Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiredwaiting Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 06:15 PM
    Shower takes too long to get hot water
    Trying to figure out how to diagnose the master shower in a 26 year old house. It takes an extreme amount of time to get hot water. The other shower (in next room) and all of the sinks all get hot water quickly. I finally bought a temperature sensor led shower head so I could tell when to bother to get undressed, but it is wasting five minutes of water while I wait. Could it be the control (MIXET) causing this ? Or?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 10:54 PM

It could be number of things... Before you do anything, I suggest you remove your shower head and run shower w/o the head installed. See how fast you get hot water now... Let me know what happened... Back to you... Milo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2010, 06:41 AM

Did this shower always take a long time to get hot or did it just start? Back to you, Tom

Sep 7, 2010, 07:38 AM

It takes about 3 minutes without any shower head. We have been in this house 1 year. Been a problem the whole time. Changing shower heads hasn't affected it much. It will take longer as weather gets colder
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2010, 07:45 AM

This sounds like a design flaw. Does this also affect the bathroom sink? Have you considered adding a recirculating line to the bathroom? Would you like to learn more? Cheers, Tom

Sep 7, 2010, 08:05 AM

Bought a recirculating pump but returned it when I realized master shower is so close (>10 ft) to other shower and 3 sinks (for some reason 2 in guest bath and 1 in master). Master Bath sink doesn't seem to take as long.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 08:09 AM

Remove the shower head on this bad shower and the other one. Set both to the hotest setting and turn them both on collecting in a bucket. Did they both produce the same volume of water and was the temp the same. This could be a clogged hot supply inlet or faulty mixing valve.

Sep 8, 2010, 09:27 AM

I will have to try that in a few days, I only have one bucket. I would be surprised if line is clogged. The new showerhead needs cleaning already- it's showing signs of clogging and screen had stuff in it too.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 01:17 PM
    A mixing valve or shower head can plug almost instantly upon installation if there is debris in the line which gets knocked loose when the main is turned back on.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 08:23 PM

Above posts are correct... You will have to investigate why all other bathrooms are getting enough hot water and that shower is not. As mentioned, it may be a design flaw, kinked pipe, partially closed valve / angle stop, kinked pipe... and more.

Is this bathroom a new addition ?
    Do you have crawl space or are you on slab ?
    Do you have PEX pipes installed ?
    What kind/type/brand of faucet is in that shower ?

Back to you... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water takes tooo long [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a large home with 3 bathrooms upstairs. It takes a long time to get hot water to the master bedroom showeron second floor (seems it gets there faster in the sink) which is situated above the hot water tank in the basement. In My daughters room, on the other end of the house, it takes...

Hot Water Takes Too Long To Flow [ 8 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this problem? I and my suite downstairs have a problem of having to run the water for a really long time before the hot water flows out. We are wasting so much water while waiting for hot water. Sometimes it even starts luke warm then goes cold and then finally hot. We...

Water takes a long time to get hot [ 4 Answers ]

It takes five minutes for the water it heat up in my bathroom even thought it is not far from the water heater. What can I do?

Hot water takes too long to warm [ 2 Answers ]

Ever since we bought our house (built 2001) we have had a hard time getting the hot water hot in the shower. This is intermittent. Sometimes we start the shower and the water is hot and ready within a normal amount of time (2 minutes or so). Other times you can let it run for 5 or more and still...

Hot water takes long time [ 4 Answers ]

Hello every one, It takes long time for the hot water to come on while we take shower especially on the second floor shower, once it is running then it is OK, but in the beginning wasting a lot of water, any suggestions please.

View more questions Search