Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunshine62583 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 02:54 PM
    How do I get my 11 month old to sleep through the night?
    My son is almost 11 months old and he still gets up 1-2 times a night. I am trying to get him to sleep through the night, but he wakes up and WANTS to eat. I have tried just waking and rocking him, but he WILL NOT go back to sleep until he has had something to eat. How do I break this?

:)
    Thanks!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
    What does his last meal consist of, before bed? What type of food allows him to get back to sleep?

Sep 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
    He eats regular food for dinner (around 5-6pm), basically whatever my husband and I eat, but just cut up. Then just before bed (9pm) he gets a formula bottle (around 6oz) with rice or oatmeal cereal to thicken. I have been thickening his formula since he was 4 months because he had bad GERD, now I just thicken it before bed & in the middle of the night to keep him fuller, longer. When he wakes at (1am) he gets another 5 or 6 oz of thickened formula again. He usually wakes up around 5-5:30am for another bottle, but I don't thicken this time. He then goes back to bed till around 7-7:30am.?
    redwee74 Posts: 74, Reputation: 11

Sep 21, 2008, 10:10 PM

Sunshine, this sounds harsh but I would feed him more than 6 ozs at 9 and then let him lay there till he goes back to sleep. I mean if he crys for more than 30 to 40 minutes get up but the habit has to be changed. I have a child and it worked for him. Just make sure nothing is wrong with him and let him lay. He is not starving just control him not him controlling you. Sorry if that sounds harsh it really is not just hard to write it with that coming across.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 01:18 AM
    Sunshine, I agree with redwee. This child is old enough to be hungry, growing, at night. He is also old enough to pull your strings.

Letting a baby cry in his crib can make you cry too, but sometimes, that can help him learn to comfort himself.

I'd let him know that you're there with vocal reassurances and gently patting his back every 15-20 minutes. You aren't abandoning him if you attentively allow him to cry.

Some mom's always pick their child up, no matter what. Some moms don't. A child will learn to wait, and to know that just because mom isn't hopping to each whimper, that she isn't responsive.

This is something that, as his mom, you know him. Don't abandon him in his need, but don't allow him to "train" you either.
    carla123 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 02:57 AM
    Just don't let him sleep during the day...

And let the SLEEP MAGIC work on him at nights...

This will eventually become a routine :)
    carla123 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 02:58 AM
    Just don't let him sleep during the day...

And let the SLEEP MAGIC work on him at nights...

This will eventually become a routine :)

Sep 22, 2008, 05:17 AM
    He won't take more than 6 or 7 oz at a time, if he does, he usually vomits. As for leaving him cry, we usually do, but after 30-34 minutes he will cry so hard he vomits again! That's not fun to clean up at 1 am. And as for naps during the day, he usually only takes 1, maybe 2 naps for an hour... but I don't let him sleep after 4.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 10:58 AM
    He'll out-grow it. Extra fat may help. Does he like peanut butter?

Sep 22, 2008, 03:33 PM
    He really hasn't had much peanut butter, but he likes EVERYTHING I feed him... I mean EVERYTHING!
    MommyofRyan Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2010, 05:02 AM
    Babies shouldn't be eating peanut butter yet, shouldn't be until after the age of 2. Maybe even later!
    barbsiem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 01:30 AM
    This sounds just like my 11month old... I feel your pain... we have tried to let her cry but she refuses to give in till she's fed..
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 02:17 AM

You really won't have to , they grow out of it and start sleeping through the night on their own usually at about that age. It is a bother and nobody like to get awakened from sleep from to do chores.

But the baby is hungry and needs food and that is what will quiet them , most of the time.

The baby's body clock will adjust to co inside with yours and the majority of the worlds soon.

I didn't like it when I had to do it. But now my kids are grown... I'd love to be able to hold them like that a few more times.

Be patient , they will be grow all too fast and be gone.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2010, 11:29 AM

You really need to follow what you feel is best. I never did any of this. My daughter slept with me until she was 5.5 and if she woke up hungry I would get her a carrot or a piece of bread or glass of milk. Of course no junk or ice cream or cookies. But something small and healthy.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 30, 2010, 10:16 AM

You could maybe give him more snacks or larger meals during the day.

