Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
    How much beetroot do I need to eat daily?
    I am a 47 year old male with high blood pressure. I want to start eating beets because I heard it helps lower your blood pressure. How much do I need to eat daily. I buy beets in a can and the can is 15ozs in net weight. How much of this can of beets do I need to consume on a daily bases?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 09:56 AM

Are you also first following your doctors instructions, does he have you on blood pressure medication
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 12:51 PM

Beetroot is great stuff!! I mean I had allergies for 20 years, started eating beets bought fresh from the produce section, the problems disappeared immediately.
    I agree with Fr Chuck, ask your doctor before beginning any diet or exercise regimen if you have high blood pressure.
    Back to those beets, most people should be eating 5 servings a day of fruits and vegetables combined. /you should eat a citrus fruit like orange juice every day for the vitamin C, so that leaves up to 4 servings of beets if you feel so inclined. Look at the can labels, they will tell you how many servings are in a can, probably 3.
    Beets contain mainly potassium, symbol is K, which along with sodium and chlorine are electrolytes which regulate your blood pressure and all the fluids in your body. Electrolytes are the stuff found in sports drinks like Gatoraide, potassium is also high in foods like bananas and celery and Swiss chard. Electrolytes are water soluble, so if you overdo it they just get flushed out of the body and down the toilet, as long as you drink plenty of water and don't get dehydrated. Avoid drinks with caffeine like coffee or sodas.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 26, 2010, 05:48 PM

I have read about beetroot juice. That is a natural remedy for high blood pressure. Beetroot juice is expensive and one needs to take one pint of it a day.

I am not sure about using canned beets as a substitute. I could better see using fresh beets.

But you seriously need to check with your doctor before substituting or starting a natural remedy.

Ask about the beets and ask about grapeseed too, while you are at it. Grapeseed is a natural product used to fight high blood pressure. So is Red Rice Yeast.

But ask, ask, ask, your doctor.
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 08:29 AM

Probably no difference between canned or fresh, look at the label to see if it has salt added to the canned product. Beetroot juice, just pour the canned beets into your blender or food processor and turn it on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I eat sandwiches daily thinking it's not fast food, IS IT fast food and is it bad me? [ 6 Answers ]

Lunch is almost always homemade Ham/Turkey and cheese with lettuce, onions, etc sandwiches. The bread I use is the simple sliced sandwich bread(Sara Lee or other). Is it that bad?? I'm 30 and I do plenty of exercise and eat overall healthy

How many calories should you eat daily? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm on a diet and I was on a 300 calorie diet and that was wayy to low... so I was wondering I want to lose up to 50 pounds... what should be my calorie intake for a day... also what should I eat... I go to the gym about 3 times a week I'm trying to go more though.

I eat sugar and lose wieght, eat healthy and gain? [ 2 Answers ]

OK don't tll me its not possible because rest assure you its happening to me. I live with my boyfriend. Were young and money is tight... very tight. Sometimes we can afford to go major food shopping sumetimes we cant. We always have food but sometimes its more of junk food. Now I have a HUGE...

Soft foods the doctor has told my dad to eat, but what exactly can he eat! [ 1 Answers ]

My dad has had a heart attack and now is fearful of what he can eat because it was indirectly related to stomach pains he is having. The question is: What is a exact list of some good things for him to eat? I am fearful he will not eat anything, or much less, because he is fearful too! ...

18 months baby, has acid reflux so only eat liquid ( how much she should eat) [ 1 Answers ]

My baby has acid reflux since 3 months and anytime I give her finger or soft food she throw up before it goes in. so I only give her liquid food like first stage food. :( But I want to know if she is taking enough? She is 24LB and 30inch tall - 18months old She eat 24 oz soy milk only 6oz of...

View more questions Search