Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIYinSeattle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 11:50 PM
    Toilet water inlet leaks
    The 18" brass tubing on the water inlet has a crack right at the angle stop. Big crack, big leak when the valve is open (no leak when the valve is closed). Can this tube be replaced without solder/welding? This home was built 14 years ago (fixture age). I've heard speedball say there should be a compression nut at the angle stop but I do not see a nut where the tube enters the angle stop. Is is possible that the tube has a different attachment mechanism? How can I miss a coupling nut - the photos I've seen make it obvious and this angle stop looks like those except for the tube fitting.

Secondly, at the toilet tank end of the tube, the coupling nut was separated from the tube when my wife was toying with white/plastic outer nut (probably when the tube was cracked). The coupling nut has a thick internal rubber gasket - does this simply slide/screw over the brass tubing or do I need a new gasket / coupling nut once it has been removed?

Thanks in advance
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
    If your angle stop looks like this then all you need to do is replace the 1/4" chrome tube. Just take the old one nin and ask for a replacement and a 1/4" feral. You will also need a set of tubing cutters to9 cut the supply to size. Good luck, Tom
    DIYinSeattle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 12:14 AM
    This looks just as you described and not like my angle stop - the compression nut is obvious here. Is it possible that mine does not have a compression nut?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Can you tell me how the supply tube's secured to the valve? They do make a solder on angle stop that does not have a compression nut also one that threads on to a galvanized stub-out. If this were my call I would remove everything back to the stub-out and do everything over. Regards, Tom
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
    They also have flexible (braided) connectors for this purpose that you just attach at each end. They are much easier to use than traditional compression fittings. Not as elegant in appearance, but much simpler for a DIYer not experienced in plumbing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement wall leaks when toilet flushes [ 2 Answers ]

We live in an OLD farm house with a stone basement. Whenever we flush the toilet the basement wall leaks. It is clean water. Any ideas what the cause is and how to fix it?

Toilet leaks [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be? Many thanks, JD

Shower leaks when toilet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, when I flushed my toilet, the shower will leaks for a duration of time when the toilet tank is filling up. The leaks stop after the tank is filled. It is more severe at night than during day time. Do you know what might be causing it? Thank you. Wyne L.

Toilet leaks at handle [ 9 Answers ]

Help, the tank fills up too much, all the way to the handle! And then starts drip drip dripping outside the handle connection into a bucket! But I notice that when the toilet is used a lot (flushed) it does not doing it as often, I guess because it takes a while for the tank to fill up to the top...

Changed the Flip, but toilet still leaks [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the flaps in my toilet 3 times and the toilet still leaks, giving me the phantom-flush. What am I missing? :confused:

View more questions Search