Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdpham03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
    How to test a ignition coil on 1998 toyota camry
    I have a 1998 toyota cammry 2.2 or 4 cylinders and have two separate ignition coils. One plugs in #1 & #4 cylinders the other ones go to #2 & #3 cylinders. The car died out on me while I was driving. I checked the spark plugs and only cylinders #1 & 3 have a sparks. Could it be both ignition coils are defect? Need help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 07:10 PM

Bench testing coils is unreliable, since you cannot simulate the heat which causes them to breakdown in operation. Kitch428, our Toyota trained expert, has said a number of times that aftermarket coils for Toyotas don't hold up well, if you are inclined to replace them. He will likely see your posting soon and give you his thoughts. I recommend replacing coils every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

I would suspect the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP), not the coils, since each coil pack is able to fire at least one plug. It appears, to me, to have more to do with control; hence, CKP or ECM. Have you checked for codes? This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 09:18 PM
    This should help him out and get started.
    ignition.pdf
    Toolpro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 06:58 AM
    Great post. Thanks for test flow chart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 toyota camry cooling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Neither of my cooling fans are coming on. There is no voltage to them and it is 100 degrees outside. How can I check the sensors to see if they are functioning properly?

Toyota camry 1998 cranks but no start.. no spark [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a camry with a blown engine... whole in the block. Car still started, replaced the motor block with another one as well as the crankshaft and motor head. Put everything together and now the engine will not start.. replaced coils.. still have no spark.. have verified the timming like 12 times...

1998 toyota camry radiator fan not working [ 1 Answers ]

I had an accident & had to replace the radiator and the fans. The fans don't work, I replace the relay that are in the fuse box label Fan 1,2,& 3. What else could the problem? Is there another fuse that I am missing? Thanks

View more questions Search