toy like rope to play tug of war with you. Then praise him for that.
    Joy, I am going to have to disagree with using the leash to reprimand the dog. That is a good way to make a dog fearful of being on the leash and can result in other problems such as the dog hiding or biting to keep from having the leash put on. Plus, done incorrectly or repeatedly can cause damage to the dogs throat and neck.

You are quite right that 'telling off' a dog doesn't work and is a bad idea. The dog thinks you are barking with him instead of getting the idea you are mad at him.

girliegirl, it would help to know what you have tried and how he is played with.

I have gotten to where I perfer a sharp 'eh' instead of 'no' or yelping with our pup. It get's her attention and doesn't sound like a squeaky toy.
    girliegirl170 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
    We have tried a couple of training methods such as sticking with a loud sharp 'a-a-no!', he seams to understand that I was saying something to him but didn't know not to bite. I also tried touching his nose and lightly pressing although now when I try to put my hand near his face, he tries to bite! By telling off I mean loudly and in a deep voice saying 'no finley!'.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 07:35 AM

If you put your hands in a dogs face that bites, he is going to bite. He doesn't understand what you are doing.

Let your puppy know that when he bites, he will lose his playmate. So when he nips, say your sharp "NO" or yelp and walk away. This, mirrors the reaction he would get from another puppy if he played too roughly.

When he starts to bite, remove your hand slowly - don't jerk it away - and give your puppy a toy that he can chew on without damage.

Remember to be persistent, even when he only does this a few times, make sure the result stays the same. Try to always reinforce the good and acceptable behavior, so when puppy licks or plays nice with out using his teeth, give lots of praise.

Begin teaching the "off" command after your puppy has stopped biting with any pressure. Hold a handful of the puppy's dry food, close your hand and say "off." After a few seconds, if the puppy has not touched your hand, say "take it" and give him a piece of food. You are teaching him that "off" means not to touch.

A great thing to check out would be puppy socialization classes. Your pup will learn all the things he would learn in his pack, and build self confidence. I am a stickler for enrolling any new addition into obedience classes, as this is a great way to establish your alpha role in the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy biting himself [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 9 week old mini dachsund and he keeps biting at his hind quarters. He doesn't have fleas, so what is he doing?

Biting puppy [ 3 Answers ]

My staffordshire puppy is 16 weeks old, after having very hard time when we got her, i.e. nearly dying twice and costing us a fortune at vets, she is currently waiting for second injection, due in 6 days, she has never been for a walk yet as not fully covered for parvo etc, she is a lovely puppy,...

Puppy Is Still Biting! Help [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It...

Biting puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We brought home a beagle/hound mix puppy that was abandoned near my husbands work. We took her to the vet and she has been dewormed, defleaed and had her first shots (she is 12 weeks old). She was pretty thin when we brought her home but is now coming along nicely and is putting on weight. ...

View more questions Search