Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    humblemunkey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 10:31 AM
    Yikes! Washer drain water backs up into kitchen sink!
    I recently relocated my laundry machine into a newly converted laundry room. I am having a problem with Drain water from Washing machine backing up in my kitchen sink. I installed a circular rubber seal on drain pipe at the opening, using caulk. The rubber disk creates a tight seal around the washing machine drain hose. (Originally before I installed it, the water would shoot out the top of the drain pipe. With seal installed, it drains but backs up into kitchen sink.) I can provide a photo of the plumbing setup, via email.
    Is it a case that I need a Vent Pipe for the Stand Pipe, or a Studor Vent near the Stand Pipe? I don't know the correct applications for Studor Vents versus Vent Pipes.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2010, 10:37 AM

humblemunkey, post the pic here, sounds like you have blockage, snake the drain. Good luck

Sep 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Comment on parttime's post
    Not sure how to post a photo on here as a response.

Sep 10, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Comment on parttime's post
    Photobucket...

Sep 10, 2010, 11:26 AM
    I have a feeling it is a pipe problem and not a clog problem. Being that the dish washer and sink drain perfectly fine. New piping for the washing machine ties in under the kitchen sink, which has a vent pipe. The original washing machine drain pipe was BEFORE the kitchen sink. Now the washing machine drain pipe is AFTER the kitchen sink, about *12-14 ft away, with no vent pipe between sink and washing machine.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2010, 12:41 PM

humblemunkey, to post pic here. Click Go Advanced and click manage attachments, then just browse your pics. And submit. There's good plumbing help on this site so don't give up.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 02:52 PM

Hi guys...

I'm hoping for pics. Here as well, but at this moment even though the sink and dishwasher drain well I'm in agreement with parttime in that the drain line is clogged because washing machines put out such a great volume of water compared to the sink or dishwasher. You wouldn't believe how many times my customers' main drains worked just fine until the washing machine drained into the line and showed us a PARTIAL BLOCKAGE in the drain line.

Although, definitely sounds like you need to add a vent here, too!

Post the pic... see from there.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my bathroom tub and sink drain and water backs up in them both? [ 1 Answers ]

The shower in my apartment has never dained well, I am always standing in water. All the sudden my bathroom sink drains slow. Also, when the sink starts to fill the water backs up in the tub. I can't shower now and have to brush my teeth in the kitchen.What should I do?

Clothes washer backs up into kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

Our house was built on slab in 1969. It was a rental for several years before we bought it and Lord only knows what the tenants poured down the kitchen sink (fry oil and rice? Motor oil and feathers?). Anyway, the laundry room is at the very beginning of the drain line. From the laundry room, it...

It seems my kitchen sink and washer all drain into my bathroom? [ 4 Answers ]

We recently purchased a mobile home and I have noticed that the washer water seems to drain into the tub, and the toilet, and today I noticed that the water from the kitchen sink does the same thing. Is this normal? What should I do?

Bathtub won't drain, water backs up into it from the bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

My bathtub won't drain. Gel drain cleaner did nothing except come back up into the tub. Now I have to scoop it and the water out. When I put water in the bathroom sink, it drains but the water level in the tub rises. Both are upstairs in the same room. The toilet in the same room flushes but...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

View more questions Search