Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmolou1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 02:42 PM
    My mother has alzheimers and she lives with my step father, can I take my mother away
    My mother has Alzheimers and lives with my Step Father, He is 87 and growing frailer by the day, He can no longer take care of Her. He refuses to go into assisted living or to let Her go. Do I have the right to go in and force the issue for both of them or just take my Mother?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmolou1 View Post
    My mother has Alzheimers and lives with my Step Father, He is 87 and growing frailer by the day, He can no longer take care of Her. He refuses to go into assisted living or to let Her go. Do I have the right to go in and force the issue for both of them or just take my Mother?
    You must prove both of them as incompetent .They must be declared incompetent .
    If he is legally of sound mind, you can't force him to go anywhere... and probably you can't force your mother,too

See a good elder law attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:02 PM

No you do not, and while something may need to be done, I am not sure taking your mother away from her husband that she loves is the thing to do.

Perhaps force both of them into an assisted living, get them to use a home health care agency or something else

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother passed away recently and our step father does not want to share her assets, [ 4 Answers ]

My siblings and I cared for our sick mother for the past 4 years 24 hours a day, but she recently passed away. We used our own money to pay for gas for travel when we cared for my mom which was several hundred dollars a month for several years and our stepdad would not help us at all, he doesn't...

Can step mother get child support issued from biological mother of step children? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband doesn't want to go after his ex for child support. Can I go after her as the step parent who has been caring for the children for almost five years? The biological mother hasn't seen or talked to the children for about four years now.

My mother is on drugs and my step father is in jail [ 2 Answers ]

:mad:My mother is on drugs and my step father is in jail. My mother just got of the hospital for having a bad trip on PCP,Cocaine, and Marijuana. Now she has informed me that she wants to come get my little brother who I have had in my custody for a year and half. She has had drug problems and...

Father paying child support to mother when daughter lives with dad's grandparents [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I don't know what to do he has a 15 year old daughter who lives with my husband's parents, she been living with them since 1994 when child services gave temporary custody to my husbands mom until the mom felt ready to get custody back. My husband didn't have the custody because he...

Is it legal for a mother to claim taxes when child lives with father [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine has had custody of his son for two years and each tax year he tries to claim son it says the mother already has. How does he fix this and can he get refunded?

View more questions Search