Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    COOKIE MONSTER Posts: 589, Reputation: 56

Apr 14, 2008, 06:21 PM
    What problems can a bad tooth cause?
    If a bad tooth is left untouched by a dentist what could happen?

What problems can it cause?

I keep it clean and brush my teeth several times a day and use listeriene it doesn't really give me any trouble maybe 4 or 5 times I've not got abses or anything like that
    I hate dentist and I know I'm not on my own but I mean I freak out start shaking and heart pounds in my chest till I feel sick. I've made an appointment to get referred to the hospital to get it taken out was just wondering if it could be making me ill I've had several serious chest infections and cold after cold after cold and other things. Could a bad tooth cause anything else?? Head aches migraines,neck ache
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
    A bad tooth can cause every single health problem you cited above in your post and some more. I know when I have a tooth problem I can have shooting pain down the side of my neck into my shoulder and into my back as obviously the nerve has been touched somewhere. I've had headaches from hell due to a bad tooth. I've had my neck swell up, sinus problems galore, chest infections and numerous colds. Basically your mouth is the gateway for all kinds of nasty germs to get into your body. Please don't be so resistant to having it taken out or going to the dentist. Bad teeth can also cause infections to go into your brain (yeah, no kidding) and lodge into your heart (yeah, no kidding). Your whole body will be relieved of this unnecessary exposure to infection once the tooth is removed. Please have it removed and you'll feel a lot better, trust me, I know from experience once the offending tooth is out you will feel like a new person.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 06:40 PM
    A bad teeth can cause problems because it can send bacteria through your body.
    Even if your teeth are clean the rotting part of the tooth still can cause you problems.
    They say it can cause heart problems and some fibromyalgia type symptoms
    I know when I was younger my bad teeth made me feel really weak.
    I never had shooting pains but it may be possible.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 06:57 PM
    The above posts are absolutely accurate. You can run into more health issues than you'd ever think, even death if the tooth is allowed to get badly infected.

The longer you leave it untreated the more difficult your visit to the dentist will be. It's much easier to deal with things when you aren't in pain.
    COOKIE MONSTER Posts: 589, Reputation: 56

Apr 14, 2008, 06:57 PM
    So me feeling like c**p for ages could be down to a bad tooth hope so because nothing has turned up in bloods or urine test or anything

And do you know what caused me to get a bad tooth?

Getting my tongue pieced I kept biting the ball while I was sleeping and I must have bitten to hard one night and the middle fell out eating a drum stick lolly,then to make things even better I went to the dentist straight away when it had fallen out and she wouldn't fill it for me then I got pregnant and couldn't get put to sleep to get it taken out and I had the worst morning sickness 24 hours a day any food,parfume smoke,car fumes set me off so that didn't help either
    Thank you both I've got appointment on the 13th of may ages away then it'll be a few weeks after that before I get appointment to get it taken out at the hospital
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Yes, if you have an infection in a tooth it will run through your whole body and can make you feel very run down. You may want them to give you a good cleaning while you are under the anasethetic to be sure there is no infection due to gum disease running through your body as well.
    nikkibentley200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
    I had a bad abcess about 5 years ago and I never gotten it taken care of and when I had my little girl I got 4 more really bad teeth from not taking my vitamins now I never even dreamed of teeth making someone so I thought I was dying because I'm so weak I went to dentist yesterday and found out that I have infections on both sides of my mouth I was wondering why I was always having sinus problems because I use to be sooooo healthy now I even have heart paltations this is all from my teeth I'm glad I know I due to have 7 removed that's with wisdom and from now on I WILL TAKE CARE OF MY TEETH IM SCARED to death to have this done but id rather not be sick all the time its going to cost a pretty penny but its worth it at the rate I fell right now my antibiotic is not even helping my weakness but I know on the 20th it will go away SO GET IT TAKEN CARE OF HUNNY ITS WORTH IT
    matt23503 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2009, 11:40 PM
    Yea I need to I got 2 really bad theeth I have a lot of those problems you are talking about I'm going to get them out thanks for the help
    _username_ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
    I have bad teeth too. Very bad. Like 95% of my teeth are either rotted or just plain messed up. I'm scared to go to the dentist because I know I will have to have surgery of some kind. And here lately it's gotten worse. My cheek near my bottom gumline has swollen in just one day and it's hard to breathe due to a chest cold out of nowhere. I keep putting it off and putting it off (have all my life) and I want to get something done but I don't know where to start :(

Jul 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
    I have bad teeth too. Very bad. Like 95% of my teeth are either rotted or just plain messed up. I'm scared to go to the dentist because I know I will have to have surgery of some kind. And here lately it's gotten worse. My cheek near my bottom gumline has swollen in just one day and it's hard to breathe due to a chest cold out of nowhere. I keep putting it off and putting it off (have all my life) and I want to get something done but I don't know where to start :(

