Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikiangela Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 09:35 AM
    Why can some people have unprotected sex and not get pregnant, while others do?
    Hey! Okay, well my boyfriend and I have been dating for 7 months now. And we have had both unprotected and protected sex (as in condoms not birth control). We have had unprotected sex countless of times, and my question is how is it that I have had unprotected so many times and not become pregnant, while some girls can have unprotected just once and BAM! They're pregnant!

And before you lecture me for having unprotected, I am going on birth control soon! And also, my boyfriend and I are VERY careful. We aren't trying to have a baby right now... but I'm just kind of shocked that I've not been pregnant yet by our stupidity to not use some sort of conception every time!

I hear a lot that there is no sperm in precum but that sperm can be left over and can be flushed out by precum, so he always urinates before and also we do oral.. but still I'm shocked because there have been times when he'd have to pull out and a squirt of seamen would come out and then we'd carry on.

Have I just been very lucky? Or is there something to the whole no sperm in precum thing?
    THANK YOU!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:39 AM

How are you and your boyfriend "VERY careful" when you have unprotected sex?

Yes, you've been very, very lucky. There IS sperm in precum.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:40 AM

You are lucky. Apparently you haven't been having intercourse during your ovulation.

Also, there IS sperm in pre-ejaculation.
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:40 AM

How old are the two of you?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 09:45 AM

Op is 17.

To the op,from your other threads it would seem you have had a pregnancy scare.

Yes it would seem you have been 'lucky' however,if you continue having sex with no protection that luck will quickly run out.
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:48 AM

Since the OP is 17, this thread has been moved out of Adult Sexuality (where the age limit is 18) to Pregnancy and New Motherhood.

Jul 22, 2010, 09:56 AM

Actually I'm 18. I just had my birthday in May. That's why I made the thread in Adult Sexuality. And we are both 18. And yes, I have had 'scares' but it was more of me being paranoid because I had unprotected. We've really only had 1 accident.. and that was with a condom. And like I said, I am going on birth control. But I am so confused on when ovulation is. I have irregular periods so that doesn't help. And I can tell you I have had sex a couple days to a week or 2 before my period, and a couple days to a week or 2 after my period, and I've had sex during my period so I've had it basically anytime.. I would've thought I would've had it while I was ovulating?

But from what I gather, I ovulate from 2 weeks before my period to a couple days up to my period? That's when I get discharge, at least.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikiangela View Post
    Actually I'm 18. I just had my birthday in May. That's why I made the thread in Adult Sexuality. And we are both 18. And yes, I have had 'scares' but it was more of me being paranoid because I had unprotected. We've really only had 1 accident..and that was with a condom. And like I said, I am going on birth control. But I am so confused on when ovulation is. I have irregular periods so that doesn't help. And I can tell you I have had sex a couple days to a week or 2 before my period, and a couple days to a week or 2 after my period, and i've had sex during my period so i've had it basically anytime..i would've thought I would've had it while I was ovulating?

But from what i gather, i ovulate from 2 weeks before my period to a couple days up to my period? That's when I get discharge, atleast.

I thought you said you were NOT trying for a baby? You must be if you're having sex at all times. Sperm is microscopic, so its best to assume that if you're having sex, you will not be able to pull out - even he may release sperm and not be aware of it.

Conception is all about conditions and timing. If all the factors are present, the woman is pregnant. Each couple, each encounter brings a different chance of pregnancy.

If your periods are irregular, that means your ovulation is a bit unpredictable. There's also a possibility that your boyfriend has fertility issues.

If you're "not" trying, you better get birth control before having sex again, not just "soon."
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikiangela View Post
    Actually I'm 18. I just had my birthday in May. That's why I made the thread in Adult Sexuality. And we are both 18. And yes, I have had 'scares' but it was more of me being paranoid because I had unprotected. We've really only had 1 accident..and that was with a condom. And like I said, I am going on birth control. But I am so confused on when ovulation is. I have irregular periods so that doesn't help. And I can tell you I have had sex a couple days to a week or 2 before my period, and a couple days to a week or 2 after my period, and i've had sex during my period so i've had it basically anytime..i would've thought I would've had it while I was ovulating?

