Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovelivelaugh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 10:42 PM
    What happens if you violate felony probation?
    I really really would appreciate your help on this matter!

My father was arrested about a year ago for possession of drugs but the judge sentenced him to probation. He attended all his classes and gave drug tests that were all required in his probation. He has hep C and he became so ill he left the country to get treated and just came back to US. He was gone for about 10 months and they arrested him under a warrant as soon as he came here. He violated his probation because he did not fully complete his probation sentence. We have all the paperwork from his treatment from the other country so I was just wondering what you think the chances are that the judge won't sentence him to jail time. Yes he didn't get permission to leave the country and violated his probation, but he completed some of it, didn't commit any other criminal activity, and has doctor paperwork to prove that he was getting emergency treatment.

PLEASE hELP!!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 05:31 AM

I suspect that he is going to have a hard time convincing a judge that he needed to go to a different country for medical treatment.

He did commit a crime... he violated a court order.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 06:37 AM

Hello l:

If he was arrested a year ago, and left the country 10 months ago, then he didn't do very much of his probation at all. Besides, if the medical treatment was only available outside the country, he could have gotten permission to travel. He didn't.

I think they're going to send him to the slam for a while.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 08:08 AM

Not having permission to leave the country is an automatic violation. Not doing his reported monthly visits to the PO is another. Expect the Judge to put him in jail as he did not take his probation seriously. Medical treatment is not a legitimate excuse and the Judge will not look too kindly on his leaving for 10 months.
    headder0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
    I was wondering what might happen to my boyfriend he is on parole an he got arrested for obstruction of justice on Friday he has court moday is he going to have to serve the rest of his time in jail since he violated his probation ?
    headder0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
    I was wondering what might happen to my boyfriend he is on parole an he got arrested for obstruction of justice on Friday he has court moday is he going to have to serve the rest of his time in jail since he violated his probation ?
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 11:28 AM

Hello h:

It's not as simple as that. He didn't violate his probation unless he's found guilty, the offense occurred DURING his probation, and he didn't tell his PO when he had police contact.

There's also a LOT of other stuff that is relevant, but I don't need to know what they are, because even then, I couldn't tell what a judge is going to do...

The best advice I can give you, is the OUTCOME is NOT written yet. YOU can positively impact the outcome IF you hire a good lawyer for him.

excon
    genn93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 07:35 PM
    My boyfriend was on probation for D.U.I and he violated his probation by going to jail on a Domestic Violence, what are most likely the consequences he will have?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 06:50 AM

Hello genn:

He'll probably spend a few month in jail.

excon
    Chijess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 08:47 PM
    My ex boyfriend violated probation and violated a full stay away order and had been indicted by a grandjury for kidnapping now I would like to know how much time can he get in jail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a Speeding Ticket violate probation? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is on probation for a felony. He got a speeding ticket in Sept and reported it to his PO on voicemail and never heard anything about it. He was changing PO's at the time which could explain why they didn't say anything to him Then in Nov he violated probation because he forgot to...

Does traffic violation violate my probation? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello,I am a 17 year old male. I was put on probation for 1 year for possession of marijuana.I also lost my license for 6 months. This was on April 13th 2007 that I was put on probation. Since I was under 18, I went to family court. But last week, I was riding a \"Go-Ped\" (motorized scooter), the...

Violate of Probation [ 2 Answers ]

Back in Sept, of 2006 I went in front of a judge to terminate a court order of restraining order of my boyfriend. The judge approved. The thing is, his probation officer came to the house March 28, 2007 to arrest him because now they are saying he violoated probation because there is a stay away...

Will I violate probation? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to see my p.o. I am going to give him a dirty test, it's my first time on probation and in trouble (GM) (embezzlement.) it's not just thc dirty either. What might I expect?

View more questions Search