Also when he wakes during the night instead of giving him more food give him some warm water with a touch of sugar in it, you may find he sleeps right through after you do this for a few nights.

At 11 months he shouldn't really still need a night feed this could cause him to become over weight, because if it's a feed during his normal sleep hours it won't be burned off, and then those calories will turn to fat.

You could try giving him more at breakfast time and other meal times to satisfy his hunger.

If all else fails ask at the baby clinic when you next take him or go to your own doctor, because there could be something missing from his daily routine that is causing him to wake up so often through the night.

All babies are different. So for an accurate diagnosis go to the doctor.

Does he have a dummy/pacifier, if not you could get him one that might help.

Sometimes its just the sucking they need to get them back off to sleep.

Hope this helps...
    nspizz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 04:34 AM
    Hi there, I googled the same question and found yours, just wondering if you had any luck and what worked? My son is going through the same thing right now and everything you explained is exactly what we are going through. Any help would be great!
    airis90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
    My mom secret is a sound machine. If you can't afford one then buy a cd of ocean sounds. It I suppose to mimik the womb. I turned on my sound machine one night and my son magically stopped crying. Make sure to change it up though because they become use to it and the sounds will lose their power. Also while the sounds are working trying working a nightly routine. I can share mine if you like. It seems to work on most nights, and the nights it don't, well I have my sound machine for that. :)
    sinegorb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 02:26 AM
    My 11 month old, a baby girl wakes 5 times on average... so count your blessings... I'm still breastfeeding her at night only and I think it's a comfort thing.. Her dad left us to have an affair when I was pregnant and I do think I have her spoiled so she wakes to be in my bed and likes the comfort... She sometimes doesn't sleep during the day and still wakes 3-6 times. Any suggestions for me??
    Chloe7436 Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Oct 9, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Rock him gently and sing a nice song but make sure there's no chaos or no disturbing noise in your house
    Kimberly0610 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 02:36 PM
    You are totally not alone... My Daughter is 11 months old, And for two month I have been trying to break night feedings she wakes up every 4 hours to eat and does not except a pacifier. She loves her bottle. I have tried the giving her water to drink during night feeding and she does take it she loves water. I have also just let her cry because I know she is okay. She will cry for 30 minutes to hours. I reassure her that I am here, but I am even more tired then I was when getting up with her every 2 hours. She also eats a lot of soild foods and snacks in between feedings and only drinks her 8oz bottle of formula 3 times during the day. (Morning, Nap, Bedtime) I hope soon your little one starts sleeping through the night. Good luck with everything...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I can't sleep through the night! [ 5 Answers ]

I have roughly a 5 weeks until my due date and I can't sleep through the night any more I have extrem disconfert in my knees and legs. And what seems to be insomnea?. I can only sleep for 3 or 4 hours and then I am so uncofertable I wake up and I can't go back to sleep. Its been going on for about...

Can I still need more sleep after 12 hrs a night? [ 3 Answers ]

I have always had trouble sleeping at night. I have trouble switching off. Doesn't seem to make much difference if I am physically or mentally exhausted that day. Sometimes I would feel sick because I am so tired. I look like I haven't slept with dark bags under my eyes. Lately I have been able...

My 2yr old won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

:( Is there anyone that would know how to get my little girl to sleep through the night. We have tried everything that we can think of. She did sleep through the night at one point and time but she hasn't for about 6 months and its getting toward where she wants to just play at night. What can I...

I need sleep at night! [ 9 Answers ]

I live in a small city and there is a dog that lives next door that seems to be lost and forgotten about it cry's when the owners come home as if to be begging for food or attention. I feel bad for the dog But This dog barks all night long since the owners seem to not notice the...

5yo Dog won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5yo Westie/ Shi Tzu Mix. She slept in her crate until about 6 months ago. Since then she comes into my bed at night time. The problem is that she gets out of bed anywhere from 1-10 times during the night. She doesn't have to go potty, she gennerly wants to go into the living room or just...

View more questions Search