Jul 17, 2010, 08:38 PM

Oh sorry, didn't mean to double post
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 04:32 AM
    You really have to stop putting it off. If you have infection present it will run through your whole body causing you to feel unwell. This kind of infection has been linked to stroke, heart attack, respiratory problems and death. Call a dentist today and start making a plan for your teeth. I am sure the only thing they will do at the first appointment is take x-rays, do a complete exam, and give you prescription for antibiotics. I urge you to not put it off any longer! Please!
    tmjohnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 05:51 PM
    Yes this is true, I have a bad tooth for the past month and I have really been feeling sick. I started with a painful ear ache and the antibotics given to me for my ears did not work. I went to the dentist for the tooth and low and behold I had a infection in my mouth.
    tmjohnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 05:54 PM

True a bad tooth can make you feel very bad. I have a bad tooth for the 6 weeks or so. I got a terrible ear infection. I was given a antibiotic ear drop. The medication did not work. I finally went to the dentist this week and found I have a infection in my mouth. I will be getting this touth extracted on Friday.
    okiegal3269 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 06:17 PM
    I too have very bad teeth, I don't have a single tooth left that is whole. Most of them are rotten and broken off. I live with pain every day. I have no energy to do anything any more. I have let my whole body,looks,everything go straight to hell. I did not do this on purpose, but about 16 years ago I got a infection and could not afford to go to the dentist, so I left it untreated. Now 16 years later that one infection has spread to my entire mouth and body. I cannot afford to go to the dentist and I live in a very small town in Oklahoma where there is no help for this. I wait tables for 2.50 an hour and make maybe 100.00 a week in tips (this would be a good week). I have a disabled husband and 3 children I am supporting so my health is always the last to get dealt with. Because of my teeth I cannot eat anything to hot or cold, nothing at all with sugar in it. Nothing to hard or soft, so I do not eat very much because they don't make food that I can eat that won't hurt my teeth. Anyway, if you have a toothache and can afford to go to the dentist you should go do not put it off because you don't like them, you do not want one small thing turning into 16 years of pain. Trust me it sucks!!
    shepton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 01:37 PM
    I have had dizzy spells and bad sinus like headaches sore eyes,feel run down. Been through all kinds of test and they don't know why I am having this problem. I went to dentist and he sees nothing wrong. I do have a broken tooth but he doesn't think it's a problem.
    bsafe Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
    I had a major tooth infection going on under my front tooth crown for well over 2 years. I take meticulous care of my teeth and am diligent about keeping my 6 month check ups. I complained of an odor for well over 2 years and a bad taste in my mouth, but I was reassured everything looked great! Well, after my recent x-rays, it showed half of my tooth missing,severe gum and bone loss. Resulting in a front tooth extraction, bone and tissue graft and now I have to walk around with a partial denture until all heals for a more functioning tooth. Meanwhile, the costs are through the roof because of this dental office's negligence.I could have died if this majorly infected tooth got into my bloodstream! When in doubt always DEMAND further investigation about something that doesn't seem right!
    procratinator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
    Just had two cut out yesterday, longer you wait,worse you feel, more expensive it is to get them removed. Just cost $1000 to get two top back teeth cut out and it hurts. Only alternative to oral surgeon is a dental school(scary)dentist is cheaper waste no time!
    kimber2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
    I am having (3) lower teeth cut out on Monday, due to my own fear of going to a dentist. For the last year I have felt really rotten all over. My dentist had to prescribe an antibiotic for me to take for a week before having this procedure done. I just wanted you to know that bad teeth can really be very dangerous an abcess can go directly to your brain or your heart. I know that after Monday I will make dental hygiene one of my top priorities!
    lakeisha_newton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 05:26 PM
    I have this toothache it comes and goes . Lastnight it started around one . I woke up and my whole body hurt it even hurt for my husband to put his arm around me . Back pain , neck pain pain up and down my arm . It was horrible . I took 4 different kinds of pain meds . Got to take more before I go to bed . Cause it always comes back full throttle the next day . I got my wizdom tooth pulled . I have 5 more teeth that need to be pulled also . When I was in school in 96 I got hit in the mouth with a softball . Never got it fixed . I was supposed to have a root canal and now those two teeth are decaying . It hurts so bad along with my wisdom tooth that is descending into my gum only a small portion is sticking out and that portion has a hole in it . In other words get them pulled as soon as possible . No matter how much you brush , flooss etc . It won't go away .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Wisdom tooth [ 4 Answers ]

Why do my wisdom teeth smell?

What is wrong with my tooth? [ 4 Answers ]

over a month ago, I had a crown down on a bottom back tooth. After several days, I was still not able to bite down on it without pain. I went back to the dentist, and he "adjusted it" and sent me off. That has happened 4 times. Each time he adjusts it and says "that should take care of it." THis...

Tooth.. [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any activities that is not allowed if u just went ot the dentist to pull your teeth?

Discolored tooth [ 6 Answers ]

I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?

View more questions Search