Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ogaontebale Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 05:31 AM
    External HDD recognized, but not visible in MY Computer
    Just bought a new USB2.0 Hard Drive External Storage System. I coonected it through USB and gets recognized by the computer but would not appear in my computer? I have never used it before and I assumed I would see it there, just like a Memory Stick when inserted.

Assist
    Ona.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Jan 10, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Howdy and welcome to AMHD:

That is typical when the hdd has not been formatted yet..

If you are using XP, go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management..

Now, click on Disk management..

When the new window opens, right click on the external drive and select "format"..

Once formated, you should be able to "see" it..

Murray
    rehansiddiq Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 03:16 AM
    And if the USB Disk already fomated and contained Partitions and you are using Server 2003 then you just have assign the Drive Letters using Disk management
    Because in Server 2003 you have to assign the Drive Letter like ( E: D: J: etc) although the Disk is already and having Data…
    dondeballi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Just bought a new USB2.0 Hard Drive External Storage System. I coonected it through USB and gets recognized by the computer but would not appear in my computer? I have never used it before and I assumed I would see it there, just like a Memory Stick when inserted.
    mschultz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I have a similar problem where the device manager recognises the HDD when plugged into the USB port BUT does not appear in My Computer or the disk management snap in?

Any ideas?
    peterseth Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 07:28 AM
    It is working!
    I connect my external 80 GB HDD Samsung to notebook via USB, and it appears only in control panel, disk devices, but not in windows explorer.
    So, as the post from Jan 10, 2007, 03:19 PM is describing I try Disk Management. In its window I see my HDD, but not initialised or connected, I don't remember correct phraze. So I was looking for option, were to initialise disk. I right click on icon of this HDD Samsung (in window on right side down you see icon of your c: hdd as e.g. disk 0 and below is next disk e.g. disk 1 - this was not connected) and there was option initialise or connect. And when I connect disk, on same rightclick menu appears option "format." So I format disk- wizard starts. Wizard ask for assign drive letter (e.g. F:) etc... and it is all.

Small notice, I configure external disk with jumpers as slave, but I think, that this is not important for external device. But, as we said in my country - with windows one don't know...

Peter
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Feb 2, 2007, 06:58 AM
    I have a similar problem except that the external drive does not show up in computer management. I have also tried partition magic and it isn't seen there. It does show up in device manager though. So now I'm stumped. Is there a way to force computer management to pick it up? Thank you.

I finally figured out my problem. It was a bad case. Once I installed it into a new case it was recognized immediately in computer management.
    atriest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Thanks, I had the same problem in windows server 2003 active directory.
    I fixit with your given advice.
    But now I am looking for the real resin way ad give no drive characters on USB disks?
    Haze somebody a clou?
    Ronald Bulthuis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 06:12 PM
    If your new Hard drive is not visible in Explorer, but can be seen in Disk Manager, there are two possible solutions:

1) Windows can not assign assign a drive letter to your new hard drive because it used by something else (often an assigned network drive). In that case open Disk Manager (Right click on My Computer and select Manage). Click on Disk Management. In the right pane, right click on your new disk and select the option "Change drive letter or path..." and change it to a drive letter that is not in use yet.
    If the option "Change drive letter or path" is not available look at solution 2. After this right click again on your drive and put it online.

2) Windows has an internal conflict with the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) interface. Go to Configuration screen and hardware management and disable your IEEE 1394 (you can enable later again).
    Boot your PC. Open Disk Management again and follow the instruction under solution 1.

Your hard drive should be visible now in Explorer. Some new hard drives do not have partitions yet or might not be formatted yet. In that case, it might still not be visible yet. Go to Disk Management again and right click on your hard drive and select "Add Partitions". Add one (or more) partitions.
    You can put formatting off. It should now be visible in Explorer. If the drive was not formatted by the manufacturer, Explorer will automatically ask you to format it.

Hope this solves most of the problems mentioned here
    Paul308GTSi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
    Help me Ronald Bulthuis
    Paul308GTSi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 08:14 PM
    HELLLLLPP !

I just read Ronald's post and it sounds like the answer to a problem I have with a Western Digital WD7500 external drive. It was operating fine until I switched it from USB2 to Firewire one day. The next time I booted everything up I experienced difficulty reading items on the drive in My Documents... soon after the drive vanished all together.
    I can find mention of the WD7500 by doing the following...

I go to Control Panel , click Add Hardware
    Click "Yes I have already connected the hardware" and "Next"
    WD7500AA is visible in the list
    I click "Next" and the Wizard says " Here is the current status of the device you selected " and under that "The device you selected is working properly "
    After that I click "Finish"
    ... I have done this many times over a month and the device does not show up .

I have also used the "Device Manager " and found the WD7500 listed under "Disk Drives "
    I have tried right clicking on it and " Install Driver " and " Uninstall Driver " to no avail.

If I click "Properties" and then the "Volumes" tab followed by " Populate" the Status is listed as " Unreadable "... this is obviously a bad sign, does it indicate an action can be taken to make the WD7500 readable?

I have tried connecting the WD7500 to another laptop and had exactly the same situation so I doubt it's the computer trying to receive information which is the problem.

HELP... please !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ping not recognized as internal or external command [ 9 Answers ]

When running cmd C:\Documents and Settings\... \ping I get the following error 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command. Please help me solve my problem Thanks

Straight eyelashes and no visible lids [ 3 Answers ]

We are of latin descent and my daughter has almost Asian features. She has stick straight lashes and no real visible eyelids when her eyes are open. She would like to know how to apply makeup properly for this eye shape and even though she has tried eyelash curlers (even heating them up first),...

Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive [ 44 Answers ]

I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long. 1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this? 2. Would doing other things on the...

Reply not visible in outlook XP [ 7 Answers ]

When somebody is sending a reply, I only see my message. Not the answer Of the person that replied to me. I'm the only person in the office that Has that problem. So I suppose it's only on my computer that I have to Change something in outlook. But I don't what it can be.

Headings Not Visible in Outlook Address Book [ 3 Answers ]

I have been gradually switching over my names & business contacts to Outlook Express. The list is expanded to include a lot more info like Bus Name address phone fax etc. When I am finished I cannot view the business name etc. All I see are Surname, First Name email and phone numbers. ...

View more questions Search