Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amb922 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
    How does the effluent pipe connect to a concrete septic tank?
    I have a concrete septic tank on some land I have purchased and the effluent pipe entering the septic tank is broken so I need to replace it. The pipe entering the tank does not seem to be attached to the tank -- it just runs into the hole. Is this how its typically done? Should the pipe be coupled to the tank in some way or does it just need to run through the hole, and how far should it run through the hole? Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 08:31 PM

First I'd suggest you replace with PVC. The pipe enters the hole in the side of the tank near the top. It is frequently sealed with tar or grouted but that can fall apart over the years. The wall of the tank is less than 4" so put about 6" of pipe into the hole and grout it. I assume the old pipe was cast or clay, in any case if it broke replace the entire run to the house. This can be a back breaker since most lines run below 42" so maybe a few bids from excavators won't hurt. They may give you a fairly good deal and just doing the whole project. I know how to do it, I would choose to subcontract it out and sit in the shade.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Construction of a concrete septic tank in a water logged area [ 2 Answers ]

, how can I construct a 3x3x4 septic tank in an area that is fully water logged.the sewage tank always fills every 2days and we have spent a lot of money evacuating and we are about giving up. Thanks for your help

How to connect abs to concrete pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I have to replace a 45 degree bend in my concrete sewer line that was damaged by roots. Can I do this with ABS? I know I can make the connection to one (non flared end) with a rubber adapter boot, but how do I make the connection to the other side on the which is flared? Also I want to put in a...

How close to a concrete septic tank & chamber septic field can I build a fence? [ 6 Answers ]

We want to build a chain link fence around our septic field in the back yard. The field consisits of the septic tank, main distribution line, and 10 chamber style leach lines, each 100 linear feet long, spaced at ten foot intervals. I need to know how close to the tank and chambers I can put the...

Can I connect a capped plumbing vent pipe in my basement to main septic drain? [ 9 Answers ]

Not much experience with plumbing systems, but I'll try to be as clear as I can. Our basement is not finished, but is roughed in for a full bath. There is a plumbing vent coming down from the first floor into the basement area - it extends straight down about 8 inches and is capped off. I assume...

Septic tank with cast iron pipe how to tell if faied [ 2 Answers ]

How to tell if your cast iron septic tank pipe has failed

View more questions Search