Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yuls3211 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 08:52 PM
    How to hook up 2 hot water heater system?
    I am trying to hook up 2 hot water heaters in one house, (natural gas). I know how to hook up one tank, but not 2. please help.:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yuls3211
    I am trying to hook up 2 hot water heaters in one house, (natural gas). I know how to hook up one tank, but not 2. please help.:confused:
    There are two types of hookups. Series and parallel. Before I can answer I need to know the reason you're doing this. Separate zones for hot water distribution?
    Increased storage capacity? Using one for a "kicker heater"? The hookups are different for different applications.
    Regards, Tom
    yuls3211 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    There are two types of hookups. Series and parallel. Before I can answer I need to know the reason you're doing this. Separate zones for hot water distribution?
    Increased storage capacity? Using one for a "kicker heater"? The hookups are different for different applications.
    Regards, Tom
    I am try to increase the capacity. Thank you Tom.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Do you have the ducting capacity to vent an additional gas fired hot water tank?

Improperly installed or undersized exhaust ducting can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Good point Growler,
    Do you have the ducting capacity to vent an additional gas fired hot water
    Tank?

I think if I wanted to increase my hot water capacity I would opt foir a larger single hot water heater, the reason being it's cheaper to operate one burner then two plus you have half the maintenance.
    But to answer your question you would hook them up in parallel. One cold water feed for both cold water inlets and both hot water outlets tied together and connecting into the hot water main. Good luck, Tom
    Beeker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
    The way that I will hook it up in my house :

There will be 2-40 gal gas water heaters that are side by side. You want to make sure that you have not only the exhaust capacity, but also the fresh air capacity. For exhaust I am going to use a 3x3 to 5 inch collector. I will have to enlarge the current chimney opening to accommodate the 5 inch. I am also going to install a fresh air combustion kit. This will bring in air from the outside, so I do not use too much oxygen from inside the house. It is code for houses that are built before '74, check your codes.

I am going to give each heater a cold water feed. I will designate one primary and one secondary. The primary hot outlet will feed the house supply. The hot from the secondary will go into the drain for the primary.

I am told that this works very well.

Check the codes in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Good point Growler,
    Do you have the ducting capacity to vent an additional gas fired hot water
    tank?

I think if I wanted to increase my hot water capacity I would opt foir a larger single hot water heater, the reason being it's cheaper to operate one burner then two plus you have half the maintenance.
    But to answer your question you would hook them up in parallel. One cold water feed for both cold water inlets and both hot water outlets tied together and connecting into the hot water main. good luck, Tom
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Dec 14, 2010, 09:32 PM
    Hi,

Come out of the wall with cold supply and tee off to each cold inlet of both water heaters and make sure it is equal length to each inlet. Have the same with the hot side of the heater outlet and into 1 hot supply to fixtures. This is if u are planning to set up to have the extra hot water and better recovery rate.

Eternal Plumber

Dec 15, 2010, 05:15 AM

Hey Argalu
    Thanks for the imput but You're responding to a 4 year old dead thread. Look in the upper left hand corner for the date of post.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater hook up/dielectric unions [ 8 Answers ]

When I moved into this house the hot water heater (3 years old now, gas unit) was hooked up to the existing system with copper fittings. The whole house has copper supply lines. 1. Should I put dielectric fittings between the hot water heater and the copper lines? I know the dissimilar...

Hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

My husband tried to turn down the heat on the hot water heater and now we have no hot water. I think he turned off the pilot. I tried to lite it today, but I can find where to do it. I know to turn it to pilot and hold the red button and lite. But I am not sure where the pilot is, I removed the...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

How to plan gas pipe job to hook-up tankless hot water heaters [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me Help Desk, I am installing two Paloma 200K BTU tankless hot water heaters in our L-Shaped 2900 square feet 1963-built rancher in Atlanta, GA. I am trying to decide if I should tackle the gas line part of the job. I have successfully done a number of small gas jobs which required...

View more questions Search