Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Black_Crow_King Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 01:40 AM
    Outdoor electrical outlet got wet - trip switch tripped
    Hi,

I hope you can help. I need some advise on my outside electrical outlet. Last night we had a heavy storm and the electricity tripped on one section of the house including the outside outlet. The trip switch couldn't be reset (it just kept tripping).
    Suspecting the outdoor outlet I examined it and noticed that some rain had managed to get inside - so I think it's safe to say that this is what caused the trip.

My question is this - Is it safe to just reset the electricity once the outlet has dried out? Or should I look at replacing the outlet, or having an electrician take a look at it? What is the likelihood of something like this causing a fire or anything?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    John
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 05:59 AM

All good questions

First let the receptacle dry out. Then reset the breaker. If the breaker holds, then I would leave it activated and get a new weather proof utility box. If water got in there once, it will do it again.

If the breaker trips immeadiatley, then more than likely you have an upstream problem and you will have to follow the circuit backwards until the fault is found and removed from the circuit.
    Black_Crow_King Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks Don,
    I will do that - how long do you think it will take until it's completely dry? (I am mister novice!)
    Cheers
    John
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Any electrical device that gets wet needs to be replaced.

Even if it dries out, it may never be the same.

Esp a GFI receptacle, due the solid state components inside.

Jul 15, 2010, 09:16 AM

That would depend on your local weather. Right now, here in Va. Beach. The temp is at 85, sunny and clear.

Of course 5 minutes from now it could be either 90 or 75, it just depends on the wind.

I would wait at least 24 hours. Just flip the breaker and see what happens.

Jul 15, 2010, 09:21 AM

Based on the short term, I would follow TK's expert advice and replace both the receptacle and the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor electrical outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Have an outdoor electrical outlet that has worked fine until a power outage. Now there is no power into it. Outlet has two plugs with two rectangular "buttons" between plugs. Tried pushing either button - NO GO. Checked all other outside outlets all fine. Checked circuit breakers all fine. On all...

Can wet sprinkler wires short electrical outlet outside. [ 1 Answers ]

I was working on a sprinkler wire that neede repair. It got we and the electric outlet outside won't work. The main electric sprinkler control box was connected to the outled that won't work now. Circuit breaker did not trip. What is most likely cause of problem and suggested remedy?:eek:

Outdoor electrical outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Outdoor outlet on stake in the ground for fish pond pump just stopped working. Pump is okay, Ran extension cord to it. Ground circuit is okay. Checked reset button. How can I find out where problem is?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Outdoor outlet not working -- wet? [ 1 Answers ]

Our outdoor front entry outlet isn't working, and there is no reset button, nor is there a switch listed on our fuse box for that outlet. Outlets in indoor rooms that are closest to this outlet are working fine. We've had some rain this week, right around the time the outlet quit working. Is there...

View more questions Search