Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xzimppledink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Upper front tooth broke off slightly below gum line, can I get a root canal?
    I knew it wouldn't last long the last time I had it filled but was hoping it would last until I could save up for an implant, it didn't. It' broke slightly below the gum line. I still can not afford an implant but it's hard to talk and eat now. I need something to last for a year or so. I'm wondering if a root canal is possible?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 02:45 PM
    A root canal may be possible but it won't replace the part that has broken off. You might be able to have what is called a flipper made which is a partial denture made of plastic with just the one tooth on it. This is often used as a temporary measure when placing implants at the front of the mouth.
    Ideally, if you could swing it, have the root that is remaining removed and the implant placed immediately. This will prevent the bone from resorbing in that area. You will still need a flipper for appearance.
    xzimppledink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 05:55 PM

Thank you for your reply. I don't quite understand. You say "it won't replace the part of the tooth that is broken off. The whole tooth is broken off except for the root. Could a crown be made and placed on the post in the root canal? I got several implants while I was working but now that we're retired it's a budget buster. Thanks in advance.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 03:55 AM
    There is a possibility that a post could be placed to help support a crown. As you know, a root canal would have to be done first. It would depend on the condition of the root, how far below the gum the tooth has broken, etc. It's best to have an x-ray and let the dentist give you his/her opinion. It might not hurt to ask for a copy of the x-ray and take it for a second and third opinion before you decide what to do.
    stony1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 07:45 AM
    First tooth right of the main two front teeth has been repaired a few times. Three pins were inserted a few years ago and after having radiation for nose cancer the tooth had to be repaired once more. Due to some infection at the root area a root canal was to be performed but before it could be done the tooth broke off inside the gum line. The tooth and nerve are dead. I am told that because of my cancer a replacement tooth cannot be anchored. My question is " what can be done to replace this tooth" All my other teeth are in good shape. I am fortunate that there is no pain involved, all I need is a return to chewing food normally.
    Thank You
    smittyboy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Get it pulled
    melinda1978 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
    You can always have the tooth pulled (whats left of it ) and get a bridge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain when pressing on gum after root canal [ 8 Answers ]

I have a sharp pain in upper gum area above the tooth that was recently root canaled. The pain is always present when pressure is applied to that gum area or on the area between the lip and nose when pressed against the gum area. I have had 2 rounds of anti-biotics. I have had 3 sets of x-rays in a...

Do you have to have root canal to get crown for a broken front tooth ? [ 9 Answers ]

Is a root canal always necessary when you break a tooth off and need a crown ?

Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability...

View more questions Search