Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marcia123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now
    We currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. We also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. Since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. When our other dog was alive they went outside together and this dog just followed and learned from the other, but since gone it's like he does not know what to do anymore. I have tried to go outside with him, play with him, run with him and he just stands there looking at me. It is really frustrating and I'm not sure what to do anymore.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 12:58 PM

It's common for dogs to feel a depression after losing a play mate and friend.

Sudden changes in your home can revert your dog back to an unwanted behavior. You may have to start from basics again, as soon as your pup eats or drinks, take him out right away And wait for him to do his business. Reward with lots of praise, you could even offer a small treat at the beginning.

Are you crating while you are away? Does he mess in the house only while you are away, or while you are at home as well?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia123 View Post
    we currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. we also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. when our other dog was alive they went outside together and this dog just followed and learned from the other, but since gone it's like he does not know what to do anymore. I have tried to go outside with him, play with him, run with him and he just stands there looking at me. It is really frustrating and I'm not sure what to do anymore.

How long ago did you lose your dog? I've always had 2 or 3 dogs and when one died sometimes the survivor suffered for a very long time. A lot depends on who the leader was - and it appears it was the older dog, although that is not always the case.

He's mourning and grieving and he doesn't understand.

I'd keep his life as normal as possible - and I realize you are grieving, too - and not make a big deal out of his "mistakes" in the house. I'd clean them up and go on about my business. I know it's frustrating and upsetting but he is just having a very difficult time of things. At some point he will accept that his friend is gone. Hopefully at some point he will revert back to his normal personality - but it could take a while.

Have you thought about getting a second dog? It sounds like you have more than enough love to go around and you could save a dog that otherwise wouldn't have a chance.

I've lost dogs slowly and I've lost dogs quickly and there is no good way/bad way. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how badly it hurts.
    Marcia123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks, so much for your information, he used to be crated all the time when we were out, but he never had to after that puppy stage left. He still loves his crate and will quite frequently go into it just to sleep. Our dog died just over a month ago. The dog that died was definitely the leader, she was the older wise one... lol We have been keeping his life as normal as possible and even taking him for more care rides with us and just praising him more when he does something good. He is even pooping and peeing in the house when I'm home. Our kids really want another dog right away, but it's just too soon. The dog that just passed was more my husbands dog and he has taken this very hard and he is definitely not ready for another dog just yet, we initially rescued her from the humane society when she was only a pup. When we do ever get another dog, we will consider that route again. I guess we will probably have no choice but to retrain him. Thank you so much for your help :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia123 View Post
    Thanks, so much for your information, he used to be crated all the time when we were out, but he never had to after that puppy stage left. He still loves his crate and will quite frequently go into it just to sleep. Our dog died just over a month ago. The dog that died was definately the leader, she was the older wise one.... lol We have been keeping his life as normal as possible and even taking him for more care rides with us and just praising him more when he does something good. He is even pooping and peeing in the house when i'm home. Our kids really want another dog right away, but it's just too soon. The dog that just passed was more my husbands dog and he has taken this very hard and he is definately not ready for another dog just yet, we initially rescued her from the humane society when she was only a pup. When we do ever get another dog, we will consider that route again. I guess we will probably have no choice but to retrain him. Thank you so much for your help :)

Please stay in touch and let us know how it's working out - your poor family, including the dog.

I learned a long time ago that if you are a dog lover and one dies, another suddenly and unexpectedly pops into your life.
    bolugo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 09:16 PM
    My dog is doing the same thing now :( We lost our dog just the past Saturday and he has been peeing and pooping in the house. Did you figure anything out?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 09:52 PM

Bolugo, start your own thread, and we can help you better :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my dog suddenly peeing and pooping in the house? [ 8 Answers ]

My dog Cheyenne is a Yorkshire Terrier she is the Silky Yorkie. She is about 2 years old and never used to have this problem with peeing and pooping in the house. I'm worried, I don't know why she stopped going outside. When I put her outside, she goes but then she goes MORE inside! Nothing changed...

12 why.o. Dog started peeing&pooping in house [ 7 Answers ]

Help! Please I am desperate and so is my dog... My parents (60years old) had a bichon su for 12 years until my mom passed away. Now my husband and I and 2 kids took the dog in. He came from across the country, and my father drove him across to come live with us. She was a very good dog, but...

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

Avoid my dog peeing and pooping in the house. [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is 8-9 months older (MALE).He is very active and friendly with us the only problem is he is peeing and pooping in house and is making dirty so " How can i avoid this and how can i teach my dog to peep and poop outside the house by obeying my order?" .So please send me the answer for the...

Why is my dog pooping and peeing in the house all of a sudden? [ 9 Answers ]

After 6 years my male, fixed, brittany spaniel has never had an accident, even as a puppy. This past weekend we had went away, leaving him alone. He has free access to the house with a doggy door he knows how to use and has always used. He has been left alone many times before, but this time we...

View more questions Search