Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malaymehta99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
    How much tax do I have to pay if I earn $ 4000/month on CPT?
    I am an Indian student on F1 visa and am located in California. I want to know how much tax will be deducted from my salary, i.e, $4000/month. And from that charged tax how much can I get back as an international student?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 05:06 PM

What city... some cities have a wage tax, and your county tax will vary based on where you live in the state, unless you are only interested in rough numbers.
    malaymehta99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    I am located in Santa Clara county.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 07:06 AM
    At $48K per year, and assuming you are single, you are in the 25% marginal tax bracket. That means the LAST dollar you earn in 2010 will be taxed at 25%. It starts at zero, then 10%, then 15% on a progressive (the more you make, he higher the tax) scale.

Expect to pay about $6,000 to the IRS and $2,000 to California. Any excess withheld wll be refunded to you.

Note that you are EXEMPT from FICA (social Security and Medicare) taxes. See IRS Pub 519, page 54-55. You can download that pub from Internal Revenue Service, print those pages off and show itto your employer if they are withholding these taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease Do I still have to pay the full month if I move out in 15 days [ 1 Answers ]

I am on month to month lease now. I want to tell them I want to move on the 15 of October. Am I required to pay a full month rent if I don't be there?

F1 student in CPT.what tax to pay? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F1 student working in a paid CPT in NY state, I have been in NY since I started my graduate school here which was about Fall 2008... I wanted to know what Taxes apply to me... 1)Do I need to pay the NY state and City tax? Is my employer supposed to take these taxes from my...

CPT internship: do I pay tax as part-time resident on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would appreciate your help with the following question: I am an F-1 foreign student studying in IL. I did paid internship on CPT status in TX last summer and haven't received income from any other sources than this internship. Now as a part-time resident I file NR schedule for IL...

Should I have pay $4000 to attend a wedding? [ 10 Answers ]

My wife's brother is getting married. He's getting married in southern Mexico (he lives in California). It will cost me over $4,000.00 to fly my family to the wedding. My wife feels that we are obligated to attend. Personally, I feel that he shouldn't expect or even ask people to spend that...

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

View more questions Search