Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eener478 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 12:09 PM
    My 12 year old female jack russell, is getting vicious and trying to bite me
    My 12 year female jack russell, is beginning to get vicious with me and trying to bite when she does not get her way. She is very aggressive when I eat something and keeps trying to get the food anyway that she can. She thinks every time I eat I should share it with her. I have tried putting her in her kennell and she keep barking and trying to get out.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 01:12 PM

She certainly doesn't recognize you as the alpha in the household then. How long has this been going on?

Tick
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
    I agree with tickle. Your dog is displaying dominant aggression towards you.

But that usually doesn't happen from one day to the next. If your dog has not previously acted this way towards you, then you need to determine what has changed to trigger this behaviour.

So, I second tickle's question. How long has this been going on? And has anything changed before and after that point in time? Sometimes when dogs become ill or are injured, people change their behavior towards them because they feel sorry for them during the dog's time of need. This is seen as weakness by dogs with dominant tendencies (and Jack Russells definitely fit that description). And instead of being grateful for the owner's sympathy, they become aggressive.

Afterwards, because of the sudden change in the dog's behavior, people that don't understand dog psychology become fearful, feeding the vicious cycle of dominant aggression and the dog becomes worse. They see the owner become weaker and they become more dominant.

To stop this cycle and begin to rehabilitate the previous relationship, the owner needs to regain dominance in the relationship. This doesn't mean that the owner becomes as aggressive as the dog. The owner simply reacquires the respect that was lost by behaving more assertively towards the dog and exhibiting behaviors which the dog understands.

In order to learn how to do this, I recommend you get some books by Cesar Millan or get his DVD's. There are other dog psychologists out there, but I believe his methods are the best because they are the easiest to implement.

I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training female jack russell shorty [ 0 Answers ]

We have a female jack russell shorty. She weighs about 8 lbs and is now 7 months. I cannot get her potty trained. We have 4 heelers and 1 other jack russell ages 12 yrs to 5 yrs and they all have been trained very easily and never have accidents in house. This little girl is a stinker, but...

Jack Russell pups [ 3 Answers ]

My baby, Peaches and my other baby, Happy, recently had a litter of pups. (sept 18th). She originally had four, but unfortunely, I was at work saving people and was uanble to save 2 of them. I have a couple of questions. They are just a little over a week old and infested w/fleas as are their...

About jack russell puppies [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new jack russell puppy 8 weeks old when do I innoculate and can I give him dried food and scraps rather than canned dog food?

About my jack russell [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old darling jack russell. He just got a rabie shot yesterday. March 5. today he is very calm, and quite, he won't eat or drink. He just sleeps. Is this the reaction to the rabie shot. Please someone answer my question. This is my first dog. I am elderly. Got him for a...

Jack Russell turned vicious & won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

Our 15+ year old Jack Russell ***** has attacked our 15+ year old Golden Retriever ***** 6 times now. Last attacked resulted in bad bite to the Jack's nose. We have cleaned the wound and treated it with antibiotic cream and she is resting but still will not eat or drink. She looks like she is in...

View more questions Search