Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeblow1009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Entries to record fixed asset addition/trade-in
    I purchase a truck with sticker of $20k and trade in a fully depreciated truck which I get $2k towards the new one. Do I record the new truck at $20k and recognize the gain or simply apply the $2k toward the new truck and record it at $18k? (US GAAP)
    acctg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 11:18 AM
    The new truck should be recorded at $18K. No gain is recorded because in an exchange transaction, gains on similar assets are deferred.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 08:44 PM

Trading a truck with a 2K value for a new truck is not a like exchange.

Also the 2K isn't a gain unless it had no salvage. (Fully depreciated doesn't mean it has no value, only that you've depreciated everything you're going to.) But if we assume that 2K really is a gain, take the gain.

The other question is why you're paying sticker and what kind of truck is that cheap? Which makes me wonder - is this homework? If so, and you're in principles, the book might be behind the times and still teaching that this is a "like-exchange" even though it's not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Record the sale of a fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

How to record the sale of a fixed asset at year end?

Apply Trade in Value of Fixed Asset [ 1 Answers ]

Corporation Traded up on Vehicle. CR Vehicle DR Accum Depr CR Cost of Sale How do I enter Trade-in credit allowed by dealer when new vehicle is bought? joyce1954

View more questions Search