Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rishi27 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
    (a) What type of probability distribution describes X?
    The examination to qualify for first round of accountancy accreditation is based on a multiple choice
    test. Suppose there are 10 questions on the test, each with 4 possible answers, with only one answer
    being correct.
    Let X be the random variable for number of correct answers for someone who guesses
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 03:11 AM

There are 4 possible guesses for the first, 4 for the second, 4 for the third, and so on.

Since there are 10 questions total, then the total number of possible guesses would be

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 09:00 AM

I would say a binomial distribution.

Each question is independent of the other. Knowing one will not cause you to know another one, or don't know another one.
    The probability of getting correct or wrong in each question is the same, 1/4 and 3/4 respectively.
    There is a definite number of events, in this case 10.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability Distribution [ 3 Answers ]

Determine the value of c so that each of the following functions can serve as a probability distribution of the discrete random variable X: (a) f(x) = c(x^2 + 4) for x=0,1,2,3; (b) f(x) = c(2,x)(3,3-x) for x=0,1,2

Type I and Type II Errors (Statistics and Probability) [ 1 Answers ]

A researcher studying stress is interested in the blood pressure measurements of chief executive officers (CEOs) of major corporations. He believes that the mean systolic blood pressure, of CEOs of major corporations is less than mm Hg, which is the value reported in a possibly outdated journal...

Probability distribution of selecting a type of battery. [ 1 Answers ]

In a group of 10 batteries, 3 are dead. You choose 2 batteries at random. a) Construct a probability distribution for the number of good batteries you get. b) What is the expected number of good ones you get?

Normal Probability Distribution [ 2 Answers ]

I don't understand this whole Z curve stuff could someone explain it to me and help with this example question Find the area under the Z curve corresponding to the each of the z values described below. your answer should be accurate to at least four decimal places. A) less than -0.61 B)...

View more questions Search