But from what i gather, i ovulate from 2 weeks before my period to a couple days up to my period? That's when I get discharge, atleast.
    The withdrawal method has to be used very carefully... once he has already ejaculated, going back inside you is one of the more common reasons it doesn't work well for some. This is one of the biggest mistakes couples make when using withdrawal, thinking the sperm are already gone. This is just one reason why it is not a very reliable method of birth control for many couples.

With irregular cycles, you won't be able to use the counting of days to determine your likely fertile days very well. By going on birth control pills, your cycles may become more regular. Using the change in discharge can give you an idea, but remember that this only lets you know your body is preparing for ovulation... not that you actually are ovulating. It is not uncommon to have irregular cycles, and thus irregular ovulation during the teen years.

So far, you may have just been lucky. Some of the sex has been protected. Those times that were unprotected just may not have been when you were ovulating and since the egg will only be viable for a very short time each cycle, it is easier NOT to become pregnant than it is to become pregnant. Even if a few times were during ovulation, there is more to becoming pregnant than just timing. This is partly why it can take some couples a year or more even when they are trying to become pregnant.

Some people are naturally more fertile than others... some get lucky, or unlucky depending on how you look at it, and become pregnant very quickly.

Do use some sort of protection every time you have sex if you do not want to become pregnant. It is too important to leave to chance. Although no contraceptive is 100% fool proof, it will at least give you better odds of not getting pregnant.

Jul 24, 2010, 07:43 PM

Thank you so much for that Doula! That was very informative! And I have discovered that.. That after the guy has ejaculated, to go again would be very risky. That is why my boyfriend usually pees if we decide to go again.

But, thing is, I have done that. Where he has already ejaculated and then we've gone again right after, no peeing, or oral.. so any sperm left over probably went into me, and I've done that 3x in a row once, and I was fine..

I just thought that if he peed and I did oral that would clear our any of the leftover sperm from the last ejaculation and then we'd be good to go. But, I always think about other couples who are doing the same thing, except she gets knocked up.

I know it's the dumbest thing to do, but I just wonder if its just because we're more careful than other couples who use this method, or if I'm just lucky.

Oh and, we used protection.. but more often we didn't use protection so I could've ovulated while we did unprotected a couple times.

And what other factors are needed besides timing? And I wondered, my boyfriend's ejaculation is always very, very clear, it almost looks like water.. but very rarely.. id say 2 or 3 times before out of the many times, it's been thick and white. Why is that?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 08:29 PM

You've been lucky.

I have a friend that was on the pill, using a condom, only has one ovary, and has polycystic ovarian disease, and she became pregnant.

In other words, if you have sex, there's a risk of pregnancy. You can lower the risks by practicing safe sex, use protection, always, but there's no form of birth control that's 100% effective.

Why do some people have unprotected sex and not get pregnant? They're either really lucky, or really unlucky, depending on what they're hoping for.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 08:31 PM

Just plain lucky, consider throwing 4 quarters in the air, how many times will they all be heads, will it happen the first time or the 20th time ?

