Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Jan 3, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Water Heater pilot keeps turning off
    I have a Whirlpool water heater that is only about 3 years old. About a year after we installed it, we had to replace the thermal couple (I think that's how you spell it) because the pilot was not staying on.

Well, it's happening again. When we notice there is no hot water in the house, we go outside and sure enough, the pilot is not on. We go through the procedure of turning it on, it does with no problem, but will later turn off. It may stay lit for an hour, or if we're lucky, overnight. Can't figure it out so we're assuming it's that little thermo couple again... Whirlpool customer service has us on hold forever, so I thought I'd turn to my buddies here at AMHD

Help...
    waynesworld Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
    It sounds to me like "dirty gas"... yeah, I know, that's an open invitation for a reply...
    Seriously, it sounds like there's an interruption on the pressure, or trash (very FINE particles) that are causing the pilot light to go out or clog-up.
    You need to be in contact with your natural gas supplier, not Whirlpool about the problem first.
    You should have them check everything that leads to the water heater first,(and possibly the ENTIRE house), then contact Whirlpool about a possibly faulty product.
    Just my humble opinion...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Hi Mom,

While it could be the thermal couple you replaced has gone bad and "dirty gas" that has trash in it I have yet another explanation. Look next to the gas meter and see if there isn't a short piece of pipe that's pointing down from a tee in the gas line. This is called a "drip loop" and is there to trap any moisture in the gas before it enters your house.
    This drip loop can load up with water until it spills over into the gas entering your pilot light causing it to go out.
    The solution is to shut the gas off at the meter and drain the drip loop. Sometimes the drip loop will have a petcock at the base but more ofter there's just a pipe cap that must be unscrewed. Good luck and let us know. Tom
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 06:46 AM
    I have also seen a situation where a little bit of soot or ash formed on the tip of the jet that the pilot light gas comes out of, and cleaning the tip solved the problem. If it happens repeatedly, talk to the gas company about dirty gas.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Jan 4, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Thanks guys, my hubby is at work so I'll have to do this stuff myself since he doesn't get out until way after dark. I will look into the dirty gas (uh, yuck), the drip loop and checking for soot or ash on the tip of the jet.

I'll let you guys know what happens...

Again thanks a ton for the quick responses!
    cchanilall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
    I was told it's the thermocoupling went bad on my gas water heater I change it but have the same problem pilot light just keep turning off
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2011, 09:16 PM

Hello Cchanilall,

This is a 4 years old post, Please start your own thread that it will have more visibilty for the experts to respond.

Before you post follow Tom's instructions in post #3, Thanks.

John
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 09:55 PM

Thermocouples usually work or they don't work. If they don't work you can't light pilot light. Newer water heaters (at least some) have sealed combustion chambers with fresh air inlets. If you have this type make sure screens over air inlet is clean.

As a test for a combustion air problem you could temporarily leave the inner cover off.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 08:17 AM

Hmmm... not so easy to work with these newer heaters.

If you do have a closed combustion chamber water heater (see image) then I would advise you to call the water heater manufacturer and chat with the technical department about your issues...

Could be a VAPOR SENSOR, a THERMOSTAT (gas valve) issue, a flame sensor, a combustion air make-up issue, a clogged flame arrestor plate issue, even a battery in the thermocouple connection if you have an AO smith water heater... ;)

Finally, if you do open the combustion door to double check for an air make-up issue then the manufacturer requires that you purchase a new GASKET KIT so that the seal to the door can be replaced to maintain the integrity of the closed combustion chamber and keep it safe from explosive vapors entering the combustion chamber, OK?

If you don't have a closed combustion chamber type water heater, let us know that and we will advise on that.

Let us know your thoughts here...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Pilot light turns off when I turn my heater off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help with this problem I've been having with my heater. I have a Day & Night heater and whenever I turn the heater off, the pilot light goes off and I have to manually light the pilot each time. Any clues on what could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

Water heater pilot light problems [ 31 Answers ]

Pilot went out, no problem relighting. BUT when I turn up the thermostat, the flame gets out of control and escapes from the two protective doors. It has started melting the plastic on the outside of the tank around the drain valve.

Turning off water for faucet replacement [ 4 Answers ]

My husband attempted the rather easy job of replacing a kitchen faucet. After turning off water supply, water continues to dribble out of faucet.. He says there some problem in turn off valve. How does he replace valve if water is running out of the faucet? We DO have a well for water supply.

View more questions Search