Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasonolson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
    100 amp service, add a subpanel
    I'm going to be finishing my basement and needing to look at my current full 100A panel and expanding it. Currently has the following circuits:
    20A kitchen
    20A kitchen
    40A range
    20A water heater
    15A basement lights
    30A air cond
    15A lights
    15/15A furnace
    15A lights
    20A washing machine
    30A dryer
    60A garage
    Isn't the garage breaker fairly large? There is a welder outlet on 30A breaker however it's currently not used. Just a gas furnace, door opener and outlets)

So with these 12 my panel is full and I'm considering adding a subpanel. I figure the basement lights cct I could put in the breaker to feed the subpanel so I could move all the basement lines to the subpanel.
    However, I'm not familiar enough with what size of breaker I would need to run to the subpanel. The basement finish is going to have 2 BRs (1 legal/other using for storage/closet) a bath and a family/computer room.
    For circuits I figured:
    1 15A for BR1 outlets
    1 15A for BR2 outlets
    1 15A for BR1/BR2 lights
    1 for bath (GFI... size? 20A?)
    1 15A for FR lights
    1 15A for FR outlets
    1 15A dedicated for computer/theater equip

What size panel would I use for the sub and the breaker to feed it?

Thank you.
    Jason
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 03:37 PM

Jason,

You are going at sizing you calculated load backwards.

You start by getting the outside dimensions of the home and then figuring out the sq. footage and then subtracting out any unusable space. Then the complicated calculations start.

I suggest that you contact a licensed electrician and have the calculated load study completed. That way you will know whether you have to increase you service to do the additional basement work.

Also, you would then know the cable size you need to the sub panel in the basement and the correct panel size.

If the existing service is to small, you will cause more problems than you can imagine.

Also, as required in the NEC 2008, you are going to have to place the circuits in the basement on Arc Fault Circuit Breakers.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 06:05 PM

Consider an upgrade to a 200 amp service... expensive, but needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I add a 60 amp GFI (for new hot tub) to my 100 amp service panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a used hot tub. It comes with a 60 amp gfi switch. My home has 100 amp panel. I presently have 5 small pony boxes off the main panel. It is old style glass screw in fuses. House built in '68. Can I just add another pony box rated for 60 amp fuses ? If not, do I then need to rewire...

Can I add a 50amp Hot tub to 100 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

100 amp service 100 amp main. Enough space to add adequate breaker. But need to know if load calculations are within code. Home has 1200 sq ft of living space. 1 30amp electric dryer circuit NOT USED. Gas Dryer, Gas Water Heater. Electric Range on 50 amp breaker. Central air on 40 amp breaker. 6 15...

Can I run a 50 amp subpanel if a 100 amp main if so what size wire [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run a 50 amp subpanel from a 100 amp main and if so what size wire

Maximum subpanel on a 100 amp service [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I have a decent size 2 bedroom house with a 100 amp panel. I want to put a sub panel in my garage that's about 50 feet away from my panel. I was wondering what the maximum sub-panel is that I can put in my garage. I have a small welder and a possible small compressor that I would like to...

Add 100 amp subpanel to 200amppanel [ 1 Answers ]

Wiring diagram for 100 amp 4 feet away 200 amp

View more questions Search