Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doggirl Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
    What happens if pregnant dog goes over 64 days?
    My dog is a bichon frise ,she is 1year and 6months old.
    She is 64 dogs pregnant ( counting from her 1st matting).
    I have been taking her temperature from day 60 and it was
    100.8 on day 61 her temperature was 100.5 in the morning and
    99.5 in the evening, I then taught she was going to whelp
    That night because of downfall in her tenperature. The night
    Came and no puppies on day 62 her temperature stayed at 100
    On day 63 her temperature was 100 in the morning and 99.7 in
    The evening. Today (day 64) I took her temperature at 9:30
    And it was 100.6 and I took it again at 16:40 and it was
    101.1. for the past week there has been milk from her
    Nipples and she is picking at her food and drinking her
    Water as normal. There is no sign off getting turned off
    Food or nesting and she is still fairly active. Please reply
    A.S.A.P as I am worried something may be wrong"
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 12:00 PM

What does the Vet say? My research indicates that around 63 to 4 days a decision regarding a C-section is made.

She needs to see a Vet.

Will this be her first and last litter?

Aug 23, 2010, 12:07 PM

The vet says let nature take its course that it is her 1st litter that it can range from 63-70 days but I was anxious to get more advice outside my vet. I have bred many dogs but the usually have whelped by now and shown many signs, but this was an accident but luckily I knew the male dog and it was the same breed as her
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 12:13 PM

If a Vet answered your question I don't understand why you posted the question. Did the Vet suggest that the dog be boarded with him until she is ready to deliver?

Aug 23, 2010, 12:18 PM

No he said she would be okay by herself. I know but she is at day 64 and never have I come across a small dog go that long. Nobody I have asked has the same opinion as the vet so I needed to see did anyone else agree with him and was everything safe
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 01:16 PM

Here's my very clear problem - a trained Vet, someone who went to Vet School and actually graduated, has given you advice concerning the health/condition of your pregnant dog. You are now second guessing that trained Vet on the Internet?

What does it matter what anyone else thinks or says? Unless they are also Vet School graduates you are putting your dog at risk.

Sorry to be harsh but I never understand second guessing someone who is trained, educated and, in this case, licensed.

Aug 23, 2010, 01:58 PM

Okay fair enough.. thanks
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Sorry to be harsh but I never understand second guessing someone who is trained, educated and, in this case, licensed.
    I can understand seeking a second opinion, but I have to agree that your choice of where to look could be better. You have two choices: Listen to your Doctor or Search for another Doctor. I've been breeding and training dogs for half a century and I don't second guess my Doctor. I have changed Doctors lots of times.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 02:10 PM

You said 64 days from her FIRST mating. How many times and days apart did they mate? Has the vet determined how far along she actually is?

Aug 23, 2010, 02:13 PM

She mated twice one day after the other, no he just estimated 60-63 days

Aug 23, 2010, 02:22 PM

Sorry Cat1864 I misread your question. He seen her 4 weeks ago and said she should be due 60-63 from when she mated. I rang him today to say they were still not here and he said to wait. He never gave much time on the phone to me. I have talked to 3 breeders and they all said for a bichon it should be 60-63 days and she is now 64 days and there is no sign of them tonight so it will be 65 days tomorrow, this is why I am concerned
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 02:28 PM

If she is not stressing then just leave her be for now.

Be warned though, a lot of smaller dogs do require c-sections so if she goes into labor and appears to be stressed in any way get her back to the vet.

There is also a shot that can be administered to try and avoid a c-section but can only be given once labor has started, it is also the same drug given at the end of whelping to 'flush out' the uterus.

Aug 26, 2010, 11:26 AM

Dog had pups yesterday morning. 3 healthy puppies and mum doing great. All vet checked and he very happy with all. Thanks for all the "advice"
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggirl View Post
    dog had pups yesterday morning. 3 healthy puppies and mum doing great. all vet checked and he very happy with all. thanks for all the "advice"
    Congratulations. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 12:06 PM

Wonderful -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 64 days pregnant temp dropped yesterday to 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my staff is 64 days pregnant she had a temp drop yesterday down to 98.42 then to 98.24 and today her temp is 98.6 she has been nesting all night I stayed up with her and panting she does not look in any distress has eaten a couple of sausages today but won't eat anymore she is just sleeping and...

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant and not eating I have tried allsorts of dog food [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant I have tryde allsorts of dog food can anyone help me

My dog is 64 days pregnant temp 37.4 does she need to see a vet yet [ 4 Answers ]

When does my dog need to see a vet

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

View more questions Search