Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemays75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 11:21 PM
    I was diagnosed with diabetes with an a1c of 6.2 should I be on medication
    I was diagnosed with diabetes during a hospital stay. My A1C level was 6.2.The hospital doctor provided me with educational materials, but did not prescribe any medication, nor did he suggest that I monitor my sugar daily. I am wondering should I be monitoring and taking meds or is it not that serious?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 02:26 AM
    Hi, chemays75!

If you want the most accurate and official opinion, then it would be best to be speaking to the doctor again, or even getting a second opinion from another doctor. It's possible that some people here might have been or are in a similar situation as you, but they can't give you any opinion the same way that a doctor can who knows much more about you and is licensed to give you the facts that you need to know.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 04:41 AM

I hate putting all the eggs into the basket of h1ac.

I believe monitoring is in order. Occaisional full day: fasting before breakfast (80-120 ish), 2 hrs after (<150), before lunch (<150), 2 hrs after (<150), before dinner (<150), 2 hrs after (<150) and bedtime (<150) and when your sick.

This at least every two months. Guideline could be changed by your doctor.

GO SEE AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST! You may need a sick plan.

First plan will probably be treat with Metformin, an insulin sensitizer.

You may need to see a diabetic nutritionalist.

Get a copy of the Glycemic index of foods and restrict or eliminate foods with a high index. e.g. white bread, refined sugar, pizza, ice cream

Don't let it get out of hand. Don't let your PCP initially treat it.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 06:04 AM

Certainly have a follow-up with your own doctor. An a1c is sometimes used to diagnose diabetes, but it depends on the doctor and their view point. However, a 6.2, while above what is considered normal, does not fall into the diabetic range for diagnostic purposes.

You might be what is considered pre-diabetic, or glucose intolerant, in which diet and exercise play a vital role, but only your doctor could make the determination.

Monitoring would probably be a wise thing to do so that you can keep track of your levels over a period and discuss with your doctor a plan to keep your levels in check. Then in another 2 or 3 months, you would likely have another a1c check to compare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagnosed with hyperthyroid [ 3 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid about 6 months ago, and had the iodine radiation treatment in February. For the last couple of months I feel like a different person and my doctor told me that my thyroid is "hypo" now and has given me the Synthroid tabs once a day. Its been 2 months, and still...

What is appropriate A1C level for non-diabetic [ 1 Answers ]

I tested at 6% and the reference range for non-diabetic on this report is 4.6%-6.4%. It was a home test. Should I be concerned?

My brother has just been diagnosed with ADHD [ 3 Answers ]

My father died easter Monday 2006. My brother is 7 and I am 32. I have dealt with my lose because my father and I have had a very disruptive relationship (he left my mum when I was 1). My brother has had my dad with him since he was born. My stepmum has had my brother at the shrink for a couple of...

My son just diagnosed with "diabetes 1".feel very upset [ 12 Answers ]

My 15 yr.old healthy son, was suddenly diagnosed with Diabetes 1. I have spent the past 11 days in the hospital with him, and I am feeling very overwhelmed, very shocked, sad, anxious and upset. This happened very suddenly. He was losing weight very fast, every day I noticed that he was looking...

RSD-- my 12 yr old sister was just diagnosed [ 3 Answers ]

My little sister was diagnosed with RSD a few weeks ago. She had been in severe pain for over a month and could not walk because the pain was so bad. It started with just a spot in her leg and within a week or two it spread from her foot to the top of her hip. She went to doctor after doctor and...

View more questions Search