Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AbbyMcGoof Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Glugging Drains/Toilet
    A couple weeks ago my sinks, toilet and tub were gurgling and draining very slowly. I called a plumber but by the time he came, the gurgling and slow drain had stopped. He said all the drain lines were clear. He even snaked out the line from the house to the backyard and said there wasn't any obstruction.

Today the problem started again. When the tub is draining, there is loud gurgling in the sinks and bubbles coming from the toilet. The drains are all slow and the toilet even overflowed once. The plumber never mentioned the vent pipe at the top of the house but from what I've looked at online, I'm wondering if that could be it. How do I check? I can't really afford the plumber again. :(

Thanks,
    Abby
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2007, 08:22 AM
    "Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They are both indicters that something's going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. Let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe until it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble" of air ahead of it. When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your toilet. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the trap by suction, (gurgle).
    Since you have both it sounds like you have both a vent AND a drainage problem.
    Are you prepared to snake the lavatory roof vent? Because that's the first thing I would do. Regards, Tom
    AbbyMcGoof Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Thanks Tom. You were right. We snaked the vent because looking into it, we could see water at the bottom. Once we snaked it, the water went down but whatever we loosened went into the drain and then nothing could go down. Called a plumber (overtime weekend :( ) and he used a big power snake all the way out the drain and across the backyard. No more bubbles, gurles or slow drains.

One last question: the plumber suspects that there may be roots getting into the pipe in the backyard and suggested "Ridex" down the drain. He said it will attach itself to the roots and kill them. In your experience, does this type of treatment work?

Thanks again for your help!

Abby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Drains slow [ 24 Answers ]

A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

One toilet drains into another [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a house with a toilet upstairs and another down when we flush the upstairs one the downstairs one overflows can anyone please help me with this problem?

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

Toilet Drains Slow in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. My toilet in the basement will not flush if a moderate amount of water has been used. Example is if me and my significant both take a shower and I do a load of laundry the toilet will not flush. It fills to the rim and then slowly drains. I have had the sewer line cleaned out to...

View more questions Search