It has to do with time of the month, amount of sperm ( increase odds) although just one is needed..
    isidrososa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 08:33 PM
    Hey this is so intresting I'm a guy and the same situation with me and my girlfriend, it makes me wonder if maybe I can't have kids or she can't or maybe were just lucky. Were not really aiming for the baby right now but that's a thought that sort of bothers me since you hear from all around if you have unprotected sex like bam she's pregnant.
    ryhcherb Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 1, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Honestly; Withdrawl method has a 4% failure rate if done correctly... Withdrawl does work; especially if your boyfriend has urinated and cleaned his penis off before the next sexual episode. A lot of these people on this forum don't have their facts straight, but truth is, is that both you guys are careful, and know what you're doing; therefore minimizing the risks of pregnancy immensly is achieved... That's the whole purpose of Ejaculation; to push the sperm as close to Cervix as possible, but if there is no Ejaculation inside the Vagina; there could be no pregnancy. Sperm would have to find its' way to the vaginal opening, and then "swim" to the egg if there is a egg waiting. Highly improbable, but can happen, but once agiaan, highly improbable.. Condoms have a 2% failure rate, so what does say about Withdrwal if done properly? But some these people had a point, luck runs out sometimes. Many guys began coming and shot small amounts of sperm in their partner, and then lied about it, making their female partners believe that they did not "Come" when they accidentally shot some spermies in there. The first few drops are the most concentrated with up to 200million sperm in them. No sperm, no egg, no pregnancy. Can't have one without the other.. Kudus for practicing the withdrawl method correctly, but always be careful for STI's and STD's can be ransmitted very easily.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 1, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ryhcherb View Post
    Honestly; Withdrawl method has a 4% failure rate if done correctly... Withdrawl does work; especially if your boyfriend has urinated and cleaned his penis off before the next sexual episode. A lot of these people on this forum don't have their facts straight, but truth is, is that both you guys are careful, and know what you're doing; therefore minimizing the risks of pregnancy immensly is achieved... That's the whole purpose of Ejaculation; to push the sperm as close to Cervix as possible, but if there is no Ejaculation inside the Vagina; there could be no pregnancy. Sperm would have to find its' way to the vaginal opening, and then "swim" to the egg if there is a egg waiting. Highly improbable, but can happen, but once agiaan, highly improbable.. Condoms have a 2% failure rate, so what does say about Withdrwal if done properly? But some these people had a point, luck runs out sometimes. Many guys began coming and shot small amounts of sperm in their partner, and then lied about it, making their female partners believe that they did not "Come" when they accidentally shot some spermies in there. The first few drops are the most concentrated with up to 200million sperm in them. No sperm, no egg, no pregnancy. can't have one without the other.. Kudus for practicing the withdrawl method correctly, but always be careful for STI's and STD's can be ransmitted very easily.
    I'd like to see studies showing where you got your info, and not something you found on the internet, but an actual reputable article with stats showing where you got your percentage rates, and showing what tests they did, the number of population they tested, the ages of the people that were in the study, etc. etc. Otherwise you're just pulling numbers out of your arse.

There is plenty of sperm in pre-ejaculate to get you pregnant, so please, tell me how the withdrawal method only has a 4% failure rate? But, let's say that your numbers are correct (which they're not, but for arguments sake we'll say you're dead on). I have to ask you, and the OP, and anyone else using the withdrawal method, if someone handed you a gun and said "there's only a 4% chance you'll get shot", would you pull the trigger?
    butterfly_23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
    I have the same question as well.. I have a lot of friends that have told me that they've had unprotected sex, and well they haven't gotten pregnant. Unlike another of my friend have had unprotected sex, and bam... she got pregnant. I usually always use protection. Or he pulls out. But lately we have had unprotected sex, right after my period. How can I find out what day I can pregnant after my period? I'm not looking for a family right now, but I never really understood how the whole having sex after period works. Can someone explain? Like, after your period what days should you defidently not have sex after your period? How many days?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 8, 2012, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly_23 View Post
    i have the same question as well.. i have a lot of friends that have told me that theyve had unprotected sex, and well they havnt gotten pregnant. unlike another of my friend have had unprotected sex, and bam... she got preggo. i usually always use protection. or he pulls out. but lately we have had unprotected sex, right after my period. how can i find out what day i can pregnant after my period? im not looking for a family right now, but i never really understood how the whole haveing sex after period works. can someone explain?? like, after ur period what days should u defidently not have sex after ur period? how many days?
    Hi butterfly_23,

The rough guide is that you will ovulate about 12-16 days before your next period. Many women will follow this norm. There is a range of what is considered average as to the length of a menstrual cycle (from first day of one period to the day before the next one begins), but 28 days is considered the standard and this is where you will hear 14 days after your period is when you are most likely to ovulate. This is also why often the week or two after a period tends to be the time frame when many women are most fertile.

