Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex621 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 03:06 AM
    Why am I finding caterpillars in my garage
    I have 2 caterpillars in my garage and I haven't found any coccoons .where did they come from?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 03:18 AM

This is the time for the migration of the Monarch butterfly and if the caterpillars are orange and black, this is what they are and not necessarily pests. I don't know what part of the world you are in though. They could also be moths.

Either way, the cocoons didn't necessary have to be in your garage, the caterpillars actually cover a large distance.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 08:44 AM

Odds are they were looking to make cocoons in your garage since it's more sheltered than outdoors is. Keep checking to make certain none of their brothers and sisters did make it in.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Odds are they were looking to make cocoons in your garage since it's more sheltered than outdoors is. Keep checking to make certain none of their brothers and sisters did make it in.
    Hi, cats, I wasn't posting because I wanted to give the impression I knew anything about caterpillars. I just think of monarch butterlfies this time year, and if these caterpillars are orange and black I don't think they should be eliminated. They are not a nuisance.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi, cats, I wasnt posting because I wanted to give the impression I knew anything about caterpillars. I just think of monarch butterlfies this time year, and if these caterpillars are orange and black I dont think they should be eliminated. They are not a nuisance.

tick
    Hey, Tick.

That was a good guess. I tried to address the lack of cocoons inside the garage. Monarchs are a distinct possibility as far as I.D. goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiled terrace on garage roof leaking rain in to garage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a concrete block built garage the roof of which acts as a terrace/patio. It is tiled with quarry tiles. Recently, during severe weather, the rain has started to run through the tiles (somehow? The grouting was waterproof and looks OK) and through the joints in the concrete into the...

How to build an interior wall inside garage without removing the garage door [ 5 Answers ]

I want to build a wall inside my 1 car garage, I have flooring down already with those 2ftX 2ft squares with plastic on the bottom and click together wood flooring on top. I can't (because of condo docs) remove the garage door.. but I want to make this into a bedroom. Myidea is to seal the garage...

Caterpillars on tomatoes [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy! I just found big green caterpillars on my tomato plants. Horn worms? I think that's what they're called. My plant is pretty bushy and I've only seen 4, but I can't imagine that being the end of them. They're super tricky to spot since they're obviously camouflaged into the plant and...

How to get rid of eastern tent caterpillars [ 5 Answers ]

My 2 crab trees have eastern tent caterpillars, how do I get rid of them for good? {moved from Forum Help-<>}

From Pouring Garage Pad to Construction of Garage [ 4 Answers ]

How long to you have to wait after pouring the cement garage pad before you can begin construction on the garage?

View more questions Search