Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    titchround84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 02:42 AM
    New step faher wants to adopt my 2 children who have no father on birth certificate
    My new partner wants to adopt my 2 children neither of whom have a father listed on their birth certificates neither of the fathers have ever had any kind of relationship with them and csa could not find either of the men I thought were the fathers my daughter is almost 9 years old now and my son is nearly 3 their fathers have never been around as they are actually unknown by myself that may make me sound like a terrible person but all I want is the best for my children regardless of who their fathers may or may not be my new partner is the best dad they could have and we just want it to be legal is it possible for his name to be put on their birth certificates at all?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2010, 04:05 AM

So you hire an attorney to prepare the paperwork. An attempt will still have to be made to contact the possible fathers to get their permission. Its possible you may be able to use CSA's efforts as proof.

The attorney will also tell you what requirements you need to fulfill. For example, most states require an actual marriage before allowing a step-parent adoption.

Sep 15, 2010, 04:19 AM
    what permission could the possible fathers need to give?
    am still waiting for my divorce to be finalised before I remarry but thanks for the advice will certainly check with my solicitors x
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2010, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by titchround84 View Post
    what permission could the possible fathers need to give ??
    Before a court allows an adoption, both parents have to agree to it. This is because, in an adoption, the bio parent is transferring all their rights and responsibilities to the adoptive parent. Therefore the court will want to make sure the bio parent agrees to it.

The law does make provision for absentee or unknown parents. Your solicitor can explain what that process is for you.

Oct 11, 2010, 05:12 AM
    Thanks for that will get in touch with my solicitors and get more advice from them x
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 01:08 PM

Your saying step father and also your saying partner? Are you married or not?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Your saying step father and also your saying partner? Are you married or not?
    She said she is waiting for the divorce (from the actual father of the children, evidently) to be final. So, it appears, she is married to the bio-father and engaged to the prospective adoptive father/ "new partner".
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 02:23 PM

Yes, depending on the exact area, normally they may want or need you to be with the new "partner" at least a year and normally also be married to them.

And it works a lot easier if the bio father will give permission to adopt the kids. The courts will have specific requirements on the search you will be required to do if their location is not know.

Even though not listed they have rights that have to be signed over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it posible to adopt a child if there's no father on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married soon to my girlfriend, and she has a child 11yrs old. There is no father on the birth certificate, nor have any one ever seen him. He split when she told him she was pregnant. Can I adopt her child?

Does a step father have rights if no father is listed on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 8yrs and my husband has been the one that has taken care of her since she was 2 yrs. Her bio father isn't listed on her because but we have had a dna test done. He doesn't want to be part of her life but doesn't know if he wants to sign over his rights! Does my husband have any...

How to adopt an infant with the father not signing the birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a baby awhile ago and the male that I had it with wasn't a very good man and was a poor judgement on my side. I have moved on and currently am soon to be getting married. It was never my choice that he didn't sign the birth certificate and he had many options to do so. He claims that he...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search