Ask
    rubeb729 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Is there free cdl training for felons?
    Just a quick question.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 04:56 PM

Quick answer. None that I know of. Depending on how long ago you got out or how long ago your conviction was you may be able to sign on with a company that offers training in exchange for working for that company for at least a year or so exclusively. You can apply for a Pell Grant (which takes months and is not guaranteed you'll get it) or contact a truck driving school that offers financial help (loan) from the government. Call a lot of schools and ask questions before you part with your money. Also what kind of felony were you convicted of? Most companies don't like drug felonies and find that they are hard to hire on due to their insurance company's strict guidelines. Remember it's not the trucking company it's their insurance company that calls the shots if you get hired on or not. You'll be spending about $5-7K for the truck driving school and at least a few months to be properly trained before you can get your CDL.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 05:02 PM

No, there may of course be some local programs though local non profits helping ex cons. But in general no there is no major program
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2010, 06:17 PM

Rube, check with the DMV in your state, it may be easier to get your CDL's than you think.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Rube, check with the DMV in your state, it may be easier to get your CDL's than you think.
    You must take a written test AND a road test. Plus you need to be able to literally go around the rig and the trailer with the DMV person and name everything on the rig correctly. Isn't just a matter of taking a written test. Not that easy. Plus you need to be able to actually DRIVE the rig as you will have to supply your own rig for the road test. How is this guy going to "borrow" a rig for a test let alone learn how to drive it. The DMV does not provide a rig to take a road test in... duh...
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 02:52 PM

My grandson, who is NOT a felon, had to pay a few thousand dollars to learn to drive a big rig, complete the testing, and get his CDL.

They do have student loans, so why not go that route? That's the route he took.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 4, 2010, 02:05 PM

The following information from
    e-How:

If you're a convicted felon looking to set your life straight and get a college degree, there is a way to get financial aid to help you achieve those goals. As long as you have not been convicted of a drug-related felony, federal grants and loans are still available you.

The rest of the instructions follow here:

How to Get Financial Aid for College if a Convicted Felon | eHow.com

Just a point of thought - if you do get your CDL, you may not be allowed entrance into Canada. Which may or may not be a huge deal for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I get free cdl training with a felony 5 years old? [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I find free cdl training with a felony 5 years old?

Cdl a free training with decent pay [ 2 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

Free Truck School training for felons [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a truck school or company for felons

Are there any free cdl classes for felons? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a ex-felon wo has been in the same career for fifthteen years. But, I'm looking to chang careers. I love to travel. Been coast to caast. So, driving while I travel, I think I can relauch my dreams. Are there any oganizations. Who provide his service, for felons? I'm unemployed. But, not use to...

View more questions Search