Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greciant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Non-Resident Alien Tax on IRA Distribution
    Hi,
    I am a british citizen living in Israel for the last 30 years. (I am an Israeli citizen).
    I have never lived or worked in the United States.
    My father recently passed away in the States, (he was an american citizen).
    My sister and I have been left a small IRA fund. We are the beneficiaries of this fund and the company is now workiing on splitting the fund into two separate accounts (my sister and I)
    We are trying to find out the following with little luck!

1. we understand a distribution has to be taken out yearly, but don't understand how to file with the IRS, if we have to file with the IRS and how much we will be taxed?
    2. I am not sure if this is correct but I understand we have three options;
    a) take yearly distributions
    b) don't take distributions for 5 years and then take out the full amount (how much tax would this include)
    c) take out the money now (how much tax would I have to pay if I don't work there or live there or anything else there)

This is not a very large sum of money but money I really do need now...
    If anyone could give me details of IRS, IRA, Vanguard, Israeli/US tax laws I would be very very appreciative.
    I
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 06:55 AM

The rules for distributions and what is taxable in the US depend on what type of IRA this was. If your father had a traditional IRA - the type that generates taxable income when you take withdrawals - then you have these options:

1. Take the money now. You will pay ordinary income tax on the amount.

2. Roll your portion of your father's IRA account into a new "Inherited IRA" in your name. This may be advantageous if you don't need the money now, as the account can continue to appreciate in value tax-deferred. The timing and amounts of required distributions depend on your father's age at time of death, One option is to start taking an annual distribution by Dec 31 of next year. Or if your father was less than 70-1/2 years old at the time of death you have the option of waiting 5 years at which point the entire amount is distributed to you. If your father was older than 70-1/2, then you must start distributions prior to Dec 31 of next year.

Although you have to pay income tax each year as you receive distributions there is no early witrhdrawal penalty. Based on your statement that you can use the money now, it may be best (and simplest for you long term) to take the money now.

If your father actually had a Roth IRA (as opposed to a traditional IRA) the rules are different. For a Roth IRA if the money in the account has met the 5-year holding period then any distributions you take will be tax-free. As with a traditional IRA, you can take the money now, or roll it to an inherited IRA and take mandatory distributions later.

You might find this information pamphlet helpful. Refer to pages 5 and 9 to see your options for inheriting an IRA:
    http://www.schwab.com/cms/P-1625576....=P-1625576&cv6

I do not know how Israel would treat this income, but my guess (emphasis on "guess") is that you will have to report the income and pay tax on it, but they may give you a credit for foreign taxes paid on it (to the US). I suggest you talk to a tax pro in Israel to understand the implications.
    greciant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks so much, I am going to read through this slowly and reply to you, so thoughtful of you to write back to me, very much appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Excellent post, ebaines!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Resident IRA early distribution [ 12 Answers ]

I am an Irish resident who worked in US in 1990s. I have approx $200k in IRA. I am currently resident in Ireland for 10 years, have no US income and am aged 45 and want to withdraw with minimum taxes. Does anyone have the best method of doing so. What US taxes are payable and what forms need be...

Joint tax return non-alien resident and alien resident with form 1042s [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My wife is an alien resident, but we just got married, so I am still a non-alien resident. We are intending to fill out joint tax return as alien residents. But my problem is I have both w-2 and 1042s forms. The 1042s reflects my income from a fellowship which has been taxed each month. The...

Can a non-resident alien contribute to an ira? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a non-resident alien, who is married to a US citizen, both living overseas, contribute to a traditional IRA?

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

IRA for temporary resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Can a temporary (3-6 yrs. Or so)resident alen (foreigen expatriate) contribute to a traditional IRA or Roth IRA?

View more questions Search