Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khadka Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 11:59 AM
    House is cold even heat is on to 70 (thermostat)
    I have a 2 story house and about 20 years old. I recently bought this house.
    I do not know so much about to maintain properly.

I have a delime that, when I put the thermostat to 70, the downstairs always get cold but the upstairs get hot. As long as the hot air comes from room vent, it feels warm and I tried to put the thermostat to 65, it gets cold in a short time, this happens only downstairs.

I checked if there are any leaks in the windows, doors etc, I did not see any, But I found cold air coming from Chimney, I closed the chimney cover but still air comes from inside.
    I covered the chimney from outside with trash bag, helping little not much.

My questions are

Anybody know if there is any material I should use to cover chimney because I don't use it.

Is there a way I can check if the house is reasonably air tight, if not where and how to check?

Thanks
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
    If you plan to never use the chimney, you can have the top sealed by a bricklayer. If you do want to use the fireplace, consider installing a wood-burning fireplace insert, or a gas fireplace. Both will be sealed and burn outside air, so they won't be paths for warm air to exit your house and cold air to come in.

I would also suggest checking the outside walls to see if they are insulated. Take the cover off an electrical outlet and look into the tiny gap between the metal box and the drywall. You should be able to see some insulation in there, behind a sheet of plastic. If you don't, well, it might go some way towards explaining the cold.

Other areas to look for air leaks? Weatherstripping around doors and windows are big leakers. If the weatherstripping is old or missing, that could lead to drafts. Another big spot for air to leak out of your house is through the attic hatch. It should be fairly heavy, and rest on some weatherstripping. It's also good if the hatch is insulated with some styrofoam. There are companies that will come in and assess your house for about $300. A reputable one will be totally worth it.

One final question for you - is the thermostat upstairs? Heat rises naturally, so if the upstairs gets warm first, the thermostat will notice that and shut the furnace off. If the upstairs is heating up much faster than the downstairs, you should be able to re-balance your heating system. Down in the basement, there should be louvers in the heating ducts. Just close down the ones to the upstairs vents, and open up the ones to the downstairs vents.

Good luck!
    thermaview Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 11:30 PM
    Take a look at www.thermaview.info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

My heat is cold [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have central heating and ac my heat worked a few weeks ago but I noticed at one point it was coming out cold so I put it up to like 80 degrees and it got warm I put my heat on last night and it was coming out cold even when I did put it up to 80 degrees nothing helped then at one point for a...

Electric Heat/ cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I use electric heat to heat my 1200 sq. home. Usually the therm. Is around 65 - 70, at night it is around 69, while sleeping under sheet & comfroter, we usually wake up hot, and Sweating (bed soaked from sweat), but when we remove the sheet. It is like the air in the room is too cold to do...

Help it's cold outside and no heat [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a new thermostat tonight, a honeywell CT87B, I unhooked the wires from the old stat, and now have no idea what there all for or where they go. I have a carrier central air unit, and an older sears hot water baseboard heat unit, I have two sets of wires coming from the wall. There first one...

No Cold Water In House! Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the cold water in my house. Everything was working fine until about a week ago and now every time you turn the cold water on it goes from cool to warm in 2 or 3 seconds. I have tried letting in run, testing all of the water faucets, washing machine, etc. in the house. I am...

View more questions Search