Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Judahgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 07:24 AM
    The cost to replace chinese drywall, wiring, air conditioning in 2500 sq ft house
    I am thinking about buying my dream house at a dream price. The catch, it has chinese drywall, hence the incredible sale price. I have the ability to wait until it all fixed and wanted to know how much it would cost to add onto the sale price of the home. I realize that the drywall, wiring and A/C would all have to be replaced but I think I can do all that depending how much that would cost for a 2500 square feet house..?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 07:32 AM

I don't see any reason why the drywall and AC need to be replaced.

You might want to have the ducts cleaned.

Remember that drywall dust can be deadly to the heater if used.

Figure out about how many sheets are needed and the linear foot of corner moulding.

Ceilings are going to be the hardest and you may have to rent a sheet lift.
    chris101970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 03:24 PM

Current protocol from the CPSC calls for the replacement of wiring, insulation, copper plumbing, all HVAC, and of course the drywall

Obviously to replace the drywall, most other components of the home will have to be removed or replaced. It is a case by case basis on whether you can save cabinets, counters, appliances, etc.

I am a real estate appraiser, flipper, and contractor in the New Orleans area. I can only guess at your particular situation, but when we look at a typical construction draw sheet as it relates to a gutted house, ( I saw literally hundreds after Katrina ) it works out to about 45-55% complete if the exterior is good. Based on typical renovation costs you should expect to spend between $40-60 per SF depending on what you can save and how nice your trim package is. Homes with particularly high construction quality will be more, or you could do this on a budget with some DIY for less.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 5, 2010, 06:43 PM

chris101970 is correct about the damages done by chinese drywall and his numbers right on.

Chemical off-gassing in chinese drywall damages metal plumbing, ductwork, wiring and even metal fasteners.

So the house will basically have to be completely gutted to do the repairs.

That said, consider any new house under construction that is a 'dried-in' shell with roof, siding windows and doors in place and nothing else.

This represents about 40-50% of the total cost to build the house.

So gutting the house to re-do everything from rough-ins to finish should about double the price Judahgirl would now pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioning fan motor cost [ 1 Answers ]

I had a 1/3 hp fan motor replaced on a Goodman 4 Ton unit at 11:30 PM last night replaced. He charged me $130.00 for the service call since it was late at night and $525.00 for the outside fan motor. Is this excessive? It seems awful high. Luba

How much does it cost to replace drywall (sheetrock) and install new insulation? [ 14 Answers ]

I just purchased a raised ranch house and the downstairs is located on ground level & sits on the concrete foundation (there is no basement in the house). I am told that it gets very cold during the winter and I suspect it's because a) I don't think that insulation within the walls are not that...

How much would it cost to replace the drywall in a 2800 sqft house? [ 3 Answers ]

We are thinking about gutting our house. My husband thinks it would be a great idea to rip out all of the walls and ceilings. We have foundation problems, a possible ventilation problems, definite plumbing issues. Would it be better to take down all the drywall, check the plumbing and...

Replace air conditioning compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The compressor has failed on my 1995 Dodge Dakota. I'd like to replace the compressor only, to save on costs. If I replace the compressor without replacing the condenser, will it last a couple of years or is it absolutely imperative that I replace the condenser as well? Thank you!

Cost of heating and air conditioning in condo [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to have a rough estimate of the cost of installing a new heating and air conditioning unit in a 945 sq feet condominium.Can anyone help me on that?

View more questions Search