However, not everyone follows that pattern. Some women will ovulate sooner, some later. Most will follow the same pattern, however, that is the norm for them. For example, if you tend to ovulate on day 11 of your cycle, you will most likely continue to do so, although having an off ovulation is possible. This is why no time of the month is 100% safe... just that some of far more likely and some far less likely for a pregnancy to occur.

Your body prepares to release an egg (ovulation) usually the same time each cycle. Along with this preparation is the lining of the uterus being built up in anticipation of a pregnancy. If pregnancy occurs, you have no period. If no pregnancy, your body sheds the lining of the uterus that was built up in preparation for a possible pregnancy. After your period, the uterus will start the process all over again of building a lining in hopes that when ovulation occurs again, an egg will be fertilized and the fertilized egg will implant. No pregnancy, then the lining sheds again, and so on.

You can try different ways of figuring out when you are most likely to ovulate. Some women will use temping and charting, or basal body temperature for several months to see a pattern as to when they have likely ovulated. Some women will notice a change in the consistency of their cervical mucus which changes throughout the menstrual cycle. In the few days leading up to ovulation, it often becomes more fluid and clear. This is what helps sperm to survive for a few days otherwise they die off fairly quickly. The use of ovulation predictor tests are another way to see when your body is preparing for ovulation.

Timing is only part of what is needed for pregnancy to occur. Other variables need to be in place as well and this is why it can take some couple quite a long time to become pregnant even when they believe that they have the timing aspect down. Others find everything happened to fall into place the first time they had sex... which really isn't the norm.

The withdrawal method can work for some couples, but it does take good control, and both partners knowing their bodies well. It is often misused however, and this is partly why it is not usually the best option for many couples if other options are available. It is not considered one of the best options, but it is considered better than some only if used properly, which again, isn't often done.

If you are not wanting to start a family yet, and with not knowing your body well, best to use another form of birth control.
    lizeth_galarza Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Same thing has happened with me and my boyfriend we want a bby so bad and we don't use protection. Wen I meet him iwas a virgen and we done it iwas scared cause I didn't bleed??
    louise1928 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Jul 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
    You or your boyfriend may be infertile (you can't have kids) you should get it checked out. Also if your having sex and not trying I suggest you go to your local GP and discuss the best protection method for you.
    brittanybreen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
    Hey okay, well me an my boyfriend have been having unprotected sex since augest 11th last year, we have had unprotected sex this whole time an I haven't gotten pregnant.. I am 19 years of age an he's 21, he's told me he's had two kids before with his baby mama, for ever ago.. I have never been on birth control either, an I am really worried that something is wrong with me.. please help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unprotected sex. Am I pregnant [ 7 Answers ]

I and my boyfriend had unprotected sex this month through out... My periods have been delayed by 2 days... I have the usual stomach ache and cramps... but no sign of blood... am I pregnant?? How much delay in periods is considered normal... what measures should I take right now so that I don't...

I can't get pregnant after 3 years of unprotected sex [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been trying to have a baby for three years now. We have never used a condom or birth control. And yet I am still not pregnant. We don't know which one of us is responsible for the infertility. Any help would be appreciated

Am I capable of getting pregnant? I have been having unprotected sex for 4+ yrs now! [ 1 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for almost 6 yrs now and for 4+ yrs we have been having unprotected sex and never once have I been pregnant! Is there a problem, can we have kids?

Scared.unprotected sex.pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex a few days before my period was due... he did "come" inside me... I am really nervous I usually have a normal cycle and won't know until tomorrow if I do get it or not... but could I still get pregnant? And could I still get my period and be pregnant? I really...

View more questions Search