Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike1966 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 02:14 AM
    Accessing another person's email account law
    If a person obtains their girlfriends password, accesses their email account and uses the information privately with that other person to end a relationship is that a crime. If so, what are the consequences ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2010, 02:19 AM
    Invasion of Privacy would spring to mind, but it really depends if they other party wanted to take matters further.

Sep 24, 2010, 02:26 AM
    QUOTE by Curlyben;
    Invasion of Privacy would spring to mind, but it really depends if they other party wanted to take matters further.
    Further in what way
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2010, 02:29 AM
    Well you have accessed a protected computer network using someone else's credentials, so that would be covered by Computer Misuse legislation.

Sep 24, 2010, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Well you have accessed a protected computer network using someone else's credentials, so that would be covered by Computer Misuse legislation.
    Practically speaking, the only thing that has been done is to confront a girlfriend with that information privately to end a relationship. Nothing further
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2010, 02:39 AM
    Er no.
    You need to have a read of this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...nt-507771.html

Sep 24, 2010, 02:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1966 View Post
    Practically speaking, the only thing that has been done is to confront a girlfriend with that information privately to end a relationship. Nothing further
    Similarly, if a person read a written letter addressed to their girlfriend in the same manner, I know that would be an invasion of privacy - but what would the legal consequences be ?
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2010, 02:48 AM
    Here you go:
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Legally, US Federal law prohibits unauthorized access to a private network. So this would be illegal.

Practically, no prosecutor is going to spend time and money prosecuting this, without a major impact in money.
    Opening another persons physical mail is another matter and somewhat more serious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legality of accessing someone else's account [ 7 Answers ]

If someone figured out my password and accessed my accounts(e-mail, Facebook, etc.) are there any legal actions that can be taken? Would they have to pay a fine or would I be able to have them prosecuted in some way?

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

Track someone accessing my outlook email [ 1 Answers ]

Someone in my office has access to my email using my username and password... I know I could change the password, but how can I find out when or who or from what computer my mail is being accessed. Is it possible to track their ip address or is there some other way?

Accessing Orange email [ 1 Answers ]

I am using Firefox browser to access my email account at orange.fr. Having filled in my email address and password and "entered" the log-on starts but just before my mail box is opened it reverts back to the log-on page. Oddly I can access all of my account except the mail box. I only get this...

View more questions Search