Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 12, 2009, 05:17 AM
    MACBOOK passwords
    I have a macbook... was windering how I could put a password protection on certain folders... and also for each time my computer turns on.. any help?
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Aug 17, 2009, 09:15 PM

Filevault will encrypt the contents of your user folder to protect your data in the event your laptop is lost or stolen, and is part of the OS. Setting passwords on individual folders is not an easy task though it can be done from the command line. The problem is that any access of data in that folder will be blocked unless the folder is unlocked. So a photo embedded in a document may not appear or the application may not launch if the folder is locked. Also locking the document's folder would cause MS Office not to operate properly because of the files related to your personal settings and preferences stored in the Documents folder.
    Using the require password to wake or exit the screen saver option is a much better solution. You can set a "Hot Corner to activate the screen saver quickly.
    Also having mutable user accounts would enable you to allow others to use your MacBook with out giving them access to your files.
    happy.face Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 10:22 AM

cmeeks,

Do you know the command line ?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 03:11 PM

happy.face, please pay attention to the dates on the threads -- this is the third old one you've dragged up that I've seen thus far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MACBook how do you. [ 5 Answers ]

Open another Safari window without having to put the curser on the icon and press CTRL-Enter. I know there's another easier way because it happened once on error but I have no idea how. Thanks

Installing Windows XP on my macbook [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I purchased my macbook about a year ago. It's run using 10.4 Tiger I believe (the previous version of Leopard). I want to install Windows XP on my macbook (it's intel processed) but need the bootcamp. The apple website directs me to the page of OSX Leopard and I'm guessing I have to...

Apple MacBook [ 4 Answers ]

I have an Apple MacBook for over a year now. People say there's so much you can do on them and how great they are. I basically know how to open Safari, iPhoto, my AOL, and AIM... anyone know of any program built into the MacBook that I'm missing out on that I should check out??

Can you use at&t wi-fi for you macbook. [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to make sure if you have to get a special wi-fi from apple or can you use any other wi-fi like at&t.:) :p :cool:

View more questions Search