Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spotty Concrete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Hard water spots on stamped & stained concrete patio
    We recently installed a new concrete patio, stamped and stained. It is a beautiful leather brown. Whenever tap water gets on the patio it leaves white stains and spots! Our water is quite hard and we have a water softener in the house, but not outside. Is there any type of easy fix - other than mopping!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Is there any type of easy fix - other than mopping!
    Probably not. When the water evaporates, it leaves the calcium, magnesium, or iron salts that are in the water wherever they lie. You can clean that off with acid (not a great idea) or chelants. If you soften the water, you'll leave sodium chloride (salt) behind.

You could squeegee the water off the area and then there wouldn't be as much deposit, but that's as much work as mopping.
    water_doctor Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2009, 04:05 PM

As far as the water goes there is not a lot that can be done to stop it from leaving a residue behind. If you have an efficient softener then you won't see much salt residue if you rinsed it off with soft water. Is the patio in direct sun or is it under an awning or covering of some sort. Not that that will solve your problem but if it doesn't evaporate as quickly it's amazing how much will run off those treated steps and not leave as much of a residue. Again sorry it's not a solutions, just some ideas.
    Spotty Concrete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
    I decided to try several different things I have "heard" might work. So, I applied difference solutions to different parts of the driveway. They included, SLR, Baking Soda solution, lemon juice, and white vinegar.

All of them were failures, except white vinegar! So I went back later and applied white vinegar to the worst areas. I let it rest full strength for several minutes and then mopped. The white powdery substance, that had been fixed to the concrete, now smeared where ever I mopped. So I got a bucket of fresh water from the house (softened) and mopped up the vinegar and residue. It was had work, and I am sure the neighbors thought I had lost my mind to be mopping the driveway, however, it was clean! At least, until the next time the sprinkler went off and water ran from the garden onto the driveway.

Another quicker fix, life for a party, on this deep brown driveway, is "red vineger" i.e. cheap box red wine! It stains the white powder for a temporary fix. Then washes off with water.

Thanks for you ideas.
    shintao Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Why not try a liquid wax on the dry surface. I have used it for spotting a car where the finish flaked.

Second idea, use Thompsons water sealer. When we built a reactor, the labors used the TWS on the concrete, several coats as I recall. That is also good for sealing the grout in your shower, and of course decks.
    garfield9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
    I have the same problem and know how to clean off the residue. What I'd like to know is there a way to treat the exterior wter system? I have a water softener for the house interior.
    Jo Denyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2013, 02:21 AM
    Hi,
    I have a large terrace and only recently, after 16 years, has the problem of white spots arisen. I have not been doing anything differently but it is really insightly. Please have you a solution?
    rjbuchan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 11:46 AM
    If you know how to clean off the residue could you share that information? I do not know how to treat your exterior water system. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Concrete Patio spots [ 3 Answers ]

We had a patio poured on Friday when the weather was rainy in the AM and humid the rest of the day. The contractor put sealer on it when they were finished and now the patio looks spotted and some of the edges look dirty. Anyone know why? It looks horrible. We were gone all weekend and came back...

Extending a concrete slab patio using concrete blocks [ 11 Answers ]

I currently have a 14x16 concrete patio I am about to build a pergola over and have also decided to lay stone tiles over the concrete instead of staining it to give it a new look. I was looking at my plans and realized this would be a perfect opportunity to extend my patio out another 5ft so it...

Stamped concrete Pool Deck Seal [ 2 Answers ]

I need to seal our pool deck (Stamped Concrete). What is the best product for seal with non-slipping ? I don’t want to kill my kids yet.:D Any suggestion please !

Stained concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to stain concrete in kitchen and dining area. Am planning on using floor leveler first because the concrete has some flaws. Do you know anything about using concrete stain over floor leveler?

Stamped concrete patio [ 1 Answers ]

What base should be used for a stamped concrete patio: crushed concrete vs. sand? I live in Michigan if it makes any difference. Thanks!

View more questions Search