Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SugaMomma67 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Air conditioner fan blades not moving
    I just arrived to a 90 degree home after replacing the capacitor in the outside unit. The compressor outside and the inside unit is working but no cool air is coming through... HELP!!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 05:49 PM

Sounds like you are low on freon, or the compressor outside is still not working right. Do you hear a humming coming from the outdoor unit? Or is the fan just spinning?

May 31, 2009, 07:09 PM

Actually, when I turn the system on, the compressor outside comes on as if it is working, but the fan blades are not turning.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:23 AM

Then you may have a bad fan motor if you have already replaced the capasitor.

Jun 2, 2009, 12:18 PM

Thank you Joshdta... it was a bad fan motor... I'm sooo much happier. Thanks, again.
    lbullard Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Hey Joshdta my Ac is on it is 85 upstairs... I hear something buzzing on the outdoor unit but the blades are not moving... any thoughts... [email protected]

Aug 9, 2010, 07:02 PM
    :)
    Hoping someone can share about my problem... it is really hot...

Aug 9, 2010, 07:03 PM

HELP HELP... BUZZING sound coming from unit outside sounds like it was to go but no blad is moving...
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lbullard View Post
    HELP HELP....BUZZING sound coming from unit outside sounds like it was to go but no blad is moving...
    First thing possible bad capicitor,
    2nd bad motor if the compressor is running but not the fan/motor

Aug 9, 2010, 08:17 PM

So is there anyway to find out like something I can try... I guess I was thinking if it was the capicitator that I wouldn't hear the buzzing sound... they both sound expensive... anyway I can ask the right questions so I don't get gauged?? Help..
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 08:48 PM

Check this yourself before calling out the man(techs)
    Capicitor, if you buy one yourself is under 40 bucks,
    And yes you will hear the buzzing because what you are hearing is the contactor/relay that is trying to start the motor and compressor
    A capicitor has to be an exact match to the one in unit,sometimes you can look at the top on capicitor and it should be flat,if its popped up/buldged any at all you are lucky to be able and see the culprit
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 08:51 PM

Ibullard

Check this yourself before calling out the man(techs)
    Capicitor, if you buy one yourself is under 40 bucks,
    And yes you will hear the buzzing because what you are hearing is the contactor/relay that is trying to start the motor and compressor
    A capicitor has to be an exact match to the one in unit,sometimes you can look at the top on capicitor and it should be flat,if its popped up/buldged any at all you are lucky to be able and see the culprit

Aug 9, 2010, 09:08 PM

So when I look in and remember I don't know anything... what am I looking for... If I buy it then what I don't know how to put it in.. would I just give it to them... I need details of how to check in the morning it is midnight here.. VA know anyone out this way??
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 09:52 PM

Turn off power and tstat to off
    Short post together with a screwdriver to drain any stored power
    1st remove strap or whatever holds it in
    2nd read the numbers on side,example;;35/5 or 45/5;;50/5,what ever,
    4th,go get one exact match
    5th,look at top you will see the words(fan, herm, c-or com
    6, pull off one wire at a time from old capicitor,put it where it belongs
    Fan to fan, herm to herm,c to c,most units have 2 wires going to c post
    Replace like you found it and turn power back on
    smilezone58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
    My fan blades were not working and I heard a loud humming-like sound over a period before I noticed my fan blades not turning. Replaced the motor and had new fan blades installed in late May 2012 and the system was working.

About a week ago, my house was getting hot with the a/c on. I looked outside and the fan blades were not working. This occurred after a bad storm and after lighting flashed and my phone, FIOS went out temporarily.

Although my circuit breaker box showed everything in the "on" position, I turned off the AC switch and turned it back on. After that, the fan blades were turning and the unit has been working. Today, I was out all day and when I returned, the house was warm (eventhough the a/c was on). I looked outside and the fan blades were not turning. I though I would turn off the a/c switch in the circuit breaker box and turn it on--hoping that would work. It does not.

Is it possible the lightning strike caused a problem in the motor or is something else possibly causing the fan blades/motor to stop working.

Last year (May 2011), a new motor was installed, however the existing fan blades were put back in and were not positioned at the right height. I was told the fan blade assembly was loose and when they stopped working the motor burned out when I didn't turn off the unit (heard a humming noise, yet didn't realize what was occurring and did not turn off the a/c for a while).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd blades [ 3 Answers ]

How do I sharpen my mtd chipper/shredder blades

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

Troy-Bilt Lawn Tractor stops moving, engine/blades still on. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy-Bilt Pony, 17.5hp, 8-Speed, 42" Lawn Tractor. At start of the season, started mowing and after approx. 45 minutes, the mower just stopped moving. I disengaged the blades, tried to change speed, direction, and every time I released the clutch/brake pedal, the engine pulley would...

Turning blades [ 4 Answers ]

My Bolens 20hp mower blades will not disengage fully when handle pulled to appropriate position. They slow but do not stop completely

View